Help on how to strength train at home?

Options

Replies

• StusPrincess08
    StusPrincess08 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do all my work outs at home too! with my hubby

I am doing the P90X Double right now, and I run on the treadmill as well 7 days a week between the two.

I use dumbells and resistence bands for the p90X - its worked great so far, almost at 1 year on here.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight workouts. You can do a lot with your bodyweight.

Just do a basic full body workout with one (at first) or two (as you get more advanced) exercise from each of the 4 main exercise familes:
    Upper Body Pushing, Upper Body Pulling, Legs, and Core

- For pushing, work whatever pushup variation is appropriate for your strength level (not too easy, if you can do it, its appropriate)
    - For pullups, work up to being able to do chinups then pullups (there are lots of ways to work up to them, google around and find the best path for you).
    - For legs, work up to being able to do single leg squats (pistols). (again, there are lots of ways, google will help find the best path for you).
    - For the core, there are a million different easy to find exercises, core work has oversaturated the fitness industry. Try to do as hard of exercises as you can.

Always be trying to work toward doing something harder, adding reps/time to what you are doing, and improving your form. This is how you progress and get stronger with bodyweight, as opposed to stacking plates on the bar.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save for later.
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great info - bump for later
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Use your weights for door stops & paper weights.

Look up
    Nerd fitness (beginner body weight article)
    You are your own gym
    Uniquebodyweight exercises

I've heard convict conditioning is good too

Once you start finding out the near endless amount of body weight exercises available, the world is your gym
  • missyj1115
    missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Options
    GREAT ADVICE EVERYONE!!! THANKS A MILLION!!
  • JaimieAG
    JaimieAG Posts: 48
    Options
    http://www.dailyhiit.com/

I enjoy compact workouts. In. Out. Done. Working a large array of muscle groups. Something new everyday. So this works for me.

When I was truly spoiled and had a personal trainer, this is what we used to do. The only difference is that we'd have a 3-D person there correcting us. I recomend a mirror to watch form. Esp on things like planks.

You can buy additional equipment (sand bags, etc.) but you don't have to. Body's the gym on this as well for the most part.

The trainer friggin looks like Laura Croft XD. I love it.
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    just rec'd this email the other day; haven't tried it yet but plan too....

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    also google Tabata Workouts; i have a love/hate relationship w/ this...
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Look into something like Mark Laurens Be Your Own Gym, or Convict Conditioning,
    basically calisthenic workouts that let you use your bodyweight for resistance, with you progressing from relatively easier to relatively more challenging forms of a given exercise (basically by adjusting leverage).
  • JoshRodenberg
    Options
    If you have an android phone check out the jefit app it has quite a bit in it

i work out at home with some barbells and dumbbells and a bench
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Convict COnditioning

You Are Your Own Gym

My favourite kind
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing No More Trouble Zones from Jillian Michaels. It is a great strengthening DVD and you can up the weights as you get stronger. I alternate it with some of her other workouts.
  • loriband
    loriband Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great information!!! Thank you!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My.fitness bliss.com

You put in the equipment you have and which area you want to work (shoulders, legs, chest) and it shows you your options for exercises and gives the details on how to perform them properly.

Bookmarked this! Thanks.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - thanks for great tips folks
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    Bumping this for later.