Atheists

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This is divisive.

Organized religion is divisive, not to mention manipulative and power-seeking.

Also, against the rules of MFP.

It's sad when expressing an opinion of no named religion is offensive. People need to take their tampons out and relax. If you are not an atheist, move along.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

Get out of here with that bull... the OP is looking for friendship. You're just trying to stir the pot

How is it bull? It's the site rules. I'm not making it up. Someone asked why it was against the rules and I posted.

For the record, I am not religious at all. I actually dislike religion but that's neither here nor there.

I'm not talking about the rules.. I'm talking about the way you are going about it. There are several people in this thread who think it's a good joke to tell everyone they need Jesus. I mean, did anyone here say tell everyone they need to be godless? No, someone was looking for likeminded friends which she probably would not find in a group or know about any active groups without posting a thread here about it.

Your post about rules is no where to be found except to back up that the thread is against the rules which I believe is just being done to stir the pot. Not cool.

The way I'm going about it? I copy and pasted rules in reply to a question. You're just looking for ways to be offended, which is a bit ironic, don't you think?

But yet again, I will state that I posted the rules in response to a question about said rules. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, Adini only answered a question and got jumped for it. that's pretty sad and why we REALLY need to have MFP fix the website so that quoting includes the person's name. :grumble:
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    ^This is why I have never understood Unitarianism. Their dogma is essentially... that there is no dogma. It's kind of a melting pot for people who want to stay religious but are fed up with the institutions that they grew up with, and who want to be in a Church but won't profess to any steadfast beliefs. My stepmother (and now my father) are all into it, and I just... don't really get it... it seems like a community center more than a church. But to each their own.

I'm still mad that they stole Universalism. Because I would totally be that were it not for the Unitarian half. :(
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I love lamp.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    Atheist here. I am very good friends with heavily religious people. But I do stand my ground when it comes to comments that are anti-homosexual (don't like the term homophobic, as its not a phobia) or sexist.

^I'm gonna have to nitpick real quick here and say that there are people who are definitely phobic of homosexuals the way that some people are afraid of spiders, or drowning, or whatever else. Not all people who disagree with homosexuality are homophobic of course, but, the word was brought into existence for a reason. I'm not trying to argue or tell you that you're wrong in saying anti-homosexual instead, just defending the word choice :) carry on!

Totally understood! I agree with you. I just feel that homophobic is often misused. The majority of them that I come across don't seem to actually be homophobic, just brainwashed or full of bigotry. So it often gets mistaken that people who are just bigots, are called homophobics. Nothing wrong with the person using it, I just don't like the person that publicly hates homosexuals (and worse, trying to justify it) gets slack for it (i.e considering it a phobia)
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    Huh, there's a bunch of whining in this thread? Never could have possibly seen that coming.

Honestly, I'm pretty pleasantly surprised that the whining (at least on the first and last page of the thread) isn't from militant antitheists who are butthurt that people have religions. Not that I think that's remotely an accurate picture of the average atheist, or even a significant plurality, but it's a vocal minority that sometimes makes me long for the rationality and thoughtful repose of Fred Phelps. :P

Good job, MFP. Good job.
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Gotta admit im turned off accepting a friend request when Jesus is mentioned on their profile as an inspiration.

I know what you mean. He was totally just losing water weight when he fasted in the desert 40 days. If he hadn't gotten crucified, he would have gained it all right back, because he'd gotten his body into "starvation mode". That is the worst mfp inspiration of all time! ;)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Atheist here. I am very good friends with heavily religious people. But I do stand my ground when it comes to comments that are anti-homosexual (don't like the term homophobic, as its not a phobia) or sexist.

^I'm gonna have to nitpick real quick here and say that there are people who are definitely phobic of homosexuals the way that some people are afraid of spiders, or drowning, or whatever else. Not all people who disagree with homosexuality are homophobic of course, but, the word was brought into existence for a reason. I'm not trying to argue or tell you that you're wrong in saying anti-homosexual instead, just defending the word choice :) carry on!

Totally understood! I agree with you. I just feel that homophobic is often misused. The majority of them that I come across don't seem to actually be homophobic, just brainwashed or full of bigotry. So it often gets mistaken that people who are just bigots, are called homophobics. Nothing wrong with the person using it, I just don't like the person that publicly hates homosexuals (and worse, trying to justify it) gets slack for it (i.e considering it a phobia)

Yeah, like everything else there are varying degrees, and especially on the internet it's difficult to tell whether someone says anti-homosexual (I'm going to start using your phrase now hehe) comments simply to be inflammatory, or whether they truly believe in it, or whether they are actually intimidated by the ever-increasing tolerance towards homosexuals. The final category is what I tend to see on Faux News a lot, lol :P
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Huh, there's a bunch of whining in this thread? Never could have possibly seen that coming.

