Get your Metabolic Rate tested !! My Metabolic reset story

Options

Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    On the weekend

I'll upload my pre bulk photo, my 9 month bulk photo, and my 3 cut photos

I'm really excited!!! to share!!! :). Stay tuned !!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    interesting information. Bump.
  • Kim55555
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My latest cut

August 1 - November 7 2014

1850 Gross weekly average calories

SW 66 kg
    CW 61 kg
    GBF% (Body fat %) 15 - 20 %
  • Kim55555
    Options
    karaks wrote: »
    I highly recommend getting tested also. According to all of the online calculators, I should be burning around 1550, so for a long time, I based my calories around that number....plus or minus 200-300 calories. I haven't been able to lose in 4 years and couldn't figure out why. I work out 5-6 days a week. I lift heavy and don't eat much processed food. Then I had my doctor test my thyroid, blood sugar, etc, etc. Everything came back normal. My doctor finally recommended this test.

My RMR, according to this test, is 2140. BMR is 2010. TDEE is from 2800-3200, depending on my workout that day. My doctor says these tests are pretty accurate and that these numbers basically mean I've been starving myself for a long time.

For the last week and a half, I've been eating around 24-2500 calories (vs 1500-1800). At first, I gained a lb or two, but I'm back down to what I was before the test and have lost an inch around my waist. I've had a TON more energy, slept better, and have been able to lift a little heavier. So glad I had this test done and truly believe I'll be able to lose the weight I want, now that I know how much I should be eating.

Interesting ha!

@RunRutheeRun
    @skinny4me2be
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

My average Gross Tdee stat was 2362.

So my Gross TDEE is approx 2350 with my moderate/high activity level

This info is vital to know for a variety of reasons when I do decide to maintain. One example: If I eat a lot more than this then I need to balance eating a bit under my tdee for the next couple of days.

Going back to this old topic from 2013.

yep, I'm bang on with this. My maintenance is definitely around the 2350 mark that's for sure. I've learnt this again this year.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    'So I started off eating mid 2500's and then most of the time for the past 5 weeks I have been eating mid to high 2000 calories !! In that time I have put on roughly half to 1 kg in weight I think. From August till end of January my weight was in the range of 57.5 - 59.5 kg and now its in the 58 - 59.7 range for the last couple of weeks.'

Is this where you were eating above TDEE? How Long did you do this ? What was the outcome?
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Also, from the OP, you increased your RMR 600 points. Where did you have tested? Apologies if this is in the first 9 pages. I didn't read all of them.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Will reply later when I get home
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Will reply later when I get home

Okey Dokey. I'm still reading. . . .alot of bumping from the old days of posting.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
  • Kim55555
    edited April 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    'So I started off eating mid 2500's and then most of the time for the past 5 weeks I have been eating mid to high 2000 calories !! In that time I have put on roughly half to 1 kg in weight I think. From August till end of January my weight was in the range of 57.5 - 59.5 kg and now its in the 58 - 59.7 range for the last couple of weeks.'

Is this where you were eating above TDEE? How Long did you do this ? What was the outcome?

Did it for 9 months. Put on 9 kg in 9 months. I learnt from this experience that my maintenance is around about 2350 average weekly gross calories for my activity level. :smile:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Also, from the OP, you increased your RMR 600 points. Where did you have tested? Apologies if this is in the first 9 pages. I didn't read all of them.

G'day you can get it tested at a number of different places... Have a read through the pages. I went to Mets Baldivis to get mine done.
  • Kim55555
    edited November 2015
    Options
    November 2015 update - Personal case study :smiley:

@heybales @RunRutheeRun @skinny4me2be @justmytype and others

I had another resting metabolic test yesterday. I wanted to make sure it was in the normal range during my latest cut.

I started at 66 kg on September 7 and currently around 9 weeks later im 62.6 kg. My goal is to get back to 57 kg and 25 % body fat that I got to twice before.

