Size 0

Options

Replies

• jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been a size 0 before.

I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I am really short. (*laughs*)
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I used to be a U.S. 12/14. When I first lost weight, I got down to a 6 and thought that was the lowest I'd ever be. Then I discovered weight lifting. I lift heavy, and I go running. I eat 1600-2000 calories a day. I am not anorexic, but all of my clothes are a 0/2. I never thought I'd fit into clothes that small, but when I changed my workouts, my body changed dramatically. I eat well, I lost fat, I gained muscle. I worked hard. I was surprised to see what my body could be when I lost a significant amount of body fat, and what I was capable of doing when I started working out hard. Of course, not everyone's body will look healthy at a size 0, but many of the comments on this thread are very offensive.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you're really short then it's totally possible. I was always overweight and this is the smallest I've ever been. I'm not skinny but I fit into a size 00-3 depending on the brand. I think a lot of it has to do with vanity sizing too. I wish women's clothing was labeled with inches instead.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I used to be a U.S. 12/14. When I first lost weight, I got down to a 6 and thought that was the lowest I'd ever be. Then I discovered weight lifting. I lift heavy, and I go running. I eat 1600-2000 calories a day. I am not anorexic, but all of my clothes are a 0/2. I never thought I'd fit into clothes that small, but when I changed my workouts, my body changed dramatically. I eat well, I lost fat, I gained muscle. I worked hard. I was surprised to see what my body could be when I lost a significant amount of body fat, and what I was capable of doing when I started working out hard. Of course, not everyone's body will look healthy at a size 0, but many of the comments on this thread are very offensive.

Agreed on all accounts.

If your bone structure doesn't allow you to be a size 0 at the peak of your health, so what? A person at a size 8 can look equally as fabulous as somebody who is a size 0 and have the same body fat/muscle mass percentage. Just please don't throw the anorexic card at those of us are small. It is indeed offensive.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My best friend in college was a 00 (Who freaking knew that existed?) She was just small, she had a small frame and didn't east excessively. She was however naturally small, she'd always been thin. She did get up to a 0 freshman year and her mom commented that she was going to get fat if she wasn't careful and I wanted to beat her, but I didn't.

ANYWAY it's genetics. Her mom and sister were also thin, always had been.

Also hips, my friend is not hip-y, I think that makes a difference. Hips are problematic.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anyone can be healthy and look great. The size is totally arbitrary.

My sister and mother-in-law are extremely small boned but have wide hips. My mother-in-law is 5'10" and weighs 135lbs. She is still in a size 10.

I am larger framed but do not have particularly wide hips. I am 5'5" and weigh 170lbs. I easily wear my mother-in-laws size 10s.

My mother-in-law looks extremely healthy and fit. I will the look the same when lose about 20lbs and am in a size 6.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I eat over 2000 calories a day. I do no cardio for the sake of exercise. I lift weights, I am a dancer, I walk a lot to get around, and I am generally active for fun. In some clothes I can wear a 0 and in other clothes I need a 00. In some stores the 00 is too big for me (that's because of vanity sizing). It is because of vanity sizing that they needed to make a size 0 and then a 00, otherwise smaller people would be bumped completely out of the sizing. So it does not benefit heavier people to complain that size 0 and size 00 should not exist. There are still a lot of stores that only sell a size 2 as the smallest size (even stores that are petite stores), and it's too big for me. Except in yoga pants I can wear a size 2. I have a small frame, and I still have a booty that is 11 inches bigger than my waist, but my waist is 23 inches (I don't have wide hips, I do have a round and perky booty). It's just the way I am built. Before I had my babies I had a 22 inch waist. I have found that petite sizes will always be a bit smaller (and that is a good thing for me), so a 00 petite is smaller than a regular 00. Sometimes I just need to get the waist taken in, if I can find a good fit for my butt and thighs. Or with dresses I sometimes add a belt to cinch the waist in. It would not matter to me if they went ahead and made all the sizes smaller and then I would wear a size 2. I would be fine with that. But, I also don't mind size 0 and 00. As long as I have clothes that fit me well. Being small, I need tight clothing in order to show my figure. I do think vanity sizing should stop here, though. They can't make a size smaller than 00. J.Crew is terrible with vanity sizing. The size 00 they sell, is too big for me.

