Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Replies

• Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

I haven't even read this thread but there's no way in hell that stuff would be part of my diet. Each to their own thou :)

Edit: just to clarify....any food with this amount of ingredients is far far from healthy IMO. Grass fed Beef...one ingredient and I know what it is, Soy is massively genetically modified as is all corn produced in USA. I buy all my meat from grass fed organic farm, it costs no more than the super market
  • this **** got cray cray!

Lmfao. yes, it got "cray cray".. they ALWAYS do . well like 95% of the time.
  • I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

I haven't even read this thread but there's no way in hell that stuff would be part of my diet. Each to their own thou :)

Lol trust me, click the x button, xD. You don't want to read this thread. But you should try homemade ones :) Everyone is posting those are yummy & healthier.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I gotta admit, I do enjoy an occasional morningstar farms veggie burger. THEY'RE DELICIOUS!!!! --- Just like all processed foods! I certainly don't look at them as a "healthy food"
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    If I'm going to eat a veggie burger, or any other substitution, I'm going to do it because that's what I want to eat at the time, not because I want a healthier version. Also, I'll just make my own rather than buy an expensive, processed product. It's a simple thing to eat vegetarian a few nights a week. Spiced lentils, veggie pasta, black bean chili, tacos full of grilled peppers and goat cheese...all fresher and tastier than anything I've ever found in a freezer case.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    For vegetarians:

There's two of you who commented & seem hurt because you said this topic was just for people to talk **** about vegetarians.

Sorry. Not my intention. My intention was to help. Yes, that didn't work. But I apologize your feelings got hurt. Just remember, we all make our own decisions & I'm happy you're happy with yours. :)

No worries! I would imagine a lot of vegetarians are probably pretty used to it by now. It has always baffled me that a decision I made out of compassion and love could elicit the antagonistic responses it does. The way I respond speaks about my character, the way others do speaks about theirs. :smile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I'm vegan and find this thread to be obnoxious.

What did you expect, OP? People to look up and say "yeah, you know that sounds like a great idea". All this does is gives people a venue to sing praises for meat.

Lol ... Drama, drama, drama.

It is obnoxious... Your comment is obnoxious too.
    So it's hypocritical of you to say the post is when you are.

Lol it's the INTERNET as I just typed. Relax, geesh. You don't like this topic? Click the X. That's the simple thing about the internet. You can SIMPLY x out your problem. Save the drama for real life, lol. But as most people do, it's easier to fight a battle over the internet, right? Hiding behind a screen?

When you open up a forum on the internet, you're inviting people's opinions - whether they agree with you or not. If you aren't prepared to handle that, write it in a diary. As they say, if you can't handle the heat, get outta the kitchen. I found your post on a public forum to be counterproductive, and I don't think it's that much of an issue to tell you that.

I would love for people to turn to veggie burgers instead of meat burgers and make more compassionate choices. But things like this are completely counterproductive, and actually winds up encouraging people to do what you'd rather they didn't. And I find that upsetting.

I agree. I don't like to be converted.. this thread sounds like some kind of promo for Morning Star

It does sound like a promo, lol..

Wasn't trying to convert you..

:laugh: Don't worry, it will never work. I tried this Vegan Proteins product made by the same brand that makes the whey protein I use and I nearly died. Awful, awful, awful. I am glad you found something you enjoyed.. I would have addressed this to people who are vegan, non-meat eaters you know
  • If I'm going to eat a veggie burger, or any other substitution, I'm going to do it because that's what I want to eat at the time, not because I want a healthier version. Also, I'll just make my own rather than buy an expensive, processed product. It's a simple thing to eat vegetarian a few nights a week. Spiced lentils, veggie pasta, black bean chili, tacos full of grilled peppers and goat cheese...all fresher and tastier than anything I've ever found in a freezer case.

Sounds good minus goat cheese lol. I would want regular.
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    I can't eat most meat substitute products because I'm gluten free and have an MSG sensitivity.

AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT has a high level of MSG, its what makes the brain think that this product has a "meaty" taste.

So - that's a no go for me. Also the soy sauce contains wheat. A lot of other brands use barley malt, which is also a no-go for the gluten free. The main ingredient in Gardein is wheat gluten. So - the main brands available in most grocery stores - Gardein, Morningstar, and Boca are not gluten safe.

That said, there are gluten free vegetarian burger options that are gluten free and soy free. SOL Cuisine makes a really tasty one made out of mushrooms and rice. However, to get products requires a specialty trip to Whole Foods or another "natural food store" where they are often expensive compared to the nutrition and satisfaction gained from them. So - for meat once or twice a week, is a more feasible and budget friendly option than paying to kind-of enjoy a $5.99 box of gluten-free veggie burgers.

That said, last time I was at Whole Foods, I had a portabello mushroom burger with cheese and pineapple on it, and it was the delish.
  • I'm vegan and find this thread to be obnoxious.

What did you expect, OP? People to look up and say "yeah, you know that sounds like a great idea". All this does is gives people a venue to sing praises for meat.

