dont eat meat ever again!

Options

Replies

• annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ever since I learned that carrots scream when picked, I cannot eat a carrot until someone invents a humane way of killing them. I am a meatarian because I don't want to see the poor little vegetables cruelly treated.

Oh do go away.
    To be ignorant to animal cruelty is one thing, some people genuinely don't know how badly animals can be treated.
    To take the p*** is another.

How many slaughterhouses have you been to? Have you ever seen an ox poleaxed? I've seen animals killed humanely often and it hasn't put me off eating meat, in fact it makes me feel better that they don't suffer, most methods are very quick and the animal doesn't know what is coming. However they only exist and have any life at all because I and others like me are prepared to eat their flesh or they wouldn't be farmed. I am aware that is not the case everywhere and that cruelty to animals does exist, that is not a reason I should stop eating meat.

And I'm sorry if my little joke hit a sensitive spot, but lighten up, I will take the p*** if I like you are perfectly at liberty to respond in a like manner.

the problem is that in America, the MAJORITY of livestock are treated cruelly. The ones that aren't are the exceptions, and thus cost more $$

I see from your profile that you live in Manhattan, NY.. How much farming experience do you have? In my experience, most of the people who campaign against the meat industry are urban dwellers who have had little or no hands on experience with the raising of livestock. They're knowledge comes from what they've read, mostly written by others who have issues with 'whatever'..

Most of 'flyover' country is farming country.. Farming/ranching is hard, back breaking work with little reward.. Farmers are subject to the whims of weather.. insect infestation, diseases that can wipe out whole crops and/or herds.. and decimate a livelihood in a season.. I, for one, am eternally grateful that there are those hardy, independent men and women who relish such a life, and feed a planet..

I grew up in Iowa

Lots of corn in Iowa.. Shall we discuss the evils of high fructose corn syrup next?
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    if our population ate less meat, we'd all be better off. Americans eat 100% more meat today than they did 50 years ago, that's why factory farming began to boom. We're no healthier now than we were then, so why not cut back and give ourselves better health, protect the environment, and lower the amount of animal abuse going on? Not to mention the introduction of all sorts of extra hormones and antibiotics into our systems.

'Fraid you've got to get your facts right if you're going to argue such things. US meat consumption has risen steadily (with red meat now declining and white meat increasing) but hasn't even doubled since 1909 so 100% in 50 years is a wee bit of an exaggeration. In fact red meat consumption is fairly static with a fluctuation of 20 - 30 grams per capita over the century from 1909 levels, and chicken has increased to more than double (would that have anything to do with a Col. Sanders?) but still way below red meat levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3045642/figure/F2/
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    To each their own. It's not my business what you eat or don't eat. I'm a vegetarian & that works for me. Everyone has their own lifestyle & beliefs that work for them.
    When I go out with people & we're all looking at the menu trying to decide what to have I'll say I'm having a veggie dish They suggest that that would be good with chicken or beef or whatever meat. I tell them I prefer it without the meat. If they ask why I just tell them I'm veg. Most end it right there. But, some sarcastically say, "Oh. You should have it with chicken. It'll taste so much better. It's good for you." "You should try it. It won't hurt you." "You don't know what you're missing." The sarcastic ones are usually those that think their way is the only way.
    I don't try to convert you to veg. Don't try to make me eat meat. I choose to eat this way & you choose to eat your way. End of discussion.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    if our population ate less meat, we'd all be better off. Americans eat 100% more meat today than they did 50 years ago, that's why factory farming began to boom. We're no healthier now than we were then, so why not cut back and give ourselves better health, protect the environment, and lower the amount of animal abuse going on? Not to mention the introduction of all sorts of extra hormones and antibiotics into our systems.

'Fraid you've got to get your facts right if you're going to argue such things. US meat consumption has risen steadily (with red meat now declining and white meat increasing) but hasn't even doubled since 1909 so 100% in 50 years is a wee bit of an exaggeration. In fact red meat consumption is fairly static with a fluctuation of 20 - 30 grams per capita over the century from 1909 levels, and chicken has increased to more than double (would that have anything to do with a Col. Sanders?) but still way below red meat levels.

