Atheists

Options

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's not really a reason for people to announce atheism on an online weight loss forum, so it makes sense that it's the more underrepresented viewpoint in terms of general topics.

I mean, you don't generally have to do things in the name of atheism, and though I'm sure there are people that do credit their weight loss to a lack of a deity in their life (because outliers are always there), they're the exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, most atheists like to take credit for their own work, because well, there is no one else to whom they can give credit.

Atheism is also not organized into a culture, because all that it is is a statement of a lack of belief or participation in theism. Who gets together or advertises based on a lack of belief or participation? People don't get together and say "We're a culture of people who don't believe in unicorns. That is our common thread, belief and hobby: We don't participate in the belief or worship of unicorns".

Though that would be an interesting club in school, the "We Don't Worship Unicorns" club. You could get a letter simply for not believing in unicorns. Sweet.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This is divisive.

How is it divisive? Is it not ok to seek out people who are similar to you?

Nope, apparently not. For future reference, this apparently applies to birthday threads as well.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

Oh, good grief. The topic is FRIENDSHIP. She's not asking anyone to have a discussion regarding religion or non-religion!!!! She's seeking similar friends.

/facepalm

It is what it is. If it applies to a birthday thread (which isn't even used as an example in the guidelines like religion is) then it applies here. Apparently moderators get to decide at their discretion which threads looking for specific individuals are in violation of this rule.

I'm not disagreeing with you, merely providing you with the site "rules."

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to "yell" at you for pointing that out.
    I just think people are stretching a bit to be offended. Poor woman's just looking for friends.

Lol trust me, I get it.

Uwxesls.gif

If this thread is divisive then please make sure that all the threads where someone is wanting to friend other christian mommies are canned as well. Inconsistent moderation where it favours one religious group over others seem to me to be more divisive than a thread seeking out atheist friends.
    kind regards,

Ben

I agree with you.

Apparently answering someone's question has made it seem to others that I'm either A) offended by this topic or B) trying to play moderator.

You know what they say about assuming...
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Ya'll mutha fu*kas need jesus

LOL basically.
  • jetsetdork
    jetsetdork Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm an atheist, too. I'm glad to see this topic pop up!
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    Religious beliefs have nothing to do with supporting each other in losing weight. This whole thread is so upsetting to me that I'm going to go eat a whole cheese cake and blame it on all of you. :devil:
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying phuck what people's religious beliefs are, especially on a fitness site?

No, you are not the only one. "Your" religious beliefs, or my lack there of, have absolutely no place on a fitness site. But then again, I don't get the "date, marry, shag" threads either.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying phuck what people's religious beliefs are, especially on a fitness site?

No, you are not the only one. "Your" religious beliefs, or my lack there of, have absolutely no place on a fitness site. But then again, I don't get the "date, marry, shag" threads either.

Best.

Politically Incorrect.

EVER.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I'm not an atheist but I am married to one. :smile:
  • paxye
    paxye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Atheist (with a degree in Religion)... and new here also..

hehehe... first thread I read on the site :) love it!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

*Raises hand* Me. I don't care. There are awesome people with great info that come from all sorts of religions, cultural backgrounds, places, and so on. :)
  • Crystle85
    Crystle85 Posts: 48
    Options
    I am an atheist. I try to avoid talking about religion as a general rule though...it tends to be a touchy subject.
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What if God tells you to be an atheist?
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Atheist here. I am very good friends with heavily religious people. But I do stand my ground when it comes to comments that are anti-homosexual (don't like the term homophobic, as its not a phobia) or sexist.

^I'm gonna have to nitpick real quick here and say that there are people who are definitely phobic of homosexuals the way that some people are afraid of spiders, or drowning, or whatever else. Not all people who disagree with homosexuality are homophobic of course, but, the word was brought into existence for a reason. I'm not trying to argue or tell you that you're wrong in saying anti-homosexual instead, just defending the word choice :) carry on!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Religious beliefs have nothing to do with supporting each other in losing weight. This whole thread is so upsetting to me that I'm going to go eat a whole cheese cake and blame it on all of you. :devil:

Is it a transcendent cheesecake? If so you can probably log it at zero calories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's not really a reason for people to announce atheism on an online weight loss forum, so it makes sense that it's the more underrepresented viewpoint in terms of general topics.

I mean, you don't generally have to do things in the name of atheism, and though I'm sure there are people that do credit their weight loss to a lack of a deity in their life (because outliers are always there), they're the exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, most atheists like to take credit for their own work, because well, there is no one else to whom they can give credit.

Atheism is also not organized into a culture, because all that it is is a statement of a lack of belief or participation in theism. Who gets together or advertises based on a lack of belief or participation? People don't get together and say "We're a culture of people who don't believe in unicorns. That is our common thread, belief and hobby: We don't participate in the belief or worship of unicorns".

Though that would be an interesting club in school, the "We Don't Worship Unicorns" club. You could get a letter simply for not believing in unicorns. Sweet.

Very true and loved the unicorn analogy :flowerforyou:
  • Lugemachine
    Options
    Atheist, yes... antitheist, no. I believe in no deity of any kind, but I don't berate those who do.

Secular humanist probably says it best.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    science-pic.jpg
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian and I will state the same thing as I did on that thread, `if the shoe was on the other foot` then you may find it offensive?

Confused by your comment. I see nothing offensive about Christians (or others of varying faiths) seeking like-minded friends. There's also nothing wrong with atheists or agnostics seeking like-minded friends.

What's there to be offended about with the original post? There are "introduce yourself"posts for 40 year olds seeking other 40 year olds, moms seeking friendship with other moms, etc etc etc etc....

This topic doesn't apply to me personally as I'm not an atheist, although I may have some agnostic leanings...but if you don't want to be-friend atheists or agnostics...then don't. :flowerforyou:

Why do people make things so complicated?

There was a post by a Christian mum wanting to make friends with other Christians, and that is what my original reply was too, which I seconded on this post.

Everyone is entitled to their religion/non religion but it can offend others?

I hope this makes this a little less complicated for you?

How would it offend others? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but why would something someone else (who you've never met before), offend anyone else? I don't understand that. I'm not offended by Christians, Catholics, Buddhists, etc, etc.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Start a 'looking for Christian' friends thread and you'll flush out all the atheists. :)

Amen :flowerforyou:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

^This is why I have never understood Unitarianism. Their dogma is essentially... that there is no dogma. It's kind of a melting pot for people who want to stay religious but are fed up with the institutions that they grew up with, and who want to be in a Church but won't profess to any steadfast beliefs. My stepmother (and now my father) are all into it, and I just... don't really get it... it seems like a community center more than a church. But to each their own.
This discussion has been closed.