Get your Metabolic Rate tested !! My Metabolic reset story

Options

Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    The other huge thing to this I wanted to mention.

You are eating 300 to 400 more calories daily (it appears, correct me if wrong).

And even if you rested all day, you are burning 600 more now. Net gain of 200-300 calories extra being burned - by eating more.

Add in to that an underfed body usually slows down your daily activity too. Even if you force yourself to the gym and workout, body finds a way to slow other activity down.
    So that 500-600 calorie workout has a loss of calories from undone daily activity could easily be another 200-400. Net burn in underfed state really only 100-400 calories.

No wonder you can lose weight by eating more than bare minimum.

Before when I was underfeeding it was a weekly average of around 1850. Now I could very well be averaging about 2500. I need to go over the last couple of weeks stats and work out my weekly average.

Half the time (for a 7 day week) i'm eating around 600 calories more a day, a quarter of the time i'm eating 600-1000 more and a quarter of the time i eat 400 - 600 calories more a day.

Yes I agree your on to something with the neat. Plus the slow down of all the other body processes that take place in to order to compensate.

The longer I go with this reset of mine the more i'm thinking seriously about continueing eating at tdee until footy season is over and thats the end of August. That is a good 7 months eating at maintenance. I could really do with a nice long break as I've been going at it losing since April 8 2010. I started at 91 kg. In the offseason come September I'll start my cut but this time it will be sensible, eating in the low 2000's and not overtraining but if I do happen to do to do a lot of activity one day i'll make sure i fuel myself properly for it. I am quite happy with the way my body is looking and if I never changed shape forever I'd be quite ok with it. I do however want to still make some improvements like toning up my midsection more and leaning out a bit more but that can wait im in no rush!

Thanks for all your help heybales i really appreciate it.

I've run out of time again. I want to post in the other 2 topics I created but it will have to wait till later as i'm off now meeting up for a bike ride.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    For people looking to get their RMR tested, you should check your local universities. Particularly if they have sports programs and/or a kinesiology major, they are likely to have an exercise physiology lab that will do testing on the general public for a fee. For example, here is what is available at San Francisco State University: http://exphys.weebly.com/fitness-testing-prices.html
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding a facility to get the test done at. Searched the Internet to no avail, called a couple hospitals and my doctor's office to no avail.

Try local uni's - don't know about the states but that seems to be the places to go here.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @ OP - Thank you SO much for all the responses but I still don't know YOUR AGE and that makes a huge difference! I am assuming that since you're playing footy you're in your lower 20s, but you never know. (If you don't mind telling...and apologizing in advance if I've missed that somewhere!)
    Thank you!!
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rodow
    rodow Posts: 26
    Options
    Bump
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend getting tested also. According to all of the online calculators, I should be burning around 1550, so for a long time, I based my calories around that number....plus or minus 200-300 calories. I haven't been able to lose in 4 years and couldn't figure out why. I work out 5-6 days a week. I lift heavy and don't eat much processed food. Then I had my doctor test my thyroid, blood sugar, etc, etc. Everything came back normal. My doctor finally recommended this test.

My RMR, according to this test, is 2140. BMR is 2010. TDEE is from 2800-3200, depending on my workout that day. My doctor says these tests are pretty accurate and that these numbers basically mean I've been starving myself for a long time.

For the last week and a half, I've been eating around 24-2500 calories (vs 1500-1800). At first, I gained a lb or two, but I'm back down to what I was before the test and have lost an inch around my waist. I've had a TON more energy, slept better, and have been able to lift a little heavier. So glad I had this test done and truly believe I'll be able to lose the weight I want, now that I know how much I should be eating.

Thats awesome. :)

When did your weight start to stabilise after gaining a pound or two ?