Is this your first debate with Reddy - because this is his MO. :laugh:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Ever since I learned that carrots scream when picked, I cannot eat a carrot until someone invents a humane way of killing them. I am a meatarian because I don't want to see the poor little vegetables cruelly treated.

Oh do go away.
    To be ignorant to animal cruelty is one thing, some people genuinely don't know how badly animals can be treated.
    To take the p*** is another.

How many slaughterhouses have you been to? Have you ever seen an ox poleaxed? I've seen animals killed humanely often and it hasn't put me off eating meat, in fact it makes me feel better that they don't suffer, most methods are very quick and the animal doesn't know what is coming. However they only exist and have any life at all because I and others like me are prepared to eat their flesh or they wouldn't be farmed. I am aware that is not the case everywhere and that cruelty to animals does exist, that is not a reason I should stop eating meat.

And I'm sorry if my little joke hit a sensitive spot, but lighten up, I will take the p*** if I like you are perfectly at liberty to respond in a like manner.

the problem is that in America, the MAJORITY of livestock are treated cruelly. The ones that aren't are the exceptions, and thus cost more $$

I see from your profile that you live in Manhattan, NY.. How much farming experience do you have? In my experience, most of the people who campaign against the meat industry are urban dwellers who have had little or no hands on experience with the raising of livestock. They're knowledge comes from what they've read, mostly written by others who have issues with 'whatever'..

Most of 'flyover' country is farming country.. Farming/ranching is hard, back breaking work with little reward.. Farmers are subject to the whims of weather.. insect infestation, diseases that can wipe out whole crops and/or herds.. and decimate a livelihood in a season.. I, for one, am eternally grateful that there are those hardy, independent men and women who relish such a life, and feed a planet..

I grew up in Iowa

Lots of corn in Iowa.. Shall we discuss the evils of high fructose corn syrup next?

if you want... but they've also got lots of pigs.
  • jmdin
    jmdin Posts: 3
    Options
    Yeah, people tend to interrogate me whenever I admit to being vegetarian. For that reason, it's not something I really feel comfortable sharing with others. It only comes up if I'm eating at a new person's house or eating out, and then you have to deal with the whole 20 questions thing. A few years ago, when I first made the switch, many of my friends and family members acted guilty and asked if their chicken sandwich made me uncomfortable lol. But some jerks waved their food in my face and practically rolled around on the table moaning about how good it is. Blegh. I have to say, though, self-rightous vegetarians/vegans are just as bad (if not worse imo) as self-rightous omnivores.
  • feliligram
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian most of my life. I don't go around telling everyone I am because I don't feel the need too. When some people find out they're like "OMG REALLY?!?!?!?:noway: "
    and then it's a series of questions like is my mom one, why am I one? "you don't know what your missing" blah blah blah ect. :P
  • CoachReddy
    Options

100% IS doubling...

i've actually used that exact article in the past and a graph that goes with it to support this very argument.

from the low point after WW2, we have doubled our meat intake
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I believe that vegetarianism and veganism are different expressions of the same eating disorder. You're a human being, eat meat.

Vegetarian and vegan diets are not an eating disorder. We are human beings.. therefore we can choose what we decide is best for us. Just because we are humans doesn't mean we must eat meat.

My husband eats meat, I don't. My whole family eats meat. I don't preach my lifestyle to others. If they ask, I will tell them. I told my inlaws because we eat there a lot and they cook around a meat item. I had offered to bring my own meal however they are good with having something for me and refuse to let me bring my own meal. They asked why and I told them.. they were curious. I explained why I choose this lifestyle and that was it. A friend of mine kept telling me my choices were wrong... she and I no longer speak.

I have no issues if you decide to eat meat. I don't tell people my diet is better than theirs and don't appreciate being told some other diet is better than mine.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i basically don't want anyone telling me anything about themselves unless i specifically ask. the problem i have with vegetarians (the ones i know anyway) is that they tell me about it. i don't care. the only time you should bring it up is if i ask "are you a vegetarian?" or if i'm offering you food and you need to tell me you are a vegetarian. any other time is inappropriate
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

100% IS doubling...

i've actually used that exact article in the past and a graph that goes with it to support this very argument.

