Get your Metabolic Rate tested !! My Metabolic reset story

Options

Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I bumped into a former colleague who in the last 8 weeks has only seen me a few times and then just fleetingly. He said I look fantastic and that I have lost so much weight ! I said would you believe it, I've actually put on weight. I put on 3 kg in 9 weeks. It's so good to get this helpful feedback as it is evidence I'm on the right track and progressing well.The day before another ex colleague told me for a second there he didn't recognise me. Hmmm I wondered why as he was going out the door to get in the lift that he didn't say hi haha. He just kept walking lol. Then a bit later he comes back out of the lift to come back into the office. I'm starting to wonder if he came back quickly because he was doing a double take to look at me. Another friend I haven't seen in 6 weeks I can't wait to see his reaction!

These reactions came at the right time for me because after just a week since I reduced my net calorie amount I stepped on the scale and weighed a new high of 61.1. I'm 3 kg up now. I'm worried and wondering when my body is going to stabilise. This morning I decided to lower my net calories to 2000 net thinking I still might be eating a bit too much over tdee. Now I'm confused as to what I'd do. Should I stay at 2150 net for 2 more weeks and see what happens or lower it to 2000 net ?

Maybe it is time I seriously think about throwing the scale out and just track my progress by the way I look in photos, how my clothes are fitting and comments people make towards me.

I'm seeing someone tomorrow who I haven't seen in about 1 year and I'm looking forward to his reaction. :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Thanks guys ! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    These reactions came at the right time for me because after just a week since I reduced my net calorie amount I stepped on the scale and weighed a new high of 61.1. I'm 3 kg up now. I'm worried and wondering when my body is going to stabilise. This morning I decided to lower my net calories to 2000 net thinking I still might be eating a bit too much over tdee. Now I'm confused as to what I'd do. Should I stay at 2150 net for 2 more weeks and see what happens or lower it to 2000 net ?

Maybe it is time I seriously think about throwing the scale out and just track my progress by the way I look in photos, how my clothes are fitting and comments people make towards me.

I'm seeing someone tomorrow who I haven't seen in about 1 year and I'm looking forward to his reaction. :)

Great progress it sounds like.

So you are doing a non-exercise TDEE method then?

Because you said net goal couple times, implying like MFP, you are eating back exercise calories.

If so, that's fine - how do you know those are correct?
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Great progress it sounds like.

So you are doing a non-exercise TDEE method then?

Because you said net goal couple times, implying like MFP, you are eating back exercise calories.

If so, that's fine - how do you know those are correct?

Hi

I eat back the exercise calories. I'm not 100% sure I I enter the right calorie burn though per activity like for instance for a 20 min fast run I log it as about 180. For a moderate 2 hour ride I log it as about 700 calories. I usually calculate it as about 2/3 of what mfp gives it. I have used my hrm a few times for comparison. Perhaps I need to use the non exercise tdee method. I'm between the moderately active to - highly active range.

Anyhow I was going to edit my post before but then noticed you had replied. :) I forgot to say that I am starting to wonder if it is possible for someone who is in surplus to be able to put muscle on whilst at the same time lose fat. I didn't think that was possible but I'm thinking that I might have done it! Or the other explanation is I have actually been eating at tdee for the past 9 weeks and have been recomping. It's bizarre I think. I think I'll change my net back to 2150. I'll keep at for a while longer and see how my body reacts. I'm making some exciting progress and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish eating in this range for a while.

Oh wow it's getting late. I need some sleep. I'll check back in later! Thanks for your help. :)
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    Options
    I eat back the exercise calories. I'm not 100% sure I I enter the right calorie burn though per activity like for instance for a 20 min fast run I log it as about 180. For a moderate 2 hour ride I log it as about 700 calories. I usually calculate it as about 2/3 of what mfp gives it. I have used my hrm a few times for comparison. Perhaps I need to use the non exercise tdee method. I'm between the moderately active to - highly active range.

