Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• beautifulregardless
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

Nah, you're alright. I'll just have some fresh vegetables instead of whatever that is in that packet.

Why don't you consider substituting your processed meat imitation for some fresh cooked lean animal flesh instead? Or would that be offensive to you to be told what to eat?

Works both ways, you see....

I'm not offended at all. :)
    I eat fresh cooked animal & processed meat imitation. & You said "Why don't you consider" you didn't say "YOU MUST DO THIS!" So I'm alright with it :)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    When they make a product that's not made of wheat gluten and doesn't make me ill, I'll consider it. If they had a non-GMO option that was wheat-free, that'd be cool too.

No painful wheat burgers for me, thanks.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

Read my mind!!

Fantastic. Thats how I feel. I was a vegetarian for years! 6 years actually, and when I was a vegetarian I was my heaviest! Eating all those meat free subs and my purse was empty. I thought it was healthier (never did it for the oh no animals--my dads a butcher) reason. I thought it would help me lose some poundage. It did for a while, then BANG! back on with 20 more. Screw it, Im going to stick my my perfectly butchered, responsibly sourced meat. The keeps me full and has one ingrediant. Also...Bacon.

Lol are you one who posted "Bacon" twice already? Lol you're cute. I like bacon too. Let's eat bacon.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Because tasty, tasty meat...

very tasty tasty meat
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
  • bulldog46208
    Options
    Last month, I had Morningstar burger at a Super Bowl party. Then later had a big meatball, they were both yummy. IMO, the Morningstar burger is healthier than ground beef. Every food has its positives and negatives, my concern with the Morningstar burger is the sodium content. Also, the processing destroys some of the antioxidants called isoflavones.

Shelled edamame is a great alternative to both. They are unprocessed, whole foods which are a very good source of protein, fiber and antioxidants. For those concerned about non-organic foods, organic edamame is readily available is grocery stores.

I'm glad the Original Poster started this thread. Food swaps or small chunking is a great way to eat healthier or improve oneself. Every once in awhile I catch "Hungry Girl" on TV and she has terrific ideas for food swaps.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    Last month, I had Morningstar burger at a Super Bowl party. Then later had a big meatball, they were both yummy. IMO, the Morningstar burger is healthier than ground beef. Every food has its positives and negatives, my concern with the Morningstar burger is the sodium content. Also, the processing destroys some of the antioxidants called isoflavones.

Shelled edamame is a great alternative to both. They are unprocessed, whole foods which are a very good source of protein, fiber and antioxidants. For those concerned about non-organic foods, organic edamame is readily available is grocery stores.

I'm glad the Original Poster started this thread. Food swaps or small chunking is a great way to eat healthier or improve oneself. Every once in awhile I catch "Hungry Girl" on TV and she has terrific ideas for food swaps.

Thankyou for the knowledge :)
    & maybe what I posted wasn't "Small chunking" because people are pretty serious about their meat, lol. :P
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and find this thread to be obnoxious.

What did you expect, OP? People to look up and say "yeah, you know that sounds like a great idea". All this does is gives people a venue to sing praises for meat.

Lol ... Drama, drama, drama.

It is obnoxious... Your comment is obnoxious too.
    So it's hypocritical of you to say the post is when you are.

Lol it's the INTERNET as I just typed. Relax, geesh. You don't like this topic? Click the X. That's the simple thing about the internet. You can SIMPLY x out your problem. Save the drama for real life, lol. But as most people do, it's easier to fight a battle over the internet, right? Hiding behind a screen?

When you open up a forum on the internet, you're inviting people's opinions - whether they agree with you or not. If you aren't prepared to handle that, write it in a diary. As they say, if you can't handle the heat, get outta the kitchen. I found your post on a public forum to be counterproductive, and I don't think it's that much of an issue to tell you that.

I would love for people to turn to veggie burgers instead of meat burgers and make more compassionate choices. But things like this are completely counterproductive, and actually winds up encouraging people to do what you'd rather they didn't. And I find that upsetting.

I agree. I don't like to be converted.. this thread sounds like some kind of promo for Morning Star

^This.
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-6395841.html

All of those products are made with Genetically Modified soy products. Not only are those toxic and not processed well by our bodies, they are also supporting Agro giants like Monsanto, who are putting small farms out of business.

I'll just stick to whole foods, thanks.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to be a vegetarian, I'm going to eat vegetables and natural foods, not ones designed to simulate meat. And the ingredients in Bocas and Morningstar are probably as bad for you as anything else out there. If you want to eat meat, eat meat. If you want to be a vegetarian, be a vegetarian, but looking to artificial stuff to simulate meat sort of seems nearly disingenuous.

There are plenty of natural, clean foods available if you want to be a vegetarian.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Because tasty, tasty meat...

^^^^^^THIS!!!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    They taste disgusting to me. I'd rather have a salad than a fake burger.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is a joke right? Why would you eat soy-based franken-foods over real, ACTUAL food? Meat is food. Sorry of you feel differently. And "low-fat"? Fat, my friend, is YOUR friend.

Search "Why is soy bad for you".
    I realize you can search the same for "meat" and get lots of hits that meat is bad, but if you use COMMON SENSE, you would have to admit that animal-based food has obviously been here, for oh, millions and millsions of years and is obviously the way we've evolved to eat (along with those crops we can gather -- lots of yummy veggies, fruits, tubers, nuts, seeds.) Why does this continue to elude people? We've been here a LONG time, eating this way a LONG time. Maybe it's right?? Hmmm, go figure.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    They taste disgusting to me. I'd rather have a salad than a fake burger.

Salads good. There's dressings I just found with only 15 calories but some reason it tasted like sugar... bleh.

"Poppy seed dressing" & I only eat them fried.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Boca vegetarian burgers are also very delicious, and cheap.

never could understand why people buy food that looks like meat when they don't wanna eat meat
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    This is a joke right? Why would you eat soy-based franken-foods over real, ACTUAL food? Meat is food. Sorry of you feel differently. And "low-fat"? Fat, my friend, is YOUR friend.

Search "Why is soy bad for you".
    I realize you can search the same for "meat" and get lots of hits that meat is bad, but if you use COMMON SENSE, you would have to admit that animal-based food has obviously been here, for oh, millions and millsions of years and is obviously the way we've evolved to eat (along with those crops we can gather -- lots of yummy veggies, fruits, tubers, nuts, seeds.) Why does this continue to elude people? We've been here a LONG time, eating this way a LONG time. Maybe it's right?? Hmmm, go figure.

I like your point.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused by all of this. I'm just going to walk away now.
    The more I read this, the more I want to throat punch something.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    because why?
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Because organic grass fed saturated fat from real meat is awesome! and processed junk isn't!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

Nah, you're alright. I'll just have some fresh vegetables instead of whatever that is in that packet.

Why don't you consider substituting your processed meat imitation for some fresh cooked lean animal flesh instead? Or would that be offensive to you to be told what to eat?

Works both ways, you see....

I'm not offended at all. :)
    I eat fresh cooked animal & processed meat imitation. & You said "Why don't you consider" you didn't say "YOU MUST DO THIS!" So I'm alright with it :)

Cool. I don't intend to offend. But after a while, evangelising begins to grate on the nerves, so another person asking why you do or don't eat something gets a harsher response.

And in any case, a large flat mushroom tastes a whole lot better than that crud.