Atheists

Options

Replies

• cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a Christian, but feel free to friend request me if you'd like. I'm not trying to insult this forum; it's just nice to have fitness friends.

Nothing insulting about an offer of friendship!

:smile:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If this was an "I am looking for Christians friends" thread it would be locked already due to all the atheists complaining. Don't worry I won't turn you in, You have a right to have like minded friends.

I wouldn't report a thread looking for Christian friends. We ALL have a right to have like minded friends.

I've never objected to groups appealing to special interests. People seek motivation from different sources.
  • edhurlburt
    edhurlburt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I identify as Secular Humanist - but that is just an atheist by another name. Feel free to friend me. As long as you don't have all the "Thank God" and "God inspired me" blah blah in your profile, I'd be happy to have you as a friend.

Ed
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This is divisive.

How is it divisive? Is it not ok to seek out people who are similar to you?

Nope, apparently not. For future reference, this apparently applies to birthday threads as well.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

Oh, good grief. The topic is FRIENDSHIP. She's not asking anyone to have a discussion regarding religion or non-religion!!!! She's seeking similar friends.

/facepalm

It is what it is. If it applies to a birthday thread (which isn't even used as an example in the guidelines like religion is) then it applies here. Apparently moderators get to decide at their discretion which threads looking for specific individuals are in violation of this rule.

I'm not disagreeing with you, merely providing you with the site "rules."
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a Christian, but feel free to friend request me if you'd like. I'm not trying to insult this forum; it's just nice to have fitness friends.

Nothing insulting about an offer of friendship!

:smile:

See.. look how pleasant that exchange was..
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Ya'll mutha fu*kas need jesus

:heart:

I :heart: this comment the most!

Thank you! I said it with sass and snapped my fingers and weaved my head around as I said it too.
  • pastryari
    Options
    This is divisive.

Organized religion is divisive, not to mention manipulative and power-seeking.

Also, against the rules of MFP.

It's sad when expressing an opinion of no named religion is offensive. People need to take their tampons out and relax. If you are not an atheist, move along.

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

Get out of here with that bull... the OP is looking for friendship. You're just trying to stir the pot

How is it bull? It's the site rules. I'm not making it up. Someone asked why it was against the rules and I posted.

For the record, I am not religious at all. I actually dislike religion but that's neither here nor there.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Ya'll mutha fu*kas need jesus

:heart:

I :heart: this comment the most!

Thank you! I said it with sass and snapped my fingers and weaved my head around as I said it too.

Ahahaha. Thank you for giving me my daily chuckle, good sir.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    This is divisive.

Nope, apparently not. For future reference, this apparently applies to birthday threads as well.

Oh, good grief. The topic is FRIENDSHIP. She's not asking anyone to have a discussion regarding religion or non-religion!!!! She's seeking similar friends.

/facepalm

It is what it is. If it applies to a birthday thread (which isn't even used as an example in the guidelines like religion is) then it applies here. Apparently moderators get to decide at their discretion which threads looking for specific individuals are in violation of this rule.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to "yell" at you for pointing that out.
    I just think people are stretching a bit to be offended. Poor woman's just looking for friends.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I identify as Secular Humanist - but that is just an atheist by another name. Feel free to friend me. As long as you don't have all the "Thank God" and "God inspired me" blah blah in your profile, I'd be happy to have you as a friend.

Ed

Or, "God wants me to be this weight." If that's true, your god has too much time on his or her hands.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Prepare to get friend requested by Christians. :/

I think that Atheists think themselves to be more offensive to Christians than they really are- but then again I've never been on that side of things. I am a Christian... and I do not expect anything "christian" out of them.

Many people that claim to be Christians live as though there is no God- which makes them agnostic. What's the difference?

I have no problem being friends with Christians (or Muslims or Jews or Buddhists or Yogis or whatever) as long as they don't try to convert me. Friend away!