Anyhow I was going to edit my post before but then noticed you had replied. :) I forgot to say that I am starting to wonder if it is possible for someone who is in surplus to be able to put muscle on whilst at the same time lose fat. I didn't think that was possible but I'm thinking that I might have done it! Or the other explanation is I have actually been eating at tdee for the past 9 weeks and have been recomping. It's bizarre I think. I think I'll change my net back to 2150. I'll keep at for a while longer and see how my body reacts. I'm making some exciting progress and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish eating in this range for a while.

Oh wow it's getting late. I need some sleep. I'll check back in later! Thanks for your help. :)

You may actually be underestimating your calorie burn by decent amount if frequent and long.

And if surplus is very minor, you can increase LBM and some muscle and lose fat. Likely will store some fat somewhere else though.

I'll mention for realism of gaining muscle, or more likely gaining LBM which includes some muscle, is not that fast.

Here is study of men, so right hormones you don't get. Newbie lifting, and never changed their diet.
    Gained 3.5 lbs of LBM (they didn't measure how much of that is muscle) in 16 weeks, and lost that much fat, weight stayed the same.
    RMR went up 7%.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/778012-potential-muscle-gain-lifting-and-metabolism-improvement

Just to show the claims that lbs of muscle was added in a month eating at a deficit isn't possible. You can get stronger using existing muscle. And now there is a need to store glucose and water in that muscle being used more.
    So literally you could say muscle weight went up, because that is in the muscle, but one good workout and it's gone until you eat again. And you didn't really create new extra muscle.

If exercise is anywhere near constant for type and time and not extreme, TDEE deficit method does work better during loss because of that factor of how to know what you burned.

Otherwise a totally tweaked HRM or other method using your avgHR during the workout can be more accurate.

Even if overweight, if decent cardio fitness, cheaper Polar's are underestimating your calorie burn. Sometimes a lot when you add up a week.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Bump, awesome info. Getting my rmr n bf% tested at a uni very soon esp since i was on a vlcd for about 5 months. Wish i knew all this info abt bf% and lbm before hand.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    And if surplus is very minor, you can increase LBM and some muscle and lose fat. Likely will store some fat somewhere else though.

Oh ok

And now there is a need to store glucose and water in that muscle being used more.
    So literally you could say muscle weight went up, because that is in the muscle, but one good workout and it's gone until you eat again. And you didn't really create new extra muscle.

Actually my exercise hasn't really changed. I'm not using my muscle more. The only difference was that I started increasing my calories. So because I was asking a lot from my muscles as I usually do when im eating in defecit or surplus I was able to store more muscle glycogen and water in readiness for future exercise. If I hadnt been exercising at all it would have been stored as fat rather than the glycogen. im thinking
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Bump, awesome info. Getting my rmr n bf% tested at a uni very soon esp since i was on a vlcd for about 5 months. Wish i knew all this info abt bf% and lbm before hand.

Its never too late. Thats great, good on you! :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    How long does my weight have to be stable before I know I have stabilised and realised I have hit my tdee?

Since the middle of march until now the 6th April I have been fluctuating between a 1.5 kg range.The highest weight being 61.1. I have a feeling I have stablised but just wondered if I should give it another 2 weeks just to make sure. What do you think?

I'm thinking I'll start my cut at a slight defecit of 10% starting 3 months after my metabolic reset on May 2nd. My weight seems to be looking like its consistent the past couple of weeks so I think i've hit the right tdee calories now
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I got my RMR tested today.
    I really thought (hoped) it would be higher. 1512 isn't bad, but using the online calculators I was assuming my BMR to be about 1500. I am now very curious what my BMR is.
    The nutritionist I met with in order to get tested suggested I eat about 1450 per day to lose weight. Considering I lift 3 days a week, I'm thinking that is kind of low. I'm going to try 1600/ day and see how that goes.
  • heybales
    Options
    How long does my weight have to be stable before I know I have stabilised and realised I have hit my tdee?

Since the middle of march until now the 6th April I have been fluctuating between a 1.5 kg range.The highest weight being 61.1. I have a feeling I have stablised but just wondered if I should give it another 2 weeks just to make sure. What do you think?

