Bump
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    Got my RMR tested yesterday and met with a nutritionist (insurance covers four visits a year). She gave me lots of info, some I'm taking with a grain of salt. I need to reset a lot of values in my food diary here. I was primarily interested in the RMR test.

Oh good, I wasn't the only one curious, but i was scared to ask.

Well, now that that is out, how about the other stats to compare what is to what would have been calculated?

weight and estimated bodyfat% if you feel comfortable sharing.

Oops, didn't check back to this thread.

MFP has my current BMR as 1631. The testing for the RMR put me at 1710. From what I understand it's easier to test RMRs than BMRs and they're pretty close usually. My TDEE works out to the mid 2300s depending on which calculator I use, - 20% is about 1900. MFP has my calories at 1710, I reset the number to 1800, two people on these forums who run respected groups gave differing opinions, one said I should eat 1900-2000 using that method, and the other said 1700 but don't eat back exercise calories. The nutritionist said I shouldn't go over 1600, but I'm not going with that, some of what she said was outdated and/or not applicable or didn't make sense. I averaged my calories for the past four weeks and it's 1706, I've lost 5.6 lbs in that time, so the numbers are pretty good. I'd like it to be more, but understand it's a slow process. I'm still playing with things. But I encourage anyone who has access to and can afford the test, to go for it. It involves breathing in a mask for 8 mins while your nose is pinched off. It and the hour long visit with the nutritionist was $80, i had a $30 copay and used my flex spending account to pay for that.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    bookmarking
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    So if one has been eating close to BMR, can you reset slowly with slight increase to being back above BMR, or do you need to do a full-on eat at your ideal TDEE, accept some weight gain and then take it off slowly again?

The thing is, I was gaining weight last fall not eating a ridiculous amount more than I eat now, without having restricted calories consciously in several years.

Increase slowly, up to BMR, then to deficit amount, then to TDEE amount.
    Or 200 daily for a week or two.

What was the weight gain, fat or water?

Almost certainly fat. I hurt my feet, got sedentary, put on weight, lost muscle.
    I've run my theoretical BMR numbers at body fat percentages ranging from 30-45%, though, and realized that my MFP goal is below BMR for every BF% except 45%, AND that as I've been upping my activity levels, I'm regularly netting below even the lowest calculated BMR...

The calculations make me want to see what the "real thing" is, to compare the calculators to hard data.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Hi

I thought you might like to see my progress over the years. Transformation photo is taken from December 2009 at my heaviest to December 2012.

I have some more photos i want to upload to photobucket in my gym gear. I'll upload soon.

December2009-December2012.jpg
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow, @kim55555, you look great! What a terrific transformation! You don't look "bulky" to me in the least - just in really good shape.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Very interesting; thanks for the post!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Thanks. I guess it depends what shot is taken, the angle, what I'm wearing & the pose etc. I'll post some pics of me in my gym gear when I get around to it. I have to upload to photo bucket still.

I have to keep reminding myself yes I may be a bit bigger than I'd like but it's a lot nicer than a fat upper body lol. Haha and you can't really change your body shape type, you just have to make the best of it hey
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I just wrote down my stats.

For the past 8 weeks:
    I averaged 2596 Gross calories and 2310 Net calories

I put on roughly 1 kg each month.

Today I decided to lower my calories because I think my tdee is a bit less than what i've been averaging over the past 8 weeks.

I've set my goal to eat 2150 net calories. I'll give it a month at this amount and see if my weight stabilises.

How does this sound?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just wrote down my stats.

For the past 8 weeks:
    I averaged 2596 Gross calories and 2310 Net calories

I put on roughly 1 kg each month.

Today I decided to lower my calories because I think my tdee is a bit less than what i've been averaging over the past 8 weeks.

I've set my goal to eat 2150 net calories. I'll give it a month at this amount and see if my weight stabilises.

How does this sound?

So if really all fat that last 8 weeks, 15400 extra calories over that time, or 275 over estimated TDEE.

But, if that 8 weeks started with the increase of eating, then there was undoubtedly some water weight, so should take that out before seeing how many extra calories.
  • Kim55555
    Options

So if really all fat that last 8 weeks, 15400 extra calories over that time, or 275 over estimated TDEE.

But, if that 8 weeks started with the increase of eating, then there was undoubtedly some water weight, so should take that out before seeing how many extra calories.

Oh yeah I forgot to take into account water weight. So maybe 1 kg of weight i put on was water weight and the other 1 kg I put on in weight was from fat/muscle.

How much do you think would be a good amount to trial? I don't want to get it wrong and cheat myself out of calories. Im pretty patient too and will give the new trial amount 4 weeks to see how it works. Perhaps instead of trialling 2150 net calories I should go with 2200 and see how that goes! Ok so i guess the only way I'll know for sure is to experiment with 2200 net and see what happens

Thanks! :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kim55555
    Options
    It's weird because I think i might have a distorted body image! I look at myself in the gym mirror and see myself as bigger (more muscles) than what I might really have!! Because when I look at the photos I've taken of myself in my workout gear and other clothes my shape looks a lot nicer and my muscles don't look as big. I just see nice definition. How odd. I think I'll go with the photos and not worry anymore. The camera never lies!

I'll have to get around to posting my photos! I was having problems with my computer before and couldn't do it
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Here is my transformation story i posted in the eat more to weigh less group. Actually I think i'll paste this in the success stories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/942758-my-photos-32-kgs-lost-from-2010-2013
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Here is a side by side comparison pic. On the left January & on the right March 30 2013.

I think I can see a difference. I look a bit leaner on the right! What do you think? Can you notice it?? If so that is amazing because I ate in surplus the past couple of months yet I look leaner. My tummy doesnt appear to stick out as much!! woohoo. I am standing a bit further away on the photo on the right and my arms are in a different position. Would that effect the way my tummy looks though ?

2lsejad.jpg
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Here is a side by side comparison pic. On the left January & on the right March 30 2013.

I think I can see a difference. I look a bit leaner on the right! What do you think? Can you notice it?? If so that is amazing because I ate in surplus the past couple of months yet I look leaner. My tummy doesnt appear to stick out as much!! woohoo. I am standing a bit further away on the photo on the right and my arms are in a different position. Would that effect the way my tummy looks though ?

2lsejad.jpg

I can tell a difference! You look fantastic! :smile:
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Thank you for sharing - was thinking of just going to get a body scan to get an accurate bf% but now am definitely going to look into testing my RMR too! Had no idea it was so affordable and takes so much of the guessing out of figuring out ones daily calorie burn. Brilliant!

Btw, you look great! :-)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Thank you for sharing - was thinking of just going to get a body scan to get an accurate bf% but now am definitely going to look into testing my RMR too! Had no idea it was so affordable and takes so much of the guessing out of figuring out ones daily calorie burn. Brilliant!

Btw, you look great! :-)

Well, if anything can be learned from this story, it's not to base your eating level on a lower than expected number, but rather to fix it and raise it back up.

Otherwise if your current eating level forced it low, going lower is not going to help except lose a tad more weight until system slows down again.

But as you mentioned, the combo is great.
    Let's you see if you have less LBM than avg for your age, height, weight - perhaps due to burning off muscle eating too low.
    Let's you see if your RMR matches the amount of LBM you have, or is it suppressed even more than needed which means repair is required.