dont eat meat ever again!

Options

Replies

• ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with anyone saying they have chosen a Vegetarian or Vegan lifestyle. I don't try to bring them back to the light. The same I don't want anyone to try and convince me to go Vegetarian. To each his own I say. It's up to each of us to choose a lifetyle that is healthy.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't care either way...

A lot of veggies however seem to tell everyone like its a badge of honour?

I don't think I've ever declared to people before what I eat when I first meet them, veggies seem however to have to tell people even if food isn't involved!

:laugh:

I agree with Matt, each to their own but I object when people say meat is unhealthy when it isn't. By all means make your own choices but that doesn't make your diet superior to mine.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't understand why vegetarians have to declare they are vegetarians.

If someone offers you something, can't you just say "no." If you are out to dinner, can't you just say "I don't like meat". Why do you have to put a label on yourself and make it a big deal?

Just simply say "no." It's a lot easier. When I don't want chocolate at work, I say "no.", I don't say "I'm on a diet", "I'm counting my calories", "I'm overweight" etc.

The problem is in my experience if I just turn down a dish they get offended like its their cooking or they will offer something else with meat or freak out if I don't have meat on my plate. So its just easier to say I AK vegetarian because it implies I have a reason. For not eating meat besides not liking it.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a while, I did get a lot of criticism for it from some friends and family. Usually because I would always have to eat something different to everyone else.

I never pushed it on anyone but I did offer to cook meals for people and they often turned their noses up at it for being meatless until they tried it!

It definitely helped me be more adventurous with food and cooking and still eat very little meat in my diet. People wonder why I do that saying "you should either be vegetarian or not" but I'm happy with my diet and don't make anyone think they should eat the aame way that I do.
  • faireplay
    faireplay Posts: 126
    Options
    Because people have a tendency to think their way is the only way. It's foodism :-)
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    I usually feel bad for the vegetarians. In general though they have much better health than 95% of normal people. I attribute this more to getting away from the S.A.D. diet which is really that terrible. If you eat fresh and healthy foods all the time and stay away from all the processed crap you will be just as healthy if not more healthy than vegetarians. Its simply too difficult to fill all nutritional needs of a purely plant based diet. Humans evolved to eat meat, its unnatural to completely avoid consuming it.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't understand why vegetarians have to declare they are vegetarians.

If someone offers you something, can't you just say "no." If you are out to dinner, can't you just say "I don't like meat". Why do you have to put a label on yourself and make it a big deal?

Just simply say "no." It's a lot easier. When I don't want chocolate at work, I say "no.", I don't say "I'm on a diet", "I'm counting my calories", "I'm overweight" etc.

i disagree. Why wouldn't they say they are vegetarians. It's what they are and it's not 'making a big deal' by saying they are. If someone says just "no" ppl are going to continue with offering meat to that person. Makes no sene
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My reaction whenever someone tells me that they are a vegetarian or practice any other nutritional protocol isn't something that I typically verbalize, unless it's someone very close to me. In my head, however, I'm thinking: "I hope (s)he is smart enough to know how to properly construct this protocol."
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with vegetarians. I have a problem with anyone who gets evangelical about their food choices, whether they be vegetarian, Paleo, clean eaters, whatever.

^ This.. My experience with vegetarian/vegans (mostly online) has been them telling everyone who isn't them how bad it is to eat meat to the point of even being an evil supporter of the meat industry..
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    So far this has been a very interesting post, and a very good post. All of the comments are well worth reading and very informative.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My sister has been a vegetarian for 12 years now and I respect and understand. Just as she understands that I eat meat. I can't stand when people give her crap about it (her in-laws are total a-holes about it). It's a way of life and I think people are too quick to judge. I have met a couple vegetarians though that constantly talk about it and like to describe animal cruelty while Im trying to enjoy my steak!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I actually respect people that eat vegetarian and are healthy. I tried it once, but it wasn't for me.