Honestly, I'm pretty pleasantly surprised that the whining (at least on the first and last page of the thread) isn't from militant antitheists who are butthurt that people have religions. Not that I think that's remotely an accurate picture of the average atheist, or even a significant plurality, but it's a vocal minority that sometimes makes me long for the rationality and thoughtful repose of Fred Phelps. :P

Good job, MFP. Good job.

I was reading your comment with a straight face until you brought up Fred Phelps! Now I'm giggling. Darn you. :P
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    I was reading your comment with a straight face until you brought up Fred Phelps! Now I'm giggling. Darn you. :P
    It's always better to giggle at Fred Phelps than any of the other very understandable reactions, like rage or hair-pulling or generally weeping in the corner. :P
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Me!!!
  • Ramberta
    Options
    It's always better to giggle at Fred Phelps than any of the other very understandable reactions, like rage or hair-pulling or generally weeping in the corner. :P

Well it was more your sarcastic comment about him rather than thinking of him as an actual person. I remember one time back in college, around 2008, I actually got into such a froth when my friends were discussing the lunacy of the Westboro Baptist Church that I made things incredibly awkward for everyone >.> But being mad at him isn't going to change his crazy brain, so it's just not worth it. Even when Anon 'leaked' the contact info, they got a lot of backlash because they leaked info that was of people unfortunate enough to have the same names as people in the church clan, even though they were in no way affiliated with it, and those people got nasty e-mails and phone calls too. Hate does not justify more hate!
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Right here :P
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

We'll let the mods decide that then and continue on without bringing up the possibility that the mods will find it "divisive", shall we?
    We all agree that the birthday thread thing was stupid. But let's not let a previous stupid decisions ruin this thread.

I can bring up whatever I like and post whatever I like. Someone asked how it violated the rules, a post that wasn't even originally made by me, and all I did was copy and paste to answer their questions.

I'm gunna go ahead and point out that it's quite hilarious that you say you can post or bring up "whatever you like" but the point of your original post was that someone else can't because it would be deemed "divisive" by the mods.

But you've made your point. You know rules. That's the only reason why you posted in this thread. To let people know the rules.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    :)
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This is divisive.

How is it divisive? Is it not ok to seek out people who are similar to you?

Nope, apparently not. For future reference, this apparently applies to birthday threads as well.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

Oh, good grief. The topic is FRIENDSHIP. She's not asking anyone to have a discussion regarding religion or non-religion!!!! She's seeking similar friends.

/facepalm

Exactly!!!
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    Well it was more your sarcastic comment about him rather than thinking of him as an actual person. I remember one time back in college, around 2008, I actually got into such a froth when my friends were discussing the lunacy of the Westboro Baptist Church that I made things incredibly awkward for everyone >.> But being mad at him isn't going to change his crazy brain, so it's just not worth it. Even when Anon 'leaked' the contact info, they got a lot of backlash because they leaked info that was of people unfortunate enough to have the same names as people in the church clan, even though they were in no way affiliated with it, and those people got nasty e-mails and phone calls too. Hate does not justify more hate!
    It might not justify it, but it sure does feel good sometimes. :P

I'm actually a pretty staunch theist, but I'm also cut from the sort of cloth that someone who agrees with me being stupid makes me MUCH angrier than someone who disagrees with me being stupid, so Phelps pretty much makes blood shoot out of my tear ducts. :D
  • Qlow
    Qlow Posts: 92
    Options
    I was A simple peaceful atheist until... Well, now I'm a militant atheist .
    What about pastafarianism people? All hail to the Flying Spaghetti Monster!
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage...

Visit http://www.venganza.org for a good laugh.

Ps: Dear mods...this is NOT propaganda. This is pure fun.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Well, I had to look up the difference between agnostic and atheist, gotta love google.

I just don't see the relevance of discussing religion with anyone on MFP. I was baptised a catholic at about 5 weeks of age, so it wasn't really my choice, and I wouldn't call myself one now. I also have Jewish family and one of by BFFs is a Muslim and we all get together at Christmas time for a party. I couldn't give a flying @&$) what religion people are, as long as they are good people.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

We'll let the mods decide that then and continue on without bringing up the possibility that the mods will find it "divisive", shall we?
    We all agree that the birthday thread thing was stupid. But let's not let a previous stupid decisions ruin this thread.

I can bring up whatever I like and post whatever I like. Someone asked how it violated the rules, a post that wasn't even originally made by me, and all I did was copy and paste to answer their questions.

I'm gunna go ahead and point out that it's quite hilarious that you say you can post or bring up "whatever you like" but the point of your original post was that someone else can't because it would be deemed "divisive" by the mods.

But you've made your point. You know rules. That's the only reason why you posted in this thread. To let people know the rules.

No, she posted the rules because someone asked a question about how it pertained to the rules. That's all she did and got jumped on for answering a question.
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I am, but I don't mind when people are religious.
This discussion has been closed.