I'm happy with my progress losing 1 kg per month. Im fine if it takes me between 6-12 months to get back to my goal range of 57-59 kg 25 % body fat, I've gone down a couple of clothes sizes. The important thing for me is to 1. Ensure my RMR remains in the normal range during my defecit. 2. I have the energy to power me through my running program and heavy weights. 3. I don't go hungry and I can sustain this plan long term.

I regained 9 kg of my 33 kg that I lost from 2010-2012 the past 2 winters. Each spring and summer I've worked hard to take the weight off. The first time I had my RMR taken back in early 2013 it was in the 800's from not fuelling myself enough for all the exercise I was doing so it was too large a defecit. I had to do a metabolic reset to bring it back up to normal. This time I've been successful losing at a reasonable pace and I've been eating good amounts of food.

So yesterday when I had it tested I was happy to learn that my RMR was 1253 which is in the normal range! :smile:

I thought you might be interested to see what my activity level has been and the gross calorie amount eaten to achieve this weight loss and keep in the normal RMR range

My activities include:

4 times a week I walk 45 mins each way to work.
    3 times a week sprint interval training (running) short and middle distance in preparation for preseason (20-25 mins)
    0 - 1 time per week moderate jogging (30 mins)
    2 times per week heavy weights

My gross average weekly calorie breakdown

September 7 - September 13 - 2047 calories
    September 14 - September 20 - 1985 calories
    September 21 - September 27 - 2061 calories
    September 28 - October 4 - 2189 calories
    October 5 - October 11 - 1863 calories
    October 12 - October 18 - 1997 calories
    October 19 - October 25 - 2113 calories
    October 26 - November 1 - 2092 calories
    November 2 - November 8 - 1903 calories
    November 9 - November 15 - 1995 calories

I wish I had of got a baseline test to measure what my RMR was before starting my latest cut. Just to see if it was higher at the start. From the reading I do your metabolism is higher if you are eating in surplus and that was evident when mine went up from 800 - to 1300 in the space of 5 weeks.

The important thing in all of this is that I have managed to keep my RMR in the normal range this time whilst losing the fat. The normal range is between 1100 - 1500 according to the information the exercise physiologist gave me.

I had a dexa scan done too and my body fat % is currently 32.6 % which is borderline overweight. According to the stats for my age of 43 only 31 % of females my age have a lower body fat % than me so I'm not doing too badly but I still have work to do. I want to get back to 25 % body fat and then probably go lower than that. My body stabilises at the range of 57-59 kg so when I hit that weight range the scale stops moving and I'll be relying on dexa scans and photos to track my progress.

I plan to have another dexa scan and RMR test in 2 or 3 months time to track my progress. Haha some people spend their money on booze and partying I like to spend my money on this type of stuff and gyms :smiley:

Good news is I don't feel like I have to absolutely kill myself anymore by doing insane amounts of cardio. You can achieve with moderate amounts of exercise like i have been doing. The walking to and from work I classify as my NEAT activity and is not too tiring. I try to build a bit of NEAT into my day and the walking is part of my NEAT. At lunch time I sometimes will go stretch my legs for a little walk. Sometimes I'll climb a few stairs for 5 mins or so. The job I'm in is very sedentary sitting at my desk all day long so I ensure I build in some activity throughout the day. Then at nighttime I do my training and my training is focused on getting fit (performance) for footy and for health and not so much "how many calories can I burn kind of thing so i can get a bigger defecit) I'm doing wonderfully setting PB's on the track and getting stronger in the weight room. When I get to the 57 kg mark I'll just keep going and forever eat at minus 5 % and do a lifelong recomp. I don't like te word maintenance I'll recomp at 5 % below and I'll be fine ;)