In shirts they are too loose in the waist and it is made worse by the fact that they make shirts way too long now. A friend told me that is to cover people's bellies, but on me there is just too much material and it's too long. The petite sizes are so much more expensive.

I also agree that size number is meaningless. Just be your fittest self, whatever size you are (and whatever that means for you).
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your body structure... I have a wider top than others, there's no way I'd fit in a size 0 even if I was super skinny.

And metabolism has a lot to do with it. I've met size 0 girls who ate twice what I did. Or they eat like birds and exercise a lot. Just an example, I don't know what size Jessica Alba is, but in an interview she said that she eats 1200 calories a day and exercises 2 hours a day to keep her shape.

I'm gonna be honest, that sounds miserable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Im not talking about people who are naturally a size 0 or naturally that way im taking about overweight people getting to a size 0 how do they really do that,?
    You mean overweight people who reach their goal weight and are a size 0? The same way overweight people get to a size 10 or 8 or 6 or 4 or 2.

You may be overweight but have a small frame, so at a healthy weight, you are a 0.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've had loads of size zero clothes- even double zero, in some cases. I'm sure I'll get there again in the not-too-distant future. It's more due to vanity sizing, because I certainly don't think of size zero me (5'6''. ~120 lbs) as exceptionally skinny.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    it depends on the brand but i'm between a size 2 and a size 0. I didn't try to get down to that size but at a healthy weight and a lean body fat % I can wear a size zero at least on the bottom - on the top my boobs won't let that happen!
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    This probably has nothing to do with this topic but the other day I was shopping for jeans and my husband was with me. I went to try a few on and had to send him back to get the next smaller size. Anyway he comes racing back and says you're not going to believe this, come look. I couldn't imagine. Walk over to the clothes rack and he points to the thingy that divides the sizes and says,"Who the h$ll wears a size zero! " You can tell he doesn't get out much but he was really upset with it. Kept muttering under his breath, "Them people need to eat a cookie or two." Anyway I thought it might give some of you a giggle.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    depends on the person. If you're short it doesn't require starving to fit into a 0.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    Size 0 LOL
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    well first off they have to be really short...
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    Size 0 LOL

The concept itself, not that people can't achieve that goal. Size invisible will be next and people will fit into those clothes while being visible.
  • kaltey
    kaltey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just bought some clothes and yes they are a size 0. As someone who has gone through eating disorders this post is pretty off putting because I am a healthy weight and am loosing weight the right way. So to assume that everyone who is a size 0 has an eating disorder is irritating to say the least.

I can also say that a lot of it IS vanity sizing which is good for bigger builds, not so much for smaller people. I can also say that even though it says 0 on the tag, I do not feel like a 0. I am within my BMI allbeit on the lighter side, but that's where I'm meant to be and what looks good on me. At my lightest I was 98 pounds and a size 0, this was about 8 years ago.

So in conclusion, watch what you say ladies and gents.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people and I think it mostly has to do with the vanity sizing. I'm 5'3" and when I started my journey, I was size 18 and 214 lbs. Now at 122 lbs., I'm a size 2 in most stores and even bought a pair of dress pants in size 0 this past weekend. I find it absolutely ridiculous that even some XS clothes hang off me. When I was the same weight in high school about 15 years ago, I wore a size 5.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 0. I'm pretty fit. Lifting weights keeps me thin and healthy and in shape. I also run.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft and have a small frame. I am a size 0. Before I became pregnant I was eating around 2000 calories per day with working out. I would hardly call that starving myself.