Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I find so many vegan and veggie foods (other than vegetables) are highly processed and full of ingredients I cant pronounce or spell. I respect people want to eat it to be healthier but in the end if your eating processed "Not Dogs" or "Hot Dogs" your still eating processed and chemicals you shouldnt be consuming. Chicken is chicken and tastes like chicken - soya that is mixed with 10,000 to taste like chicken is just chemicals cant be good for you. I do like lots of veg though - eat that!

On that note i watched a vegan documentary (cant remember the name of it) and one of the "surprising vegan" foods they mentioned was Oreos. They lost me in that moment. If you have to turn to junk to live then why bother eating this way at all. I thought it was about nutrition which is how the documentary started - on the Health benefits - there aint nothing healthy in an Oreo!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    All animal products have ZERO fiber. Instead all animal products have cholesterol. ALL.

Plants have fiber. They are the ONLY source for dietary fiber. And plants have ZERO cholesterol. No plant has any cholesterol in it.

Choose foods made from plants. In fact, make plants your food, and combine them yourself in delicious ways, instead of relying on a company to combine them into a food for you.
    It's ok to eat cholesterol, you know. You may not want to, and that's cool. Or maybe your doctor told you not to, and hey, always a good idea to listen to a doctor you trust, so that's cool. But aside from that, the fact that ALL animal products--ALL--that is A - L - L -- I mean, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM--contain cholesterol is pretty irrelevant.

And I do mean ALL. Ehh-elle-elle. *A*L*L*.

edit: Just to clarify, I mean there are NO EXCEPTIONS.

Except for the causal link between dietary cholesterol raising serum cholesterol. And elevated serum cholesterol causing atherosclerosis. So yeah, if you are happy with having a little atherosclerosis, eat cholesterol. If you don't want the condition/disease, eliminate it from your diet. Everyone has the choice.

But don't argue that consuming animal products doesn't contribute towards atherosclerosis, because you're deluding yourself.

(I love how you cracked wise, good stuff!)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Because meat, poultry and pork are far more delicious and nutritious.

BTW - we have canine teeth because we are carnivores by nature. But if you want to be a herbivore that is fine, just dont try to press your views on me!

Yes *daydreaming of bacon now*
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of this but now I want a burger. Dang.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I find so many vegan and veggie foods (other than vegetables) are highly processed and full of ingredients I cant pronounce or spell. I respect people want to eat it to be healthier but in the end if your eating processed "Not Dogs" or "Hot Dogs" your still eating processed and chemicals you shouldnt be consuming. Chicken is chicken and tastes like chicken - soya that is mixed with 10,000 to taste like chicken is just chemicals cant be good for you. I do like lots of veg though - eat that!

On that note i watched a vegan documentary (cant remember the name of it) and one of the "surprising vegan" foods they mentioned was Oreos. They lost me in that moment. If you have to turn to junk to live then why bother eating this way at all. I thought it was about nutrition which is how the documentary started - on the Health benefits - there aint nothing healthy in an Oreo!

I think you and I probably watched the same show.

I think the point of the Oreo thing was that when you're transitioning into a new diet, whatever it may be, that there are foods you can have so you can gradually work your way over. Cold turkey is hard for a lot of people.

It's the same idea as someone having fast food while losing weight. Is it the most healthy thing you can eat? No. Can you fit it in your calorie budget? Yes. Is an occasional fast food meal going to derail someone? No. Same with Oreos.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Why not? Becuase i try to get as much of my nutrition as possible from real food, close to its natural state.

Very hard and getting harder with GMO, etc.

But that is my goal.

Good luck!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.

I don't mind substituting beef burgers with vegetable burgers sometimes (or salmon burgers, or turkey burgers, etc.). But I don't ever buy the overly processed Morning Star brands. It's simple and cheaper to make my own, and mine taste better.

Agreed. So many great recipes for foods so you don't have to buy processed and can make bulk and save.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Except for the causal link between dietary cholesterol raising serum cholesterol. And elevated serum cholesterol causing atherosclerosis. So yeah, if you are happy with having a little atherosclerosis, eat cholesterol. If you don't want the condition/disease, eliminate it from your diet. Everyone has the choice.

