Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    As I was running down trough different sizes when I was losing weight Goodwill was a saving grace. It was nice to wear cloths that fit but not have to drop the money necessary for a full highend wardrobe every few weeks but still wearing quality clothing..
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    *hypocritcal p.s.
    Underwear and panties
    No, just no if you can avoid it. I bet even Mama Earth would agree. :flowerforyou:

Yes, please do not buy the thift store panties. They are my best seller on eBay! :tongue:

Ahaha that made me snort, I think that's the best comment so far. Just the other day, I was REALLY bored and browsing the "strictly platonic" Craigslist page, and someone wanted to buy used undies from ladies! I was a bit scandalized just reading it lol!

Next time you are bored, check eBays mature audience listings.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would buy books and stuff, but never clothes and none of my friends would either :noway: :noway:

Yes, you've made your point now dear, run along to another thread :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I hit the party and they stop in that mother****er
    They be like, "Oh, that Gucci - that's hella tight."
    I'm like, "Yo - that's fifty dollars for a T-shirt."
    Limited edition, let's do some simple addition
    Fifty dollars for a T-shirt - that's just some ignorant *****
    I call that getting swindled and pimped
    I call that getting tricked by a business
    That shirt's hella dough
    And having the same one as six other people in this club is a hella don't

my local hip hop artist, FTW!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I was horrified when my favorite (and only!) pair of jeans split open while I was on a ladder at my job. I was wearing my one and only pair of red undies, too. I stuck it out through the rest of my shift, but now my nickname is "Red".

However, my spirits were immediately brightened when, upon walking into Goodwill later that afternoon, I discovered a whole RACK of plus-size pants! I guess I haven't been to a Goodwill in about a year, and the last time I went the plus size section was tiny, and looked like all the women who had been young in the 80s were finally cleaning out their closets.

But then, as I tried on a few 22/24 pants, I discovered that they were all already stretched out to their maximum capacity-- so they were huge on me! I was trying on size 20 jeans, for the first time since high school. Pretty crazy.

And the best part was at the register. Here's what I bought for FORTY BUCKS!

--Two pairs of jeans
    --One pair of denim board shorts
    --One blouse (for work)
    --Three dresses
    --A pair of shoes.

Thrift stores are the bomb. (Except the Salvation Army, cuz apparently they really don't like gay people. But I'm not trying to open that can of worms!)

TL;DR What is YOUR best thrift store snag? Do you shop at thrift stores regularly? I signed up for the Goodwill purple savings card, and was told that they will soon be implementing a points system, earning points per dollar spent. I'm psyched, since I anticipate having to change sizes several more times this year!

I worked at Salvation Army for a year. They have nothing against gays.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would buy books and stuff, but never clothes and none of my friends would either :noway: :noway:

Yes, you've made your point now dear, run along to another thread :)

Nope :) I enjoy reading others comments and for me to leave is like God leaving heaven lol not happening
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I shope there all the time even though I don't really need to. But you woul be really surprised by how much brand new, brand name clothing you find at a thrift store. its about recycling and reusing
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Oh lord, shut your mouth please.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I was horrified when my favorite (and only!) pair of jeans split open while I was on a ladder at my job. I was wearing my one and only pair of red undies, too. I stuck it out through the rest of my shift, but now my nickname is "Red".

However, my spirits were immediately brightened when, upon walking into Goodwill later that afternoon, I discovered a whole RACK of plus-size pants! I guess I haven't been to a Goodwill in about a year, and the last time I went the plus size section was tiny, and looked like all the women who had been young in the 80s were finally cleaning out their closets.

But then, as I tried on a few 22/24 pants, I discovered that they were all already stretched out to their maximum capacity-- so they were huge on me! I was trying on size 20 jeans, for the first time since high school. Pretty crazy.

And the best part was at the register. Here's what I bought for FORTY BUCKS!

--Two pairs of jeans
    --One pair of denim board shorts
    --One blouse (for work)
    --Three dresses
    --A pair of shoes.

Thrift stores are the bomb. (Except the Salvation Army, cuz apparently they really don't like gay people. But I'm not trying to open that can of worms!)

TL;DR What is YOUR best thrift store snag? Do you shop at thrift stores regularly? I signed up for the Goodwill purple savings card, and