Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    "How do you know when someone's a vegetarian? Don't worry they'll tell you."

How do you know when someone's not a vegetarian? Don't worry, they'll respond to any and every forum post with, "bacon."
    Yeah, but bacon tastes good! Pork chops taste good! :wink:
    pulp10807sk.jpg
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    <--- Body made by meat.. Meat works. Just stick to meat. It's what our ancestors ate thousands of years ago. We're not meant to eat processed, frozen veggie burgers. Rather than substitute a fatty beef burger for a veggie burger, why not just substitute it for a leaner healthier type of meat?

I'm also sure our ancestors didn't go down to whole foods to buy their food either. ;P
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:
    CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR

Mmmmm my fav ingredients in a burger.
  • Momma1213
    Momma1213 Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

the downside to meat is animal abuse.
    the destruction of the rain forest
    the crappy (literally) living conditions and feed of these animals makes for poor nutrion in the end result.
    chickens with arseinc is one example
    there are alot of downsides to eating meat

Raise your own, buy local, or hunt. In the mean time.... Have you considered trying Alpaca? They are quite tasty and very low in calories and fat . Plus you can use the fiber to make warm clothing.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love veggie substitutes, but dislike Morning Star products immensely. Way, way too salty.
  • pjizba
    pjizba Posts: 3
    Options
    Non of those ingredients seem questionable to me. Most are derived from plants and animals.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Processed or "created" food scares me. If you want meat, eat meat. You can buy lean meat if you want to avoid all the animal fat. If you can't create it in your kitchen with whole ingredients then you probably shouldn't be eating it.
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My wife (who's a vegetarian) will occasionally ask me if I want to try her veggie burger, or other "meat replacement product". My response is always the same... I respond by asking her why she doesn't ever want to try my steak or bratwurst. She says because she doesn't want to.

There's your answer.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    <--- Body made by meat.. Meat works. Just stick to meat. It's what our ancestors ate thousands of years ago. We're not meant to eat processed, frozen veggie burgers. Rather than substitute a fatty beef burger for a veggie burger, why not just substitute it for a leaner healthier type of meat?

I'm also sure our ancestors didn't go down to whole foods to buy their food either. ;P

His point stands alot more than your's does. At least he is still eating the same type foods our ancestors did.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Last month, I had Morningstar burger at a Super Bowl party. Then later had a big meatball, they were both yummy. IMO, the Morningstar burger is healthier than ground beef. Every food has its positives and negatives, my concern with the Morningstar burger is the sodium content. Also, the processing destroys some of the antioxidants called isoflavones.

Shelled edamame is a great alternative to both. They are unprocessed, whole foods which are a very good source of protein, fiber and antioxidants. For those concerned about non-organic foods, organic edamame is readily available is grocery stores.

I'm glad the Original Poster started this thread. Food swaps or small chunking is a great way to eat healthier or improve oneself. Every once in awhile I catch "Hungry Girl" on TV and she has terrific ideas for food swaps.

Yea, like ground beef is so unhealthy...............at least all it is, is ground up raw beef..............unlike the 35 ingredient fake meat patties.

Since you claim that morning star "burger" (35 or more ingredients) is so much healthier than ground beef (1 ingredient), what makes you stake this claim????

Inquiring minds want to know.
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but not because meat is gross or unhealthy, but because I don't believe in the inhumane treatment of animals before they're killed for food. It's one thing to take somethings life - it's another thing to treat it like garbage, abuse, and torture it, and then kill it. I WISH I did eat meat, because eating chicken would make my dietary life 300% easier, it's just not a choice I make. That being said, while I do eat Morning Star Farms and other vegan/vegetarian faux meats, I kinda consider them junk food. They are made with a bunch of crap, basically, and there are much healthier things out there to eat, meat based or not, for sure.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    This is a joke right? Why would you eat soy-based franken-foods over real, ACTUAL food? Meat is food. Sorry of you feel differently. And "low-fat"? Fat, my friend, is YOUR friend.

Search "Why is soy bad for you".
    I realize you can search the same for "meat" and get lots of hits that meat is bad, but if you use COMMON SENSE, you would have to admit that animal-based food has obviously been here, for oh, millions and millsions of years and is obviously the way we've evolved to eat (along with those crops we can gather -- lots of yummy veggies, fruits, tubers, nuts, seeds.) Why does this continue to elude people? We've been here a LONG time, eating this way a LONG time. Maybe it's right?? Hmmm, go figure.

If you search you can also find a lot of studies and information stating that soy is not all that bad for you provided you are not consuming a very large quantity of it.

Meat is food yes, but some do not choose to consume it.

Everyone can eat however they would like... just don't preach that one way is better than the other. A meat eating diet can be good. A vegan diet can be good. A vegetarian diet can be good. They all can actually be bad as well. No diet is better or worse than the other.

Fermented soy is the only soy that is not bad for us.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with meat, thanks.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I eat meat. I've tried being vegetarian, pescetarian, etc. I like meat and feel better when I eat it. I don't need to eat crazy processed foods to obtain the same benefits I can get from something I kill myself. I don't like many industrial meat practices, so I understand some of your point. I have no moral qualms with eating animals. I am a firm believer in the food chain and unlike many, however remote a chance this is, I am probably more likely to be attacked by a grizzly than car-jacked where I live. So, I also understand that I am part of the food chain.

I like to participate in responsible game management practices to control winter kill, starvation, and chronic diseases in the area wild game populations. I am present in the process of killing animals, butchering them, and eating them...just like humans have been doing for centuries. Meat is not something I just buy at a store. It's something that I see from start to finish...and in a way, I respect and even revere the life force that another animal is giving to me in this process.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Because meat, poultry and pork are far more delicious and nutritious.

BTW - we have canine teeth because we are carnivores by nature. But if you want to be a herbivore that is fine, just dont try to press your views on me!

Yes *daydreaming of bacon now*

Then why does it take forever for meat to process through our body unlike carnivores that get rid of it rather quickly

OMG, such a myth...............meat does not take that long to pass through our bodies........what a crock. Next thing you will be suggesting for us omnivores is to do cleanses to wash that 5 years of meat out of our intestines, LOL :laugh: :laugh:
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    i love eating chicken, fish, i love eating animals and i love eating vegetable both are nice
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

His point stands alot more than your's does. At least he is still eating the same type foods our ancestors did.

I'm sure our ancestors ate prepackaged meats.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Because I raise my own pastured chickens and I eat them. I raise heritage breed Dominiques. They are naturally breeding, and I'm always going to have excess roosters. Always. I only need one rooster for every five to six hens to have maximum fertility. It's not really possible to rehome boys. Everyone wants girls for the eggs, but no one wants a bunch of roosters around that are going to fight. I kill them myself as humanely as possible. I know what they've had to eat their entire lives, I know where they've lived. I take responsibility for feeding myself and my family, and I feel good knowing that our food is clean. When we eat other meat, I buy from local farmers that I know and I approve of their standards.

I am always baffled by the phrase "humane killing".
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

He didnt say he eats at whole foods? That's your assumption. Some of us but our meat from the farm and buy our vegetables from farm shops. Grok most certainly did not live on vegetation alone.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Nice job assuming. For all you know he hunts or raises his own food. Doesn't matter either way, meat is meat. And you question why meat eaters get grouchy at the superior attitude of vegans on these threads. You are a shining example.