But don't argue that consuming animal products doesn't contribute towards atherosclerosis, because you're deluding yourself.
    If eliminating all cholesterol from your diet would ensure not having the condition/disease, that would be one thing. But, alas, it can still come about even if you don't eat cholesterol. You can, perhaps, lower your risk... but new research is suggesting that causal link between consuming dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol is not as dire as originally thought. I don't know whether the old research or the new research is more correct, but I'm pretty sure that you don't either. Choosing to eat less or no meat to be on the safe side is cool, and I get that, but your post came across as being well beyond the safe side, on over into the radical area.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Too much soy. I avoid soy whenever possible.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

the downside to meat is animal abuse.
    the destruction of the rain forest
    the crappy (literally) living conditions and feed of these animals makes for poor nutrion in the end result.
    chickens with arseinc is one example
    there are alot of downsides to eating meat
  • TheRoyalOrder
    TheRoyalOrder Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

Because I am at the top of the food chain. I did not fight my way there to eat vegetables. Actually I guess I am a second hand vegetarian, cows eat grass and I eat cows! And why call these things burgers? I mean call it what its.....Vegetable formed to look like real food. A burger is meat formed in a patty!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Because meat, poultry and pork are far more delicious and nutritious.

BTW - we have canine teeth because we are carnivores by nature. But if you want to be a herbivore that is fine, just dont try to press your views on me!

Yes *daydreaming of bacon now*

That's a good one. Look in the mirror and compare your teeth, first to a feline (a carnivore), and then to a gorilla (an herbivore). You tell me which is closer. Because someone labeled two of your teeth "canine" because of the position in the human mouth says little about their function. Carnivores' teeth are made to kill living animals (along with the other weapons they possess like claws), rip the hide from the muscle and tissues, and consume the tissue whole. Their digestive systems function so that nutrients can be extracted from that raw tissue and quickly pass the non-beneficial content of that "food".

Your teeth and digestive system don't function even remotely like a carnivore. If you ate your food like a carnivore did, you would get sick and eventually die. Because you buy meat, cook it up and eat it doesn't make you a carnivore. It means you're bought and paid for by modern marketing and have the means to be able to afford to buy what they tell you to buy. And because it tastes good.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

the downside to meat is animal abuse.
    the destruction of the rain forest
    the crappy (literally) living conditions and feed of these animals makes for poor nutrion in the end result.
    chickens with arseinc is one example
    there are alot of downsides to eating meat

Buy local, hunt and raise your own livestock. Problem solved.

As far as the pain felt by my dinner when I slaughter it, I could care less. There is a food chain for a reason.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

It makes no sense to me to eat a processed, soy ridden, meat substitute when I have the REAL meat straight from a farm.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

This sentence contradicts itself.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If I want to eat something as a substitute for meat it is rice and black beans, lentils or quinoa. Stuff that actually tastes good.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Is this some sort of advertisement? Sure seems like you're pushing product.

Eat what you want and I'll eat what I want. You don't see me trying to force hamburger down your throat.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    wWKLInk.gif
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Currently. I don't eat any other meat aside from fish but hoping to make the transition to being a full vegetarian from next week. Only in the last year did I give up meat and although I love animals, I do occasionally miss lamb and steak but not enough to warrant the fleeting urge. I actually feel better for it as I'm now getting far more veggies and fruit into my diet and have discovered a new love of different foods. And yes, I do eat Quorn and meatfree products (I loooooooooove veggie sausages, especially the Lincolnshire-style from the supermarket) but try not to rely on them too much because they are heavily processed and high in salt. I enjoy discussions surrounding vegetarianism vs eating mood and I do occasionally wind my close friends up (but they know my sense of humour!) about eating mood but I try not to impose my beliefs on others. If they chose to eat chocolate and crisps all day, that's their prerogative, same as if they chose to eat meat...same as mine is NOT to eat meat.

But, I still believe that yes, eating meat is far "cleaner" than processed veggie foods. A chicken is a chicken...a veggie chicken substitute is full of different ingredients.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    No.