I'm thinking I'll start my cut at a slight defecit of 10% starting 3 months after my metabolic reset on May 2nd. My weight seems to be looking like its consistent the past couple of weeks so I think i've hit the right tdee calories now

That's a good sign if you already tested your 250 more daily for 2 weeks.

If that sort of fluctuation isn't due to invalid weigh-in days, or vastly different sodium levels day before, then it sounds like glucose stores are going down and up. If valid weigh-in day, that really shouldn't happen if eating at TDEE.
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump... great info. I've been eating above TDEE for about 3 weeks... not purposely though, just been really hungry lately. Back to cutting again, but this makes me rethink my calorie goals, probably way too low on my exercise days which is 4-6 days/week.
  • heybales
    Options
    I got my RMR tested today.
    I really thought (hoped) it would be higher. 1512 isn't bad, but using the online calculators I was assuming my BMR to be about 1500. I am now very curious what my BMR is.
    The nutritionist I met with in order to get tested suggested I eat about 1450 per day to lose weight. Considering I lift 3 days a week, I'm thinking that is kind of low. I'm going to try 1600/ day and see how that goes.

Do you have the spreadsheet referenced in posts above or on my profile page?

Fill out stats on Simple Setup tab, then go to TDEE Deficit tab.
    Top right, RMR section.
    There is Cunningham RMR calculated from your bodyfat%.
    Enter your tested RMR.
    There is the BMR based on that using Katch.
    There is also the amount of BF% that would go with your tested value, if your are within the normal 5% range of RMR for your BF%.

So with that info, if tested is higher than calculated, use the BF% shown there on the Simple Setup tab instead.
    This reflects the fact you probably have more LBM, and you'll want to eat appropriate to that to retain muscle mass.

If the tested is lower than calculated but within 5% range, still use that BF% on Simple Setup tab.

If lower than 5% range, assume you are suppressed, rather than accidentally making it worse by eating even less.
    Keep your BF% estimate on Simple Setup with whatever the calc's came up with.
    You'll want to try to increase it to what should be expected. Unless you know you have a thyroid problem.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Do you have the spreadsheet referenced in posts above or on my profile page?

Fill out stats on Simple Setup tab, then go to TDEE Deficit tab.
    Top right, RMR section.
    There is Cunningham RMR calculated from your bodyfat%.
    Enter your tested RMR.
    There is the BMR based on that using Katch.
    There is also the amount of BF% that would go with your tested value, if your are within the normal 5% range of RMR for your BF%.

So with that info, if tested is higher than calculated, use the BF% shown there on the Simple Setup tab instead.
    This reflects the fact you probably have more LBM, and you'll want to eat appropriate to that to retain muscle mass.

If the tested is lower than calculated but within 5% range, still use that BF% on Simple Setup tab.

If lower than 5% range, assume you are suppressed, rather than accidentally making it worse by eating even less.
    Keep your BF% estimate on Simple Setup with whatever the calc's came up with.
    You'll want to try to increase it to what should be expected. Unless you know you have a thyroid problem.

Thanks! I will do this all tonight when I get home from work.

ETA: from what I understand the RMR fluctuates because the testing situation isn't as strict as BMR testing. I ate a breakfast of 250 calories and then fasted for 4 hours before testing. Does that make my RMR results a little more close to my BMR?
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks! I will do this all tonight when I get home from work.

ETA: from what I understand the RMR fluctuates because the testing situation isn't as strict as BMR testing. I ate a breakfast of 250 calories and then fasted for 4 hours before testing. Does that make my RMR results a little more close to my BMR?

If still digesting, so that will depend on what it was and how your body does it, that would have inflated the RMR over reality.

If you exercised yesterday and body was still spending extra energy on recovery, inflated too.

Normally there is about 150-250 spread between BMR and RMR. Actually 0.4 * LBM + 130.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Happy to see I have inspired so many! :)

My latest update

On April 8 2013 I celebrated my 3 year weight loss anniversary. I decided to start my cut a few weeks early as I was keen to make my commitment on my anniversary date. My metabolic reset lasted 9 weeks.