An honest question: Would you (or anyone here) consider it "trying to convert you" by posting anything religious as a status'? I struggle to find a balance... because on one hand.. I don't want to be accused of being a hypocrite by being one person on MFP and another person in life (where I truely try to reflect Christ in ALL things) but at the same time, I don't want to be accused of trying to convert someone if I "praise Jesus" in a post.
    Honest question.... I could really talk about this kind of stuff all day without being "divisive."

Oh no, praising god is not trying to convert someone! But I have to say that in my experience, a lot of atheists get frustrated seeing lots of references to jesus and god, in large part because anything we would have to say in response to "praise jesus" is not likely to be well-received by the religious person. It effectively ends the conversation. Sort of like if you had a bunch of Muslim friends who posted a lot of things about the Qu'ran and Allah, you might not find that you have much to say in response. So while I have a lot of religious friends, I often end up hiding them (on facebook) or unfriending them (if it's just an online acquaintance) because I don't have much to contribute to their conversations.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

How is it bull? It's the site rules. I'm not making it up. Someone asked why it was against the rules and I posted.

For the record, I am not religious at all. I actually dislike religion but that's neither here nor there.

I love that you and I had the same thought. :) We're like twins!!!! Awesome sauce twins!!!
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Fellow Atheist, I have no problem with religious people and have respect for their beliefs. I come from a Catholic background. My parents aren't religious but believe in God, they chose not to have me baptised as a child as they wanted me to make my own decision.

I am happy to have friends religious or not as we are all here for the same reason, to be healthier and happier :)
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you're not a mod, don't try to be all "these are the rules." If it really offends you (not if you are just trying to be a pill), report it and let a mod decide whether to warn or move. If you're desperate to tell everyone what to do, you can always raise your hand to the site admin and ask to be a mod, but I'm guessing that's not really the type of person they're looking for to moderate.
  • pastryari
    Options
    This is divisive.

/facepalm

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to "yell" at you for pointing that out.
    I just think people are stretching a bit to be offended. Poor woman's just looking for friends.

Lol trust me, I get it.

Uwxesls.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This is divisive.

/facepalm

Totally agree with you. The problem is, MFP staff/mods disagree with this position and have made it remarkably clear in the lock posts of similar threads. It isn't just the divisiveness in the post, but the very nature of the post itself that they take issue with. Granted, the "Christian" threads seem to disappear much quicker, probably because there are people active on the site who are quick to report them, whereas the "atheist" or even "religions-other-than-Christianity" threads seem to last longer, presumably because, for whatever reason, people are less likely to report them.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    This is divisive.

Organized religion is divisive, not to mention manipulative and power-seeking.

Also, against the rules of MFP.

It's sad when expressing an opinion of no named religion is offensive. People need to take their tampons out and relax. If you are not an atheist, move along.

Get out of here with that bull... the OP is looking for friendship. You're just trying to stir the pot

I'm not talking about the rules.. I'm talking about the way you are going about it. There are several people in this thread who think it's a good joke to tell everyone they need Jesus. I mean, did anyone here say tell everyone they need to be godless? No, someone was looking for likeminded friends which she probably would not find in a group or know about any active groups without posting a thread here about it.

Your post about rules is no where to be found except to back up that the thread is against the rules which I believe is just being done to stir the pot. Not cool.
  • pastryari
    Options
    If you're not a mod, don't try to be all "these are the rules." If it really offends you (not if you are just trying to be a pill), report it and let a mod decide whether to warn or move. If you're desperate to tell everyone what to do, you can always raise your hand to the site admin and ask to be a mod, but I'm guessing that's not really the type of person they're looking for to moderate.

Assuming this is directed at me? Someone asked a question so I answered the question. If you look back, someone ASKED how it was against the rules. I obliged by copy and pasting.

I don't report posts/threads unless it's extreme, ex: I reported a revenge post that posted someone's phone number once.

You're reaching for straws here.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Present
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

We'll let the mods decide that then and continue on without bringing up the possibility that the mods will find it "divisive", shall we?
    We all agree that the birthday thread thing was stupid. But don't let previous stupid decisions ruin this thread.
This discussion has been closed.