Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Just ignorant! ha

Thrift stores are definately worth checking out. Especially when losing weight. Who wants to spend a ton of money on clothes you won't be in for too long.
  • bgoldstein05
    Options
    "Thrifting" has recently become a hobby that is quite competitive with a few of us working moms that are single income or just working to make that dollar stretch further in our house! I mean c'mon I'd rather have a date night with my husband or a GNO then pay double what I should for something.

You know how many items I've gotten recently that still have the tags on them? Children's clothing is the worst culpret of this. How many things did I personally get as a new mom that my son grew out of before I even got a chance to take the tags off? I got a beautiful barely used Vera Bradley tote bag that retails at $110 for $25. I've also snagged Coach purses there as well at tiny prices.

I love going there for used books for my son. He's 4 and looooves books. WIth hard back books being around the $15 mark, that's just a crime! So when we go "thrifting" I can pick up any size book for him for a quarter. That's amazing!

I set up guidelines when I'm going if I don't have a specific reason to go:

1-Is this something I need (or husband or son needs)
    2-Is this something that I have to alter (I'm 5'9" so yah....5ft of legs)
    3-Is this something that is a good value (in good shape, etc)
    4-Is this brand something that I know and therefore will know how it will perform
    5-How much longer does this item have left it its life? (some things are worn some are spankin new)

Honestly I never went to them until recently other then when I was in college and then it was literally like a time warp. I think that people are being more conscious about what they give away and reusing/recycling their items. I think of "thrifting" as climate-controlled garage sale shopping.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I found a bunch of great underwear a few times. Only like 1 or 2 holes in most of them
  • xtravisfx
    xtravisfx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    2 suits (that fit) - new would cost over $600 - Good will = $36.
    1 cleaning bill that included said two suits and 3 of my ties = $32
    Paying less for all this, than I would for the the price of one new suit coat = Priceless! (Well... $68, but still!)
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't shop secondhand, but I do donate a lot of clothes to charity. I'm a killer bargain shopper though. I have coupons galore in my inbox. The best deal I ever got was a pair of khaki's from Macy's for $4 and a black sweater for $2. But when I 'm losing weight I just don't shop at all. I have clothes that range from size 14 to my coveted size 10. So if I ever (God forbid) go back up to a size 14 I'm covered. Right now I'm back into my size 12 clothes on my way back into my favorite size 10 skinny jeans.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    how come i never heard of goodwill...
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

^^^This is a ridiculous, closed-minded statement. Don't be an ass.  I am not poor either, but I am also not stupid enough to pay the overpriced amounts retailers ask for clothing.  Why should I  when I can spend my money at an organization that also helps people with disabilities.  $4.25 for a pair of Ambercrombie and Fitch jeans that have never been worn?  Yes please.  I call it charitable shopping.

Great minds think alike :)

I often shop at thrift stores. I have even found brand new, brand name (Nike, Adidas, etc) running gear like dri-fit shirts, jackets, and running skirts that I could not afford to buy new, and happily pick up for $2-$10.

1) I've actually had more compliments on the outfits I've purchased at the Goodwill/ARC, without telling people where those clothes came from, than ANYTHING new I've ever worn. You can look like a million bucks without SPENDING a million bucks. I would rather save my money for good running shoes (that IS something I wouldn't buy used).

2) It takes patience and time, as one person mentioned that sizes are not always organized well (especially on weekends when they're super busy and don't have enough help to clean things up).

3) When I initially dropped 40 pounds in 5 months, I did not have the money to buy brand new clothes in each size so I got a couple things very cheap to last through those times. The thrift shops were really helpful so that I didn't have to wear oversized clothes.

4) Just wash your clothes before you wear them; many items of clothing actually RECOMMEND this on the label. This does not just apply to "used" clothes.

5) Goodwill and the ARC support labor forces of disabled, elderly, and other folks who might otherwise have difficulty finding employment. They also use volunteers, so if you're ever looking for an opportunity to volunteer in your community it's a great way to give back.

Happy shopping!
  • Elzecat
    Options
    how come i never heard of goodwill...

Goodwill Industries is the full name. I imagine they have something similar in your area, although it may go by a different name.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Was at Goodwill yesterday -- got 1 shirt for me and 6 shirts for my hubby to be.
    Getting 50% off certain tag colors and military discount, we paid $17.62.

Here's my BEST Goodwill snag.
    My wedding dress for $3.50 -- brand new - still with the original David's Bridal's tags on the dress. And the dress was in my size.
    My wedding shoes for $2.00 -- brand new - still with original packaging materials and tags.

I am not joking..... my wedding day outfit (dress & shoes) cost me $5.50.

Last week, got a brand new fleece coat (still with original tags) for $4.50.

I am a big fan of thrift/second hand stores from any organization.

Wow, you've done even better than me! Nice!
  • Br4ndi
    Br4ndi Posts: 177
    Options
    I have never shopped at a thrift shop, we have a local one but they only take donations one day a week and it's within the hours that I have to work. I take mine to a bin they have at the dump for clothes/shoes. When I did go in there, it was terrible and smelled so bad. I wish we had a Goodwill or something other than the one we have.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Although I do shop at thrift stores, I won't step foot inside Goodwill. The Goodwill stores in my area are disgusting and disorganized. I mainly go to thrift stores to find items for resale, but have nothing against buying used clothes if I needed them.