Oh and also when I feel I'm not making progress (as you do sometimes when losing at a slower rate) I'll congratulate and remind myself of my running and weight lifting improvements that I've made. That keeps me motivated and positive throughout the journey. The scale hadn't moved in ages and was at the higher end of the range I got upset and then decided I'd try my black skirt on. Just 5 weeks earlier I couldn't even do the zipper up at all and I was able to zip it all the way up. So that confirmed to me my efforts were working. The scale finally moved a week or two later I think it was. :smile:

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Excellent synopsis of your situation. There are so many women on these boards wandering unnecessarily through the 1200-calorie desert... Really, young healthy active women are designed to eat more! I lose weight eating anywhere between about 1800-2200 and I'm O-L-D
    Hahaha... But I work out heavy too.
    Occasionally when I'm rushed off my feet I'll have a day of just eating 1100-1200 calories through simple poor planning & im always stunned by how low my macro & micronutrient percentages go. It is very hard to be 100% nourished eating down at that level.
  • Kim55555
    edited November 2015
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Excellent synopsis of your situation. There are so many women on these boards wandering unnecessarily through the 1200-calorie desert... Really, young healthy active women are designed to eat more! I lose weight eating anywhere between about 1800-2200 and I'm O-L-D
    Hahaha... But I work out heavy too.

thanks! :smiley: Its great to see another female able to lose eating 1800 - 2200 ! :smile: Good on you ! That's awesome!

I like to lose weight eating as much as possible. This time around it feels more like a marathon now rather than a sprint as I have no fixed deadline to get to the 57 kg. I'm looking at the big picture. There is no end actually. I'm looking at where I'll be in not just 6 months but 12 months, 24 months and on into the long term future. And I plan to do a never ending 5% deficit recomp when I eventually hit the 57-59 range. That way if I happen to be out with my calorie counting it will balance out in the end.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Same here.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    joshdann wrote: »
    RMR in athletes is well known to be lower, primarily because of the lower resting heart rate that comes from endurance training. Your case is interesting, and based on other studies that have been done on large groups of people, I think you may have had some inaccurate tests... maybe not, but that seems most likely. That, or you may have had low blood pressure that day, it may have been cold... things like that. Lowered heart rate, through any mechanism, generally results in a low RMR. BMR tests take longer and are more accurate because they measure your condition in multiple states.

If you were told by this "expert" that you were in some sort of "survival mode" I think he may not be a real expert. The scientists who study this concept have shown a maximum of a 20% reduction in BMR in subjects on long-term VLCDs. Even in that worst-case scenario, your RMR should not have been below 1000. The myth of survival/starvation mode has its roots in something called adaptive thermogenesis. While you certainly should have been affected by AT, eating at a deficit for that long, I can't find any studies that have shown a reduction in BMR as great as the one you've seen.

If your results are real, you might consider submitting to more involved tests. You'd be the only case I know of that has seen these results and I'm sure many of the people who make their living studying these things would love to study you :)

You said it better than I could. A RMR of 875 sounds ridiculously low. I read the whole thing and it doesn't make sense to me. I'm wondering if maybe the test isn't as accurate as the OP thinks. How do you go from an RMR of 75 to 1400 something, down to 1075? Yes, the more weight you lose, the less your TDEE is, but I feel like something is missing.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    November 2015 update - Personal case study :smiley:

@heybales @RunRutheeRun @skinny4me2be @justmytype and others

I had another resting metabolic test yesterday. I wanted to make sure it was in the normal range during my latest cut.

I started at 66 kg on September 7 and currently around 9 weeks later im 62.6 kg. My goal is to get back to 57 kg and 25 % body fat that I got to twice before.

I'm happy with my progress losing 1 kg per month. Im fine if it takes me between 6-12 months to get back to my goal range of 57-59 kg 25 % body fat, I've gone down a couple of clothes sizes. The important thing for me is to 1. Ensure my RMR remains in the normal range during my defecit. 2. I have the energy to power me through my running program and heavy weights. 3. I don't go hungry and I can sustain this plan long term.