It's when they post comments trying to suggest it's healthier or better that will put carnivores on the defense. Vice versa.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    So far this has been a very interesting post, and a very good post. All of the comments are well worth reading and very informative.

I agree, few are out of line except like one I saw. :)
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I promise not to rub meat in your face... If and only when you get off your damn high horse about being a vegetarian.
  • Ranozoa
    Ranozoa Posts: 2
    Options
    I was a vegetarian once, that lifestyle ended in the summer of 06.

I had a friend, let's call him Tom for the sake of the story. "Tom" was a very opinionated person and greatly disproved of my vegetarian lifestyle using such tired phrases like "What's wrong, afraid you're eating Bambi?" (which makes no sense, Bambi was a f***ing cartoon), or "What about fish?" (another stupid question). During the summer of 06 "Tom" and I got into a bit of a spat and I made the decision it was time for us to part ways, so I opted to cut him down where he stood and eat him over the course of the next few days just to spite him all the while chanting to his disembodied head that he tastes exactly how Bambi would taste if he wasn't a cartoon.

But in all seriousness, when people tell me they're a vegetarian I typically just laugh it off to myself. I've never met anyone who proclaims they're a vegetarian out loud stick with it, because the ones who stick with it don't think it's a big deal.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oopsie, double post - sorry
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    I have only recently decided to become a vegetarian and have been lucky thus far with no negative comments.. I get questions about what I do eat and then more questions about what I do for protein, but they are questions not negativity with me... If I have someone ask if it is hard then I simply tell them that for some it could be, but that for me it isn't because I never was a big meat eater anyway... They respect my decision to not eat meat and I respect theirs to do so....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

But in all seriousness, when people tell me they're a vegetarian I typically just laugh it off to myself. I've never met anyone who proclaims they're a vegetarian out loud stick with it, because the ones who stick with it don't think it's a big deal.

The only time I mention it is when someone offers me meat. Rather than have them think I just don't want to share their food, I give them a reason.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    None of my friends are veggies and I cant say that its ever come up in conversation. I eat chicken and pork but dont like beef so I go for the veggie substitutes for mince, burgers and sausages (mainly because of the vom-tastic gristly bits in them)
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am a meat eater.

I have an enormous amount of respect for the vegetarians that eat that way for ethical reasons.

I'm kind of torn over this.

I went veggie in 2011 and made it through for 6 months.
    It was hell, I felt weak and hungry a lot of the time and my diet consisted of mainly cheese sandwiches.
    This was my own fault though - I didn't educate myself properly on what to eat to replace the protein missing from my diet and I could have tried a lot harder. I want back to eating meat in the end as I found being a veggie too hard.

I am still eating meat but I carry a guilt over it.

I do think it's OK for humans to eat animals but my problem lies with how animals are treated by humans.
    Like, chickens being kept in tiny cages and horrific conditions, things like that. I know you can buy free range etc but the reality is most people can't afford to do that so they buy the cheapest meats they can in order to feed their family.
    No one ever stops to think - why is this meat so cheap? Oh yeah, it's because the animal was fed cr*p and not kept in very nice conditions, it cost hardly anything to raise this animal before it was slaughtered so therefore the meat people can still make a profit when when selling a whole chicken for 4 pound sterling in Asda.

If we hunted animals like animals hunted each other and only ate to survive, I would be fine with it.
    But it breaks my heart when I see meat on the reduced to clear shelf in supermarkets, knowing an animal lost its life for no reason, it will just get thrown away.

I hope to go veggie again in thenear future but I will do it in a much more sensible way this time, so it can be sustainable for me. I need to experiment with some new foods, ie tofu and lentils, pulses etc so I am getting nutrients I need.
    The ultimate goal would be to go Vegan, but one step at a time :smile:

Edited for spelling and nonsense purposes, I have a tendency to miss out whole words when I'm on a roll! I'm sure I still missed a few corrections, sorry to all the grammar nazis (I am usually one of them :laugh: )