That is unfortunate. Goodwill stores in Illinois are large, clean, and staffed by friendly people who may or may not have disabilities. Even if I've been discouraged at not finding what I wanted, I've never had a bad experience there in terms of the condition of the store.

It is unfortunate because I have been to Goodwill stores in other states that were not like that.

The 3 Goodwill stores I've been to in my area were actually really clean, although the clothing racks and the toy section (which I frequented when I was a preschool special education teacher) were pretty messy. The one I go to regularly has a couple women who've worked there forever and they are amazingly nice, helpful and FAST.
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE thrift stores! Especially when I can find Cole Haan shoes $250 original for $12 or a Burberry jacket for $5....It's not always about whether you're poor or not. I can certainly afford to buy new clothes and most of my clothes are new but on sale or with coupon codes, with my weightloss, it doesn't make sense to spend senselessy on items that I may not be able to wear for more than 1 season.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Once I run out of saved clothes (yep I have tons that I told myself I would wear again one day) - I will be hitting Goodwill,
    Once I hit my goal weight, I will buy some new just for me stuff as a present to myself :)

Altho, I always feel better when I shop the clearance racks and dont blow a paycheck.
  • staceyw73
    staceyw73 Posts: 49
    Options
    yes I do go there cause I cant see paying high dollor for clothes. just today I went to the dress for success "4th Street Boutique" to give them all my high heels because I cant wear them anymore because of my back and wail I was there I went to what they called the basement bargins and got 2 pairs of dress pants and dress jacket for $5. and I like to go there not just cause it is cheap and have realy nice dress clothes they gave me a suit last year when I finished school and didnt have much money so I had something nice to wear at my job interview. and the money they make at there boutique will help other women out in getting some nice work clothes. So its not all about if your poor or not because the money can go to a good cause and help people have nice clothes when they dont have a job or a low paying job.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Love to shop at thrift stores. Not for everything thou. :smile:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    In our town there are 8 charity shops in the town centre. They all have their own style. One is a bit 'boutiquey' and turns down less expensive brands, while the Cancer Research shop has an excellent system of cycling the clothes from shop to shop so that there's always something new and interesting.

My best buy recently was a ballgown. Now I just need a ball to go to :laugh:

As a student I got a huge wool coat that lasted years for about £5, I think, and I got my undergrad gown for £5 too.

I also buy clothes on eBay and just bought loads of maternity wear from The Maternity Wear Exchange too. I seldom buy new from a high street store as I don't know the working conditions they were made in.
  • Cpsnisi
    Cpsnisi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love thrift shopping. Been a fan of it for decades, and I'm unapologetic. Someone compliments an item, and I'll tell 'em where I got it. Of course I like to save money, but even more I like that I can find really interesting, unique items and create looks that are my own. My daughters love it too. The little one because she loves foofy, frilly party dreses and she knows that if I only paid a few bucks for it, I'll let her wear it any old day she wants instead of saving it for special occasions, and the older one because I've started letting her decide how she spends her portion of the clothing budget and she'd rather have 5 pairs of jeans than 1 pair for the same money. Smart kid.

Some of my best thrift shop finds:

4 stunningly gorgeous, very high quality girls wool dress coats (in different sizes) $8-15 each. No idea how old they are but I've never seen anything like them in stores. When the little one gets all dressed up, she looks like she stepped out of a Di ck ens novel (though I know they aren't THAT old!). And when she outgrows one, the next one is waiting in the closet.

Record album (yes, vinyl) made by a local high school's jazz band back in the 70's. $1.50. Being an alum and a band geek, that was cool enough, but even better, when I took a closer look at the album cover, I recognized my uncle in the band :D

Bright green miniskirt, probably from the late 60's or early 70's, under $5. My office appropriate St Paddy's Day attire! Love that thing!

Seriously, you can't find this kind of stuff at department stores!

Edited because apparently we aren't allowed to type out the last name name of a popular 19th century English author. Hahahaha!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My step father bought all his clothes at Goodwill Industries. Now I don't know that I'd do that. However, he was so grateful to them for clothing him most of his adult life that he left 25% of his fairly sizeable (not huge but not tiny) estate to Goodwill Industries. Good for him!
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    As soon as I saw this thread today, I decided I was going to stop at my favorite thrift store after work. As I was pulling into the parking lot, the thrift store song came on the radio. Of course I didn't listen to it. I didn't want to risk missing out on something. :)
  • shelbystatic
    shelbystatic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love thrift shops!! I go get all my workout clothes there because I'm really not going to pay $20 for something I'm only going to go to the gym in and I don't plan on being my size forever. It's a good thing to do to shop at thrift stores it's recycling! You can really look cute without anyone knowing all your clothes are second hand. There's one in my town that every once in a while has a sack sale. (Everything you can fit in a bag for $3)

Some of my best finds include:
    A London Fog coat in like new condition
    A pair of Lucky's that fit perfect!
    A Louis Vuitton handbag
    Calvin Klein's jeans that fit my bf perfect!
    Brand New plaid South Pole High tops!
    Ton's of super cute sweaters and T-shirts
    A Polaroid camera :)
    A few little black dresses
    Nice fashion belts with tags still attached.
    Matching Converse dresses new with tags for me and my bestie!
    Oh man now I wanna go thrifting! I love to find a treasure that someone else didn't want! :)