I'm so glad I took the time to find out what my tdee is, and what happens to me if I go above tdee and keep lifting heavy (I pack on muscle haha)

My average Gross Tdee stat was 2362.

So my Gross TDEE is approx 2350 with my moderate/high activity level

This info is vital to know for a variety of reasons when I do decide to maintain. One example: If I eat a lot more than this then I need to balance eating a bit under my tdee for the next couple of days.

My average Net TDEE calorie stat was 2155. I'll round down to 2150

All of these stats are just approximations it's not 100% of course, nothing is!

Maybe I should have kept eating at tdee for a few more weeks but I was keen to start my cut again and felt the time was right to start the cut plus I felt my weight had stabilised to start eating at a deficit again!

So I have set my net calories to 1800 & I'm trying not to go over gross calories per day. The only time I'll eat over 2100 is if I go on a long bike ride or there is some kind of occasional special event or I decide to have a refeed. I'm thinking that every 7th day I'll eat at my net maintenance amount for the benefit of my hormones and leptin levels. Plus it means I get to have a little more food if I go out. Its also good psycologically/physiologically to eat at tdee every now and again.

Right so here are my stats:

Gross Tdee - 2350
    Net Tdee - 2150
    Cutting net - 1800

I'm having second thoughts on my cutting amount now. 1800 is more than & 10 % defecit ! Perhaps I should first experiment with 1950 net and see how I go with that amount for the next 8 weeks. If I don't lose measurements or look thinner then I could cut down to 1850 and try that for the following 8 weeks. What do you guys think ?? A key point is... I have to remind myself that I managed to lose fat whilst gaining some muscle eating above my tdee during my reset, hmmm so I think I've answered my own question lol. I think I will cut at 1950 & see how I go for the next 8 weeks.

I don't get measured until the 24th April ( 2 weeks time) which is unfortunate. I'll try to see if there is a cancellation. I'll take monthly photos measurements & skin folds and see how I fit in my clothes over this time period. I doubt the scale will move again so i won't be judging my progress with the scale again lol! My body seems to like 61 now!!

There was a lady I hadn't seen for a while at work yesterday and she put her arm around my waist commenting I was fading away. I told her I put on 3 kg she said "noooooo, nooooo way!!! ". I told her I'd put muscle on and lost fat.
  • Kim55555
    Options

That's a good sign if you already tested your 250 more daily for 2 weeks.

If that sort of fluctuation isn't due to invalid weigh-in days, or vastly different sodium levels day before, then it sounds like glucose stores are going down and up. If valid weigh-in day, that really shouldn't happen if eating at TDEE.

Thanks

I'm a little confused though! Are you saying that fluctuations mean that your glucose stores are going up and down? And that you shouldn't fluctuate much if your eating at your tdee? Because I was fluctuating between up & down approx 1.5 kg. I'm confused!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm a little confused though! Are you saying that fluctuations mean that your glucose stores are going up and down? And that you shouldn't fluctuate much if your eating at your tdee? Because I was fluctuating between up & down approx 1.5 kg. I'm confused!

So think of it this way.

If you weighed on valid day which I've mentioned. You've had a chance to top of glucose stores on rest day and not drain them. So there should be little up or down water weight related to that.
    If normal sodium day before, little variation there.

Only variation would come from glucose stores not being topped off.
    Why would they not be topped off sometimes if you just had a rest day, but sometimes they would be?
    Because the carbs you ate on the rest day were sometimes not enough, sometimes enough, to top them back off.
    Why not enough?
    Because sometimes they were more depleted, sometimes not.
    Why?
    Because eating on the previous exercise day didn't make up for them totally. Because you didn't actually eat enough. Or eating too low carb for amount of exercise being done, that is only other possible way that works, like less than 100 grams a day, which is only 400 calories, which you could burn that much glucose very easy.

I agree on 10% from gross to start with. Not the over 500 you first thought of. Not the 10% from net you are thinking of.

Your net figure assumes you really know the calorie burn of the exercise.
    Besides, you take 10% off net, are you going to eat back the exercise calories?