Motorcycles who rides?

Options

Replies

• slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I take mine out at least 4 days a week, weather permitting. I enjoy riding it to work, too. =)
  • Lmbushby
    Lmbushby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ride all year long down in Texas. I ride a 2012 tri-glide and came in 1st place for the most miles driven in a year. I had my bike for 7 months and put on 15,000 miles. rode it from Houston area all the way to Sturgis last august. I just love it. nothing better than the wind in your face. Oh and I just started riding in April of 2012.
  • bridgettetodd9
    bridgettetodd9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do and love it! Vera is my little red Ninja 250. A nice little commuter (75MPG!) with zip when I want it. Be safe out there!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    My husband and I ride! We have a 1987 Custom Harley Davidson Softtail and I LOVE to ride! We are heading to Laconia, NH tomorrow morning for the 90th annual Motorcycle Week!!

8 days of bikes, beer and ( o Y o ) !!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm just a beginner though. I took my motorcycle safety course over mother's day weekend and got my license....then had a used 2003 Suzuki SV650 fall in my lap a couple days before memorial day weekend. I've done endless loops around the block in our neighborhood, but due to work and weather, only two short rides (like 30 miles total) out in traffic with my fiance. I think he's ridden my bike more than I have (while his 2008 Suzuki B-King was down getting a custom paint job done). My butt was tired of riding on the back of the B-King (it was way more comfortable than his 2003 Yamaha V-Max, though, which he traded in for the B-King, because the upright seating position on the Vmax bothered his back). :)

picture.php?albumid=1265&pictureid=4833

edit - eek! sorry the pic is too big to fit right :(
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm just a beginner though. I took my motorcycle safety course over mother's day weekend and got my license....then had a used 2003 Suzuki SV650 fall in my lap a couple days before memorial day weekend. I've done endless loops around the block in our neighborhood, but due to work and weather, only two short rides (like 30 miles total) out in traffic with my fiance. I think he's ridden my bike more than I have (while his 2008 Suzuki B-King was down getting a custom paint job done). My butt was tired of riding on the back of the B-King (it was way more comfortable than his 2003 Yamaha V-Max, though, which he traded in for the B-King, because the upright seating position on the Vmax bothered his back). :)

Be careful on that, that's a lot of bike for a beginner!
  • gobonas99
    Options

Oh...I definitely will be! :) If the weather ever cooperates when I'm not at work, we'll be doing lots of practice riding. Good thing is from our house, if we go west we have open country roads with little traffic, if we go north we have a nice little town for practicing driving in traffic without a ton of actual traffic (as long as we don't go out on the same night the racetrack runs), if we go south we have a busy "strip" to practice riding in heavier stop-and-go traffic, and if we go east we have the interstate. Plus, the 650 gives me "room to grow", so it will hopefully last me a long time. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

My first bike was a 2000 model. It did me a lot of good. But you will ultimately reach a point on that bike where you will have to either a) invest money into upgrading the suspension (assuming it's stock), or b) upgrading to a bike that comes with better suspension. The stock suspension is known to be the weak link in the bike and assuming you like to hustle around corners you will reach a point before you're even past the "beginner" level where the suspension is what's holding you back. After 5 years I sold it and upgraded to my current bike, a 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja, and it was a bit of a gamble for me because I wasn't sure I was ready. I never really reached a point on the SV650 where I felt comfortable or safe riding it like it was anything other than a commuter. In turns it didn't feel planted. It felt like if I so much as breathed wrong, the bike would lose it mid-corner. I wasn't sure if it was me, or the bike. When I got the ZX6R, I realized it was the poor grade suspension holding me back. getting the front forks resprung and having heavier weight oil added, as well as completely replacing the rear shock, are MUSTS for the bike unless you plan on using it for anything other than a commuter in basic traffic. Beyond that, it is a GREAT bike.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I ride a 2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (black and chrome)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I ride a 2002 Suzuki 600 GRX (black and chrome)

You mean GSX-R600?
  • gobonas99
    Options
    My first bike was a 2000 model. It did me a lot of good. But you will ultimately reach a point on that bike where you will have to either a) invest money into upgrading the suspension (assuming it's stock), or b) upgrading to a bike that comes with better suspension. The stock suspension is known to be the weak link in the bike and assuming you like to hustle around corners you will reach a point before you're even past the "beginner" level where the suspension is what's holding you back. After 5 years I sold it and upgraded to my current bike, a 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja, and it was a bit of a gamble for me because I wasn't sure I was ready. I never really reached a point on the SV650 where I felt comfortable or safe riding it like it was anything other than a commuter. In turns it didn't feel planted. It felt like if I so much as breathed wrong, the bike would lose it mid-corner. I wasn't sure if it was me, or the bike. When I got the ZX6R, I realized it was the poor grade suspension holding me back. getting the front forks resprung and having heavier weight oil added, as well as completely replacing the rear shock, are MUSTS for the bike unless you plan on using it for anything other than a commuter in basic traffic. Beyond that, it is a GREAT bike.