150g to 250g is not doubling........

and it's white meat that has increased while red meat - considered the worst mean has remained about the same.

Not sure why I'm bothering tbh.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Not all vegetarians (or nurses/vet techs) need to tell everyone they ever meet about it, but the ones who do end up 'representing' all of them in the minds of many people.

I do find it funny when people who live in big cities and have never even seen a real cow act like they know more about the life of a cow than someone who lives around cows, because this one time they watched an agenda-driven documentary.
  • amaira515
    amaira515 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.”

― Paul McCartney

That said I became a vegan for health after watching "Forks over knives" on netflix in a night of boredom. Before that I loved meat and I thought what most think that vegans and vegetarians were that way so they could be holier than thou and follow the newest craze. Once researching I learned better but I had to open my mind first.

I think the big problem with this, as with most topics between opposing views is a lack of ability to really listen to the other side. Getting further into the vegan community I have met the vegans that I do not like. The ones who are pushy and call anyone who eats meat a murderer. I don't believe this is a way to change the world. I believe you change the world by leading by example and educating. You can't educate if people have tuned you out because you started off by insulting them.

The idea of farming as we knew it is gone. There is no such thing as a farm that does not torture it's animals anymore. As I learned more my changing for health turned into a change for ethical reasons. Now that I know the pain that is inflicted so I can have something yummy I could never go back.

That said I am always torn on this. While I want to change people because I strongly believe we cannot sustain the growing demand for meat and dairy I do not think this can be done by preaching. So as hard as it is for me I let people come to me. If it comes up then I tell them I am vegan and usually if I continue to stay in contact with them they eventually come to me with questions. I can also make vegan meals and show there is no missing out. You can eat amazing food and taste like you never tasted before. With that I have had a couple friends go veggie and a bunch more cut down their meat/dairy intake by a considerable amount without any pushing.

I don't mind people who prefer to eat meat but the lack of knowledge bothers me and I find now that I have been vegan so long people talking about meat and the animals they are made from like they are no more then a wrapper you throw out does upset me but I usually bite my tongue because I know jumping on someone about it does more harm then good usually.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    personally i prefer animals that are tortured. they taste better
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

The idea of farming as we knew it is gone. There is no such thing as a farm that does not torture it's animals anymore. As I learned more my changing for health turned into a change for ethical reasons. Now that I know the pain that is inflicted so I can have something yummy I could never go back.

total BS.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

― Paul McCartney
    If that were true, all the people who worked in slaughterhouses would be vegetarians, as would all the people who hunt and fish.

"If Paul McCartney didn't do so many drugs, maybe he'd make more sense."
    ― Me
  • anotherkatie16
    anotherkatie16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't get offended when people tell me they're vegetarian, but I expect that they will do me the same favor, and at least withhold judgement on me when I tell them that I'm a carnivore. I have nothing at all against vegetarians, but I have encountered those who were prepared to crucify me for not jumping on their "new lifestyle OMG" bandwagon.

I tried vegetarianism for about six months. Frankly I didn't notice any huge benefit; in fact, I had to start taking iron supplements (as per my dr's orders) to avoid becoming anemic, and I was still eating legumes, nuts, etc. So I went back to eating meat, and I'm happy with the decision.

If you do a quick Google search for local farms, you can find places in your area that sell small-herd, humanely-raised and -slaughtered meats. You can also find the butcher shops and delis that carry their products. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, and I've found that a couple extra cents per pound is well worth it for the quality of meats I can find that are prepared in either a kosher, halal, or otherwise-humane fashion. (One does not have to be Jewish, Muslim, or a family farmer to take advantage of these preparation methods!)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    adbfb3a61c6f7e257b3ff65cc298b88c.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    Options

100% IS doubling...

150g to 250g is not doubling........

and it's white meat that has increased while red meat - considered the worst mean has remained about the same.

Not sure why I'm bothering tbh.

look more closely - it's at about 125g right around the 1937 mark
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options

― Paul McCartney
    If that were true, all the people who worked in slaughterhouses would be vegetarians, as would all the people who hunt and fish.

"If Paul McCartney didn't do so many drugs, maybe he'd make more sense."
    ― Me

You. I like you...