Lol it's the INTERNET as I just typed. Relax, geesh. You don't like this topic? Click the X. That's the simple thing about the internet. You can SIMPLY x out your problem. Save the drama for real life, lol. But as most people do, it's easier to fight a battle over the internet, right? Hiding behind a screen?

When you open up a forum on the internet, you're inviting people's opinions - whether they agree with you or not. If you aren't prepared to handle that, write it in a diary. As they say, if you can't handle the heat, get outta the kitchen. I found your post on a public forum to be counterproductive, and I don't think it's that much of an issue to tell you that.

I would love for people to turn to veggie burgers instead of meat burgers and make more compassionate choices. But things like this are completely counterproductive, and actually winds up encouraging people to do what you'd rather they didn't. And I find that upsetting.

I agree. I don't like to be converted.. this thread sounds like some kind of promo for Morning Star

It does sound like a promo, lol..

Wasn't trying to convert you..

:laugh: Don't worry, it will never work. I tried this Vegan Proteins product made by the same brand that makes the whey protein I use and I nearly died. Awful, awful, awful. I am glad you found something you enjoyed.. I would have addressed this to people who are vegan, non-meat eaters you know

Lol maybe so :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I think you were probably just trying to help
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    For vegetarians:

There's two of you who commented & seem hurt because you said this topic was just for people to talk **** about vegetarians.

Sorry. Not my intention. My intention was to help. Yes, that didn't work. But I apologize your feelings got hurt. Just remember, we all make our own decisions & I'm happy you're happy with yours. :)

For meat eaters:

I didn't mean never eat meat. Thought it was a healthier option & to substitute sometimes. Try some homemade ones. But my dad is like some of you. He says "THAT'S NOT A BURGER. I don't mind eating it but I want meat." Well eat you some damn meat, lol. I wasn't trying to say "NEVER EAT MEAT! "

i don't eat meat and I didn't get butthurt. ;)
  • I can't eat most meat substitute products because I'm gluten free and have an MSG sensitivity.

AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT has a high level of MSG, its what makes the brain think that this product has a "meaty" taste.

So - that's a no go for me. Also the soy sauce contains wheat. A lot of other brands use barley malt, which is also a no-go for the gluten free. The main ingredient in Gardein is wheat gluten. So - the main brands available in most grocery stores - Gardein, Morningstar, and Boca are not gluten safe.

That said, there are gluten free vegetarian burger options that are gluten free and soy free. SOL Cuisine makes a really tasty one made out of mushrooms and rice. However, to get products requires a specialty trip to Whole Foods or another "natural food store" where they are often expensive compared to the nutrition and satisfaction gained from them. So - for meat once or twice a week, is a more feasible and budget friendly option than paying to kind-of enjoy a $5.99 box of gluten-free veggie burgers.

That said, last time I was at Whole Foods, I had a portabello mushroom burger with cheese and pineapple on it, and it was the delish.

I'll take one without pineapple please :)
  • For vegetarians:

For meat eaters:

I didn't mean never eat meat. Thought it was a healthier option & to substitute sometimes. Try some homemade ones. But my dad is like some of you. He says "THAT'S NOT A BURGER. I don't mind eating it but I want meat." Well eat you some damn meat, lol. I wasn't trying to say "NEVER EAT MEAT! "

i don't eat meat and I didn't get butthurt. ;)

Booyah ;)
  • I think you were probably just trying to help

I was but everytime I try this happens... I won't try anymore..
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

Ingredients:

Lol trust me, click the x button, xD. You don't want to read this thread. But you should try homemade ones :) Everyone is posting those are yummy & healthier.

I make all my own burgers etc...out of real food :) I certainly wouldn't have come on here promoting these Morningstar burgers as healthy.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Because meat is tasty, and I'm trying to increase my fat intake, not decrease.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    1. Because I don't want to.
    2. Because real meat is cheaper, healthier and, oh yeah, delicious.
  • For vegetarians:

No worries! I would imagine a lot of vegetarians are probably pretty used to it by now. It has always baffled me that a decision I made out of compassion and love could elicit the antagonistic responses it does. The way I respond speaks about my character, the way others do speaks about theirs. :smile:

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    I'm vegan and find this thread to be obnoxious.

If you don't like the comments on this thread ignore them instread of posting rude responses. Take your own advice.. ignore a response you don't like. It seems as though you seem to be greating more drama than anyone else posting on this thread.

Why ignore them if they are here? Posted towards me? Lol. She asked me a question, I answered it. I'm saying if you click on MY topic & don't like it? Go away then. Drop your opinion all you want but there's no reason to be rude. Now if I was rude to someone, they have 100% right to be rude to me but I wasn't. I was trying to help. But then she's rude? So I'll be rude too. :)

You were being rude. You called one person obnoxiuos and a few an *kitten*. How is that not being rude? Sure, this is your thread but it's posted in a public forum so whoever wants to comment can, regardless of whether you will like it or not. If people are being rude (which I haven't seen as of yet) let them... no need to react the same. People were commenting on the thread and the topic, not directly being rude to you.