I regained 9 kg of my 33 kg that I lost from 2010-2012 the past 2 winters. Each spring and summer I've worked hard to take the weight off. The first time I had my RMR taken back in early 2013 it was in the 800's from not fuelling myself enough for all the exercise I was doing so it was too large a defecit. I had to do a metabolic reset to bring it back up to normal. This time I've been successful losing at a reasonable pace and I've been eating good amounts of food.

So yesterday when I had it tested I was happy to learn that my RMR was 1253 which is in the normal range! :smile:

I thought you might be interested to see what my activity level has been and the gross calorie amount eaten to achieve this weight loss and keep in the normal RMR range

My activities include:

4 times a week I walk 45 mins each way to work.
    3 times a week sprint interval training (running) short and middle distance in preparation for preseason (20-25 mins)
    0 - 1 time per week moderate jogging (30 mins)
    2 times per week heavy weights

My gross average weekly calorie breakdown

September 7 - September 13 - 2047 calories
    September 14 - September 20 - 1985 calories
    September 21 - September 27 - 2061 calories
    September 28 - October 4 - 2189 calories
    October 5 - October 11 - 1863 calories
    October 12 - October 18 - 1997 calories
    October 19 - October 25 - 2113 calories
    October 26 - November 1 - 2092 calories
    November 2 - November 8 - 1903 calories
    November 9 - November 15 - 1995 calories

I wish I had of got a baseline test to measure what my RMR was before starting my latest cut. Just to see if it was higher at the start. From the reading I do your metabolism is higher if you are eating in surplus and that was evident when mine went up from 800 - to 1300 in the space of 5 weeks.

The important thing in all of this is that I have managed to keep my RMR in the normal range this time whilst losing the fat. The normal range is between 1100 - 1500 according to the information the exercise physiologist gave me.

I had a dexa scan done too and my body fat % is currently 32.6 % which is borderline overweight. According to the stats for my age of 43 only 31 % of females my age have a lower body fat % than me so I'm not doing too badly but I still have work to do. I want to get back to 25 % body fat and then probably go lower than that. My body stabilises at the range of 57-59 kg so when I hit that weight range the scale stops moving and I'll be relying on dexa scans and photos to track my progress.

I plan to have another dexa scan and RMR test in 2 or 3 months time to track my progress. Haha some people spend their money on booze and partying I like to spend my money on this type of stuff and gyms :smiley:

Good news is I don't feel like I have to absolutely kill myself anymore by doing insane amounts of cardio. You can achieve with moderate amounts of exercise like i have been doing. The walking to and from work I classify as my NEAT activity and is not too tiring. I try to build a bit of NEAT into my day and the walking is part of my NEAT. At lunch time I sometimes will go stretch my legs for a little walk. Sometimes I'll climb a few stairs for 5 mins or so. The job I'm in is very sedentary sitting at my desk all day long so I ensure I build in some activity throughout the day. Then at nighttime I do my training and my training is focused on getting fit (performance) for footy and for health and not so much "how many calories can I burn kind of thing so i can get a bigger defecit) I'm doing wonderfully setting PB's on the track and getting stronger in the weight room. When I get to the 57 kg mark I'll just keep going and forever eat at minus 5 % and do a lifelong recomp. I don't like te word maintenance I'll recomp at 5 % below and I'll be fine ;)

Oh and also when I feel I'm not making progress (as you do sometimes when losing at a slower rate) I'll congratulate and remind myself of my running and weight lifting improvements that I've made. That keeps me motivated and positive throughout the journey. The scale hadn't moved in ages and was at the higher end of the range I got upset and then decided I'd try my black skirt on. Just 5 weeks earlier I couldn't even do the zipper up at all and I was able to zip it all the way up. So that confirmed to me my efforts were working. The scale finally moved a week or two later I think it was. :smile:

Great Job Kim! Way to keep at it!! Your truly and inspriration!!!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Thanks skinny ☺️