My husband is boycotting my cooking...

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Hmm so all your POSSIBLE problems are his fault? There is no POSSIBLE way that you are just hearing one side to the story and he might paint a different picture altogether?

Ok I missed the nuance here myself, so, cutting you some slack: He is REFUSING TO EAT DINNER because he doesn't like the food. Even if OP's horrible (and honestly she sounds amazing, no way I'd ever garden) - is that what a grown up human does?

Maybe his dinner was a massive pleasure in his life, something he looked forward to. Maybe it was one of the reasons that he loves his wife so much "My wife's cooking is fantastic!" He boasts to his mates "I look forward to her dinners every day". Life is tough, work is hard, every day is a battle. Eating nice foods is a simple pleasure that helps get through the day......

....And she has suddenly taken away that pleasure
    If that's the case, he could have found a more respectful way of expressing his displeasure, or, working around it. Again - his response shows he doesn't take responsibility for his emotions. He is trying to punish/guilt her, and causing himself suffering in the process. And probably enjoying it a bit.

No matter what's going on on the other side.

I doubt he's cleaning her car.

Therein lies the problem on this thread. All the women have a mental picture of a spoilt, lazy, immature man who sits on his fat *kitten* demanding to be waited upon.

You doubt he does things for her because of the way he has been portrayed. He could be the kindest, most generous, loving husband who does everything for his wife and goes out of his way to make her happy; and all he asks for in return is for delicious meal.

Or he could be a right selfish, spoilt, arrogant git who throws a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants.

I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It depends on whats being cooked. If you expect a man who is not dieting to eat some nasty stuff that some people will eat while on a diet, then thats a little selfish. HOWEVER the way he is talking to you and having a tantrum is a no no.

I don't know, maybe I am old school but I would want to please my hubbies tummy. Because if I am married to the man I am sure he is pleasing me in many ways. It goes both ways. I don't consider me pleasing the person I love as being a slave or whatever. Just brings me pleasure. But yeah, your husband is not going about it the right way lol

Finally, a woman with common sense!

Aren't you a woman? (I mean, troll-woman.)

So being a woman means I have to agree with a bunch of selfish women? She clearly said she has chosen to be the cook in the relationship. Well the man is sick of all that fancy diet crap. I dont blame him for wanting a pizza, burger, fries, etc. PLan the menu out for 2, not just 1.

Ann Coulter fan, out of curiousity?

Oh dear god, you're my hero. Seriously. Props on this one, props. Michelle Bachman is probably second only to Ann Coulter.
    This is why i never come on the forums but YOU.ROCK.

Thanks! I can't stand Ann Coulter, though.

She is a nasty little gnome, isn't she? troll, gnome...

Whew, sorry, not reading closely tonight! Yeah, horrible, twisted person. Goodish hair, sometimes.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Please stop feeding the trolls ;-}

usually, i'd agree, but this one is fairly innocuous and rather amusing. please can we let her go a little longer? I promise, i'm not even a forum fan or anything but this was irresistable! OP has a legit problem, which is why i just messaged her an actual answer.the forums are just a circus. but c'mon, just a little more poking?!
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm not a terrible cook at all. In fact I get compliments about my cooking from everyone but him. The only way I can tell he likes something I've made is if a week or two later he asks me to make it. He's always really critical of anything I make....he just says it makes me a better cook in the long run.

So ever since I've been trying to lose weight I'm not as heavy handed with oils and butter, but I still use them frequently. I don't make really low calorie dishes. I typically have about 500-600 calories left for my dinner, and he gets a much bigger serving than I do (around 800-1000 calories).

Ever since I've been working out more and making healthy lunches and semi-healthy dinners he's starting to give me an attitude. He says I might need to lose weight but he doesn't so don't put him on a diet too.

I'm not. I know I'm giving him enough food, because i know what I'm feeding myself...and he gets almost twice as much food.

So he's been requesting i make a bunch of deep fried food and burgers and stuff. Since I didn't he's just deciding that he won't eat anything I cook...even if it's stuff he likes.

