Eating Pop Tarts and ice cream daily.

Options

Replies

• fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I probably don't belong here because I don't like Pop Tarts. My kids used to eat them. I'd take a bite and think, blah, bland, not enough sweet.

I think I'll stick to my daily cookies and chocolate ... yes, I'm serious. My diary is open.

I can't bring a half gallon of ice-cream into my home. It is my one weakness. But I do allow myself a single serving now and then. Maybe I'll get one of those single-serve containers and put it between two Kashi cookies. Mmm....
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

but whatever. y'all think you're right and I think i'm right. I'm done. :)

Happy_Dance.jpg

:flowerforyou:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Back on track

6002537933_e8d711701d.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1312325953380
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    SO basically, if you don't pull it out of the ground or gnaw it straight off the bone, it's highly processed?

BUT- IHOP Chicken and Waffles are cool. :noway:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, corn bread (home made by myself thank you), Cherrios, Fiber One,milk, cottage cheese. Must count as junk because they didn't come directly from the earth.

they're all heavily processed and fortified, exactly in the ways pop tarts, cookies and ice cream are.

Coach Reddy, I'm confused. IHOP Chicken & Waffles--do they not count as processed? Do the waffles contain only unfortified flour? Adding up the processed food in your diary yesterday, I get at least 50%.

Just an observation.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    you talk about logic - you can't have an opinion about a fact. something is either factually processed or it is factually not processed. there is no opinion on the matter. it either comes from a factory or the ground. It comes in a box/package/can or it comes from the produce section.

but something can be "minimally" processed or "heavily" processed - THAT can be opinion.

processed past participle verb
    Perform a series of mechanical or chemical operations on (something) in order to change or preserve it: "the stages in processing the wool".
    Walk or march in procession: "they processed down the aisle".

Most food we eat is processed, whether it's in the produce section or not. That doesn't inherently make it bad for us. How much do you weigh?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, corn bread (home made by myself thank you), Cherrios, Fiber One,milk, cottage cheese. Must count as junk because they didn't come directly from the earth.

they're all heavily processed and fortified, exactly in the ways pop tarts, cookies and ice cream are.

Coach Reddy, I'm confused. IHOP Chicken & Waffles--do they not count as processed? Do the waffles contain only unfortified flour? Adding up the processed food in your diary yesterday, I get at least 50%.

Just an observation.

1) not actually from ihop
    2) yesterday was cheat day because my girlfriend wanted to go to this place we saw on tv, so we did. :smile:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    and my processed foods have

1) as few ingredients as possible
    2) are not empty calories
    3) are nutritionally dense

but I know, you guys really love things black and white. the problem is that this whole time I've been talking about nutritionally deficient, and heavily processed foods.

we all eat processed foods, but it's your choice HOW HEAVILY processed they are.

(damnit I really wanted to be done)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

but I know, you guys really love things black and white. the problem is that this whole time I've been talking about nutritionally deficient, and heavily processed foods.

we all eat processed foods, but it's your choice HOW HEAVILY processed they are.

Its ok we knew you couldn't stay away...... :drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Its ok we knew you couldn't stay away...... :drinker:

i just love you guys too much. :love:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Cottage cheese and greek yoghurt are not heavily processed. I make them at home.

And I thought you'd left. I changed my pic and everything. :laugh:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    108-1206-1-pb.jpg
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Because I think it's important:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004446&acct=nopgeninfo

Ice cream isn't nutritionally void. Bloomberg said so.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    also this:
    Empty calories, in casual dietary terminology, are a measure of the digestible energy present in high-energy foods with little nutritional value, typically processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an "empty calorie" has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calorie

Did you just cite Wikipedia as an information source? Even processed foods today are fortified with micronutrients (i.e Poptarts)

please continue reading. fortified nutrients are not as bioavailable as real nutrients and have been banned in a number of European countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_fortification

You run into the same sort of issues with food in general... not all the nutrients are bioavailable in a cooked piece of chicken as well. Obviously if your diet consist SOLELY of poptarts there will be issues. Eating whole foods that are nutrient dense, and then a poptart to fill in remaining calories is not a problem? Also, after you cited Wikipedia as an information source, you then cited it again as a rebuttal to its legitimacy? I dont even....
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Cottage cheese and greek yoghurt are not heavily processed. I make them at home.

And I thought you'd left. I changed my pic and everything. :laugh:

I know... :laugh: then a couple people called me out on my diary - which is pretty damn beautiful if I say so myself - simply because, for the first time in a few weeks, I had something crappy for me.

thought y'all were all about moderation!

(sorry about the pre-emptive picture change...)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    also this:
    Empty calories, in casual dietary terminology, are a measure of the digestible energy present in high-energy foods with little nutritional value, typically processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an "empty calorie" has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber.

Did you just cite Wikipedia as an information source? Even processed foods today are fortified with micronutrients (i.e Poptarts)

please continue reading. fortified nutrients are not as bioavailable as real nutrients and have been banned in a number of European countries.

You run into the same sort of issues with food in general... not all the nutrients are bioavailable in a cooked piece of chicken as well. Obviously if your diet consist SOLELY of poptarts there will be issues. Eating whole foods that are nutrient dense, and then a poptart to fill in remaining calories is not a problem? Also, after you cited Wikipedia as an information source, you then cited it again as a rebuttal to its legitimacy? I dont even....

nope, that's not a problem, as I have said multiple times throughout this thread. (people just only pay attention to the parts they want to flame)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    ROLLING :drinker:

pop-tart-ice-cream-01.jpg
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Come on!! 6 more pages and we can roll this thread again!!!!!

american-kellogg-s-chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-pop-tarts-400g-327-p_zpse6c121bd.jpg

All Hail the Pop Tart!!!:drinker:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    also this:

nope, that's not a problem, as I have said multiple times throughout this thread. (people just only pay attention to the parts they want to flame)

Have you noticed a trend. In the majority of the threads you post in, it is you arguing with just about everyone else. Then you accuse people of having "sides". Do you see anyone else here agreeing with you. I saw someone post something appropriate the other day that you may want to think about. It went something like this; if you run into someone that in a problem during a day, they were a problem. If all you run into are people you think have problems, you are the problem.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    9F96F288-76B7-4242-A9C8-B4A1DD4C6441-5910-0000044FC18A2B4E_zpsbb436f1f.jpg

Bought these Saturday. I'm mobile right now. I'll have to resize later.