Get your Metabolic Rate tested !! My Metabolic reset story

Options

Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused though! Are you saying that fluctuations mean that your glucose stores are going up and down? And that you shouldn't fluctuate much if your eating at your tdee? Because I was fluctuating between up & down approx 1.5 kg. I'm confused!

So think of it this way.

If you weighed on valid day which I've mentioned. You've had a chance to top of glucose stores on rest day and not drain them. So there should be little up or down water weight related to that.
    If normal sodium day before, little variation there.

Only variation would come from glucose stores not being topped off.
    Why would they not be topped off sometimes if you just had a rest day, but sometimes they would be?
    Because the carbs you ate on the rest day were sometimes not enough, sometimes enough, to top them back off.
    Why not enough?
    Because sometimes they were more depleted, sometimes not.
    Why?
    Because eating on the previous exercise day didn't make up for them totally. Because you didn't actually eat enough. Or eating too low carb for amount of exercise being done, that is only other possible way that works, like less than 100 grams a day, which is only 400 calories, which you could burn that much glucose very easy.

I agree on 10% from gross to start with. Not the over 500 you first thought of. Not the 10% from net you are thinking of.

Your net figure assumes you really know the calorie burn of the exercise.
    Besides, you take 10% off net, are you going to eat back the exercise calories?

Thanks, I think i understand it now.

Gross Tdee - 2350
    Net Tdee - 2150

Ok, good idea, I'll try that ! plus it saves me haviing to figure out what i burnt for each session, plus my guesses may not be accurate as you said ! I'll take 10% off my gross, ao i'll average 2150 gross calories. I'll input my exercise calories as 1 calorie burnt instead

• OP did you figure out your TDEE by trial and error? How did you settle upon such an accurate number?
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Yes trial and error and no nothing can ever be accurate. This is just a tool to help you work out your approx gross calories.

As an example here are my February stats.

Feb 2 - 2467       Feb 18 - 2795
    Feb 3 - 2409       Feb 19 - 2684
    Feb 4 - 2718         Feb 20 - 2720
    Feb 5 - 2675       Feb 21  - 2375
    Feb 6 - 2665       Feb 22 - 2656
    Feb 7 - 2580.      Feb 23 - 2497
    Feb 8 - 2313.        Feb 24 - 2892
    Feb 9 - 2572.       Feb 25 - 2680
    Feb 10 - 2508.     Feb 26 - 2938
    Feb 11 - 2783.       Feb 27 - 2624
    Feb 12 - 2807.     Feb 28 - 2473
    Feb 13 - 2652. 
    Feb 14 - 2583
    Feb 15 - 2631
    Feb 16 - 2768
    Feb 17 - 2670

71135 / 28 days =  Gross 2540
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kim55555
    Options
    My reappraisal has shocked me into action. I've struggled these past few weeks on my cut and have been eating 2-300 more calories than my goal. Since January I have put on 3.5 kgs and turns out I put on 6 cm on my waist! :(

Anyway I have been shocked into action, set myself the goal to hit 1900 gross calories. I'm sure the 1st couple of weeks will be the hardest because I have been used to eating lots more for the past few months, but I'm determined. I will have a reappraisal in 8 weeks time to check on my progress plus I'll be taking photos :)
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bumpity....to read later x
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Well I'm happy to report i'm finding it easier now to eat my goal amount. It took about a month of trying lol before I was successful. As I tend to eat over my goal I decided to set my gross calorie goal at 1850 in the hopes I can average about 1900. Sometimes I can go up to 2000 but in the end i'm hoping to average 1900. For the 1st 5 days i averaged about 1920 gross. Its a good start !

So its day 6 now and so far so good yey ! :) After eating a lot more for nearly 3 months it was a challenge to go back down in calories but im doing it now woohoo.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Kim55555
    Options
    :)
  • juleskitcat
    juleskitcat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bakerseve17
    Options
    ooh i appreciate this post. :D love it
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Thanks, your welcome! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Kim, I was reminded lately about another little research dig I'd done in the past, in prep for another post.

The timing of your RMR test within the month could easily reflect the fact you are at a high or low BMR, and potential for 200-400 calorie spread for the max variation in the month.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/36/4/611.full.pdf+html

Just to keep in back of mind, was test done on the hill or valley of the month, or nicely on the side of the hill?
    In our study, there is an average differ- ence of 0.25 kcal/min or 359 kcal/day in the BMR from its zenith, before menses, to its nadir, after ovulation.

So depending on the timing of your test, that may not be your avg value.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Kim, I was reminded lately about another little research dig I'd done in the past, in prep for another post.

The timing of your RMR test within the month could easily reflect the fact you are at a high or low BMR, and potential for 200-400 calorie spread for the max variation in the month.

Just to keep in back of mind, was test done on the hill or valley of the month, or nicely on the side of the hill?
    In our study, there is an average differ- ence of 0.25 kcal/min or 359 kcal/day in the BMR from its zenith, before menses, to its nadir, after ovulation.

Good point! I hadn't really thought about that too seriously. It had crossed my mind though because when I scheduled my next rmr test appointment I remember thinking that I wanted to be tested about the same time each month because of this very reaon ! It didn't work out unfortunately. I was due to go back exactly 4 weeks later to fall in line with my menstrual cycle but I had to postpone it a week as I had a really bad cold and the cold would have effected the test!

Next time I'll make sure I schedule according to my cycle, although mine tends to not be a regular clockwork thing. I've been noticing I get mine a bit earlier every month, making it hard to tell the exact point im at in my cycle etc. so what I have been doing lately is I type into my notes section in MVP when my period starts so I'll know when to expect it to arrive the next month. Wow 359 is a huge amount !! Thanks for the info !
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Interesting! Thank you for posting this, because I was unaware there was such a variation across the month.
    Darn, even the "simple" idea of "calories in/calories out" is complicated!
    I'll need to check and see when mine was done.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I asked about this from the place i got my rmr tested and the exercise physiologist reply was:

Hi Kim,
    For optimal comparison, yes...however the variation depends on the individual:)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Check out this link. Some interesting videos

The Metabolic Slowdown Thread

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150242583