I seemed to have stabilized, I hope. I've been on vacation for the last week visiting family I haven't seen in a few years. I decided that I was going to take a diet break for the week and eat what I wanted when I wanted (within reason of course). I also decided that I wasn't going to weigh myself until I got back home. Well, I averaged eating around TDEE while on vacation and came back home yesterday. I weighed myself this morning and didn't gain any weight. But what totally made me happy was that, while on vacation, I had to buy two new pairs of jeans because the ones I had taken with me were getting too big. The best part is that the two pairs I bought were a size smaller than I normally wear. So even though I went up a total of 3 lbs since the beginning of March, I'm now down a size in jeans. I went up a few lbs, then down, then back up. At this rate, I'm not focusing as much on what the scale says as I am on eating enough and working out. And I'm sure I've still got some changes coming. I don't expect this to all work itself out in a matter of 3 weeks, but I'm completely excited about how it's going so far. :smile:
  • bpmichael
    bpmichael Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to get your metabolic rate tested by Medgem (now Microlife). Anyone interested in adding me please do as I am very interested in learning and discussing RMR / BMR

http://www.mimhs.com/medgem/patients/your-metabolic-measurement/
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    How you can get your BMR accurately or medically measured? I had no idea you could do that. Is it done by a doctor? How do they do it? Thanks
    I had a hydrostatic body composition analysis done at this place (they have them all over): http://www.bodyfattest.com/ The report included RMR, body fat, LBM (lean body mass: muscle, bones, organs). It also charted where I fell according to gender, age, etc.

Not in the UK :(
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    How you can get your BMR accurately or medically measured? I had no idea you could do that. Is it done by a doctor? How do they do it? Thanks

I want to know this, too. Is it covered by insurance or is this an out-of-pocket expense?
  • Kim55555
    Options
    @ OP - Thank you SO much for all the responses but I still don't know YOUR AGE and that makes a huge difference! I am assuming that since you're playing footy you're in your lower 20s, but you never know. (If you don't mind telling...and apologizing in advance if I've missed that somewhere!)
    Thank you!!

40 :)
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've only been eating under 1200 for 3 weeks so I'm still losing at a good rate. I have more energy than I did when I was overeating. Do you think I've already messed up my metabolism? My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie diet and gave me a prescription to help me get started. I'm usually not hungry enough to eat that much. This weekend I've been trying to eat more. I would like to stay at 1200 until our cruise in 2 weeks, so I will keep losing. I'm sure my calories will go up considerably while on vacation. According to what I've been reading on here I should be eating around 1600-1700 per day. If I were to start that now, I'm sure I would gain! But again, my doctor told me to eat 1200.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're 40!!! Excellent news. :):)
  • bpmichael
    Options

I want to know this, too. Is it covered by insurance or is this an out-of-pocket expense?
  • bpmichael
    Options

It is normally around 40 or 50 dollars, but not usually covered by insurance. From what I have seen you can get it done at certain gyms, universities w/ exercise physiology major, and some diet clinics
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    congrats to you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've only been eating under 1200 for 3 weeks so I'm still losing at a good rate. I have more energy than I did when I was overeating. Do you think I've already messed up my metabolism? My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie diet and gave me a prescription to help me get started. I'm usually not hungry enough to eat that much. This weekend I've been trying to eat more. I would like to stay at 1200 until our cruise in 2 weeks, so I will keep losing. I'm sure my calories will go up considerably while on vacation. According to what I've been reading on here I should be eating around 1600-1700 per day. If I were to start that now, I'm sure I would gain! But again, my doctor told me to eat 1200.

So, what are you losing exactly?

And how will it affect your future ability to either lose more, or maintain?
    Had experience with it before?

And don't even let feeling hungry be a factor, your hormones get messed up, of course you won't feel hungry. People that fast get to that point, so that is really immaterial.
  • Kim55555
    Options

So, what are you losing exactly?

And how will it affect your future ability to either lose more, or maintain?
    Had experience with it before?

And don't even let feeling hungry be a factor, your hormones get messed up, of course you won't feel hungry. People that fast get to that point, so that is really immaterial.

bump, Will reply later when home :) On a short lunch break right now and pretty much only have time to lurk.

Also i wish I could find Banks's topic from last year re underfeeding, and metabolism. The one that is 18 pages long. Does anyone have the link? I want to save it to my topics list as it has some great info! hmmm i might do a name search although i cant remember his username spelling.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Neat.