My husband is boycotting my cooking...

Options
I'm not a terrible cook at all. In fact I get compliments about my cooking from everyone but him. The only way I can tell he likes something I've made is if a week or two later he asks me to make it. He's always really critical of anything I make....he just says it makes me a better cook in the long run.

So ever since I've been trying to lose weight I'm not as heavy handed with oils and butter, but I still use them frequently. I don't make really low calorie dishes. I typically have about 500-600 calories left for my dinner, and he gets a much bigger serving than I do (around 800-1000 calories).

Ever since I've been working out more and making healthy lunches and semi-healthy dinners he's starting to give me an attitude. He says I might need to lose weight but he doesn't so don't put him on a diet too.

I'm not. I know I'm giving him enough food, because i know what I'm feeding myself...and he gets almost twice as much food.

So he's been requesting i make a bunch of deep fried food and burgers and stuff. Since I didn't he's just deciding that he won't eat anything I cook...even if it's stuff he likes.

This is so frustrating. I already went food shopping for the week and planned out all this weeks meals. So am I just supposed to cook all that food just for myself?

Replies

• bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It sounds like he needs a swift kick in the butt! But seriously he needs to support you and not throw a fit like a teenager. If this is important to you then it should also be important to him and not an opportunity for him to throw a pity party. I mean he can always cook himself if your food is that awful (which I doubt.) Hope that helps!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You could make a 'dressing' on the side for him - olive oil or melted butter & garlic to drizzle over greens & potatoes (Greek yogurt is just like sour cream, he could put those on any potatoes too).

Or you can bake 'crispy' chicken - coat his with batter, something, have yours plain.

Nothing wrong with burgers - 'healthier' ones I like are made of a mix of lean turkey and lean pork (the pork hits the flavour spot); even beef ones are fine - have yours plain, he can put cheese & mayo or whatever he wants on it.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Does he ever cook any meals? It sounds like he is just hurting himself...for my husband I cook our suppers, and if he wants extra food he has things he likes to eat. Another thing I do is make some recipes that freeze well (like soups). Perhaps you can freeze some of this extra food, and you can eat it later.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ignore his behavior- hes being immature.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Just because YOU want to eat a certain way doesn't mean he has too. I don't blame him for wanting to eat GOOD food. Perhaps you should cook 2 seperate meals. Don't impose your new found lifestyle on other people, including your spouse.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    tell your hubby he needs to go back and live with his mommy if he wants to be treated like a child.
    if he wants it he can cook it, you're the spouse, not the maid/chef
    find a man who is supportive of your choices and kick his immature *kitten* to the street
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My dad was like that with my mom...until she made him cook for himself. Not cooking for him actually meant she had a lot of free time on her hands. He can't cook at all so after about 2 weeks of it there was never another word about her cooking. My mom is old fashion and southern - there are no options and if we didn't like it we didn't eat.

there are websites that can help with healthier versions of those unhealthy foods. I'm a fan of skinnytaste! You could use those to find healthier ways to make the things that he's asking for.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Tell him that if he wants something in particular he can make it himself.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    One cook = one meal. He won't eat? That's good for you. You have lunch! Even better, you have supper tomorrow and don't even have to cook!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    So am I just supposed to cook all that food just for myself?

Yes, and he will either eat with you or make his own food. That is up to him, not you- being a wife does not make you a short order cook... You are still making things he enjoys, if he wants something else here and there, fine. But refusing to eat what you cook even when HE LIKES IT? I dont even let me 4 year old do that...
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Just because YOU want to eat a certain way doesn't mean he has too. I don't blame him for wanting to eat GOOD food. Perhaps you should cook 2 seperate meals. Don't impose your new found lifestyle on other people, including your spouse.

Hes an adult. He can cook his own food if he doesn't like what's on the menu. Why the heck should she cook two meals? I'm sure she has other things to do besides coddle a brat who is acting like a two year old instead of a partner in a marriage.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Let him cook for himself for a week or so and he will be glad to eat whatever you make.
  • karentfroese
    karentfroese Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't use the word "DIET" especially around him. Tell him your eating healthy and taking care of yourself and there's nothing wrong with that. And it's not going to hurt him to eat healthy either.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I am betting the husband is the bread winner. Since he brings home the bacon, atleast cook the man the food he wants. ( and women wonder why men cheat) He's gonna find someone who will cook that steak, burger, etc for him.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

She is not a short order cook, if he does not like it then he can cook his own meals. Rule in this house is if you don't like it then either go hungry or make your own.
  • Seachele28
    Seachele28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    He needs to get on board, learn to cook for himself, or compile a folder of take out menus. A healthy, happy, long living wife is more important than his man taste buds.

Luckily my hubby is a very willing and easy going guinea pig because he wants me to succeed in my weigh loss and health goals. He realizes that these changes are benefiting him as well and we discuss the recipes - what could I do to improve it, was it spot on and how did I do it, or does it stink so bad that it goes right to the recycle bin? The thing is, we do it as a team although he never cooks. I will plan out several things that will work as main dishes and that can be repurposed leftovers and then we plan out which of this or that for which day or what things to nix.

I find it disappointing that your hubby isn't being supportive :( Hopefully it changes for you. Keep on your path and focusing on your goals, not his criticisms.

Best of luck : )
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Does he feel like you wanting to get in shape is a threat to your relationship in some way? Maybe reassuring him in some other area of your lives together would help, like doing something with him that he likes.
  • stacezilla
    Options
    Yep.

And either he eats some of it or he learns to cook what he wants for himself.

Win win.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I am betting the husband is the bread winner. Since he brings home the bacon, atleast cook the man the food he wants. ( and women wonder why men cheat) He's gonna find someone who will cook that steak, burger, etc for him.

LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I haven't seen the term "bread winner" in years! How retro!
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Listen, you're there to serve him, so quit being selfish and cook what he wants, no matter how unhealthy or unappetizing it is. And wear a nice dress and heels while you're at it; he should have something pretty to look at while he waits for his dinner.

/sarcasm
This discussion has been closed.