Options

Replies

• panzerkat
    Options
    Yay! I'm happy to find other atheists here :D
  • snrose
    snrose Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Happy for other atheists and agnostics to friend me! Gotta admit im turned off accepting a friend request when Jesus is mentioned on their profile as an inspiration.

^^ this :)
  • cventic
    cventic Posts: 7
    Options
    Atheist right here :)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! finally a place where we can not talk about GOD!!!

:)
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Gotta admit im turned off accepting a friend request when Jesus is mentioned on their profile as an inspiration.

I know what you mean. He was totally just losing water weight when he fasted in the desert 40 days. If he hadn't gotten crucified, he would have gained it all right back, because he'd gotten his body into "starvation mode". That is the worst mfp inspiration of all time! ;)

What are you talking about? Jesus had an awesome thigh gap.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Atheism isn't a "religion." It's a point of view, a philosophy, an approach based on available facts, with an insistence on that which can be proved.

Would the forum lock a thread asking, "Do you believe in global warming?" That could be just as "divisive."

I disagree. Atheism...(or probably more accurately, antitheism)...behaves exactly like a religion, at least in a setting such as this. As such, I suspect it makes sense for MFP to treat it as such.

If

ETA: I apparently had a surplus supply of the word "such" and decided to use as many as I could in this post...

...and such. Such such such. Such.

There, I'm done.

Such.

Religions generally are centered on or derive their authority from a superior entity who often is not knowable by human beings. Religions bind their members with codes and rituals and adherence to teachings by men (usually not women) that are falsely attributed to said ultimate being. Atheists, agnostics, and secular humanists do none of those things. They do ask people to think for themselves.
  • EthanLafferty
    Options
    It'd be nice to have some like-minded friends. Open to any and all friend requests here.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If God exists, then atheists will have quite a shock one day.
    If he doesn't, they've got nothing to lose.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Atheism isn't a "religion." It's a point of view, a philosophy, an approach based on available facts, with an insistence on that which can be proved.

Would the forum lock a thread asking, "Do you believe in global warming?" That could be just as "divisive."

I disagree. Atheism...(or probably more accurately, antitheism)...behaves exactly like a religion, at least in a setting such as this. As such, I suspect it makes sense for MFP to treat it as such.

If

ETA: I apparently had a surplus supply of the word "such" and decided to use as many as I could in this post...

There, I'm done.

Such.

Religions generally are centered on or derive their authority from a superior entity who often is not knowable by human beings. Religions bind their members with codes and rituals and adherence to teachings by men (usually not women) that are falsely attributed to said ultimate being. Atheists, agnostics, and secular humanists do none of those things. They do ask people to think for themselves.

Atheists, et al., don't necessarily deny spirituality or faith. But you cannot impose YOUR faith on me just because you happen to have a certain belief.
  • annbillingsley
    annbillingsley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Atheist here too!! YAY!:drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If

There, I'm done.

Such.

I completely disagree with most of your assertions and assumptions, but will most certainly not be continuing the debate.

- I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou: - ©2013
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are more of us than I thought. Nice to know!
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    If God exists, then atheists will have quite a shock one day.
    If he doesn't, they've got nothing to lose.

If it's a just god, he, she or it won't be hung up on labels if the individual tried to be a good person. How many really awful devout followers of religion has the world seen?
  • mfpcopine
    Options

If

There, I'm done.

Such.

I completely disagree with most of your assertions and assumptions, but will most certainly not be continuing the debate.

- I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou: - ©2013

Thank you. Good luck to you too.
  • Maureen689
    Options
    Me!!! More humanist than anything :)
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    sad:sad:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm Atheist now, though I didn't used to be, and sometimes I wish I wasn't. But after the things I've seen, both in my life and the lives of loved ones, I can't believe in any higher power right now.

I miss the feeling of comfort it gave me, though, to have faith. I am almost jealous of those who are still able to follow blindly in their religion, without being deterred by the hypocrisy of most churches. It's a great social group, and when I lost my mother, even though that was part of the reason I lost my faith in the first place, I wouldn't have survived the aftermath of her death without my youth pastor and others from my church. I may disagree with the Church as an institution, but I cannot say that an individual is wrong, delusional, or naive to have faith. I just probably won't ever have it myself again.

Faith is a choice. We all have our doubts and moments of lack of faith, but when you look at the overall picture of things, you live better if you love God. And once you decide that that is exactly what you are going to do, everything falls into place.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Not an atheist but someone who does not want anything to do with organized religion either. Feel free to add me.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised there aren't more people jumping in saying they are agnostic.
  • penni214
    penni214 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    AMEN MsCarla!!!!!!!! I am a Christian, but not a bible thumper, I don't force my beliefs on anyone, but I will share! I'm here to lose weight thru motivation and support, not convert anyone!! (I will pray for the unbelievers however, in the privacy of my home)
This discussion has been closed.