This is so frustrating. I already went food shopping for the week and planned out all this weeks meals. So am I just supposed to cook all that food just for myself?

wow your husband sucks. Seriously. Tell him to make his own food if he has a problem with it.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    That would NEVER fly in my house... If he doesn't like it he can cook his own food (and go to the store to buy it). No where did your vows say "I promise to cook whatever you want."

ETA: I will often make a side dish just for him (usually Mac & Cheese) so he gets some junk ... that keeps the balance in my house. But I wouldn't make two different meals entirely.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It's a two way street to please someone when you are married or in a relationship. If my husband doesn't like something that I am making, I would make him something he does like, not force him to down it like he is my child. I don't feel making something for someone I love is a chore, it makes me happy to make them happy. Just like you can be damned sure he is pleasing me in many other ways as well. It takes two seconds of our time to fry up something nice on the side while we do our usual diet stuff.

I will repeat myself in saying that HER husband did things the wrong way by acting like he did. Instead of throwing a tantrum, he could have asked nicely for her to make him something else. But then again, we only have one side of the story.

Oh good, someone I agree with on here.

I can't argue with any of that
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think she's the one being selfish. Stop boo-hoo'ing on a message board and fry that man a burger.

That spoiled man-child can fry his own damn burger. Like a busy housewife doesn't have better things to do with her time than make TWO dinners every night! And what happens when their children get older, and realize they too can get mom to make them whatever they want just by throwing a fit? What a dangerous precedence he's setting!

Wow, requesting a burger is a life or death situation LOL......

I think we can both agree, though, that there is a very distinct difference between "requesting a burger" and boycotting your spouse's cooking because you don't GET that burger. Therein lies the difference between a grown-@ss man and coddled *kitten*.

Exactly! It is not unreasonable for him to request different meals. If OP is refusing to make anything he enjoys, then there is definitely a problem--however, this doesn't seem to be the case and it is his approach to problem solving that is screwed up here.
  • kwagganin
    kwagganin Posts: 34
    Options
    My dad was like that with my mom...until she made him cook for himself. Not cooking for him actually meant she had a lot of free time on her hands. He can't cook at all so after about 2 weeks of it there was never another word about her cooking. My mom is old fashion and southern - there are no options and if we didn't like it we didn't eat.

there are websites that can help with healthier versions of those unhealthy foods. I'm a fan of skinnytaste! You could use those to find healthier ways to make the things that he's asking for.
    . This!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    My friend has to make herself a healthy meal and her family something different. Yes, it's more work but it's worth it to have a happy healthy body and home life. Have them at least try the new food and let them decide if they like it. Then maybe they'll help you eat it next time.
    I often cook seperate stuff, however i don't work and my partner does. He also doesn't refuse stuff he likes just to be an *kitten*
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Please stop feeding the trolls ;-}

usually, i'd agree, but this one is fairly innocuous and rather amusing. please can we let her go a little longer? I promise, i'm not even a forum fan or anything but this was irresistable! OP has a legit problem, which is why i just messaged her an actual answer.the forums are just a circus. but c'mon, just a little more poking?!

I was having fun with this one too. But then a real man comes along and has to give us the "voice of reason". Yes, sir. I will stop poking the trolls...
  • suzieqsmart
    Options
    I am betting the husband is the bread winner. Since he brings home the bacon, atleast cook the man the food he wants. ( and women wonder why men cheat) He's gonna find someone who will cook that steak, burger, etc for him.

For real?? Well, then good on him!! If he's gonna "find someone" who is willing to help him be unhealthy, rather than support the woman who loves him enough to help him stay healthy and fit, then it's his loss.

Now on a serious note: I agree with what most are saying. Let him have a go of it on his own if he doesn't want your cooking. I have made some drastic changes to my family's meal plan and I did get a bit of resistance, at first, but my husband soon realized that it made ME happy to know that I was making my family healthy. So he agreed that, as long as it's not all "juice and rabbit food", he would get on board. I don't prevent him or my daughter from having their snacks and/or treats. But our family meal times are up to me and neither of them has any issue with that.

Keep up the good work!! :)
This discussion has been closed.