I *believe* (though I totally admit that I'm not sure) that the suspension issues were corrected with the "2nd gen" SV in 03 (when they went to fuel injection). Either way, my fiance has been riding for almost 25 years, and he's ridden my SV and says he loves how it handles - especially in corners. He said it was more fun than his B-King :)

I'm not sure what you mean by using it other than a commuter? I have no plans to race the thing. LOL! :) I will only be riding it with my fiance or with our little "motorcycle gang" (a group of friends who ride together occasionally). :) At this point, I don't even have plans to ride it on my own to work, although that may change in the future. :)

ETA - I'm glad that you like your new Kawa ZX6R. I'm not a fan of the full fairing "R" bikes though. I don't like how they look (nor do I like the fact that the "R" adds about $500 a year to the insurance LOL). :)
  • shaypearl
    Options

You mean GSX-R600?

Yes, thank you, I made that correct. Let's you know how often I ride it. Its my first. Its been sitting for a while now, I plan on getting back to practicing before I hit the highway.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

You mean GSX-R600?

Yes, thank you, I made that correct. Let's you know how often I ride it. Its my first. Its been sitting for a while now, I plan on getting back to practicing before I hit the highway.

Good call. That's really not a good bike for beginners. You have a very tough learning experience ahead of you. And a lot of practice needed.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I *believe* (though I totally admit that I'm not sure) that the suspension issues were corrected with the "2nd gen" SV in 03 (when they went to fuel injection). Either way, my fiance has been riding for almost 25 years, and he's ridden my SV and says he loves how it handles - especially in corners. He said it was more fun than his B-King :)

I'm not sure what you mean by using it other than a commuter? I have no plans to race the thing. LOL! :) I will only be riding it with my fiance or with our little "motorcycle gang" (a group of friends who ride together occasionally). :) At this point, I don't even have plans to ride it on my own to work, although that may change in the future. :)

ETA - I'm glad that you like your new Kawa ZX6R. I'm not a fan of the full fairing "R" bikes though. I don't like how they look (nor do I like the fact that the "R" adds about $500 a year to the insurance LOL). :)

From what I understand the 2nd gen model used the same suspension as the first gen.

My insurance is only $312 a year, full coverage =)
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over one week out from a 4 day ride down to Nor Cal on my FZ6 with a couple buddies. We'll be taking the pacific coast highway. Very excited :)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great ride Niko. My bucket list ride is a ride around the US, I have it mapped out, it'll take 19 days of 8 hours a day riding, but we'll take a month doing it. It starts out going south and then heading west, towards Grand Canyon, then a good stretch up the PCH up into Oregon, then head back east, hit Yosemite and through the northern states. I think I figured it to be around 8000 miles. But, that's a story for another day, as I'm no where near able to take that much time off of work.

Thursday my wife and I are leaving for a long weekend to the Poconos. It's our 30th anniversary. It's about a 200 mile ride up there. We have a place at a bed and breakfast. We're going to do day rides Fri/Sat/Sun and then ride home Monday. Not a monster trip mile wise, probably under 1000 total, but we'll explore some nice mountain twisties and catch some beautiful scenery.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    The 'around the US' ride is on my list as well. Being from Minnesota, I think I will break it into two trips to make it easier to get it accomplished. Do east one year, and west the next.
  • Happy2Shop21
    Options
    I ride a 200cc dirt bike, does that count? I love riding dirt, but terrified to ever ride street.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    My favourite engine of any bike I've had was my KTM 200EXC - I suspect mine might have actually been setup like an SX, as it was a bit all or nothing, but was brilliant when you focused and making it work.
  • shaypearl
    Options

You mean GSX-R600?

Good call. That's really not a good bike for beginners. You have a very tough learning experience ahead of you. And a lot of practice needed.

So far, I've been doing ok. I still have to get used to using that back break when I'm at a stop sign or on a hill. Hills still scare the crap out of me, that why I have not been on it on it a while. I stalled on a hill and it took me 3 tries to recover while holding up a long line of cars. I did go to driving school to get my motorcycle license but they did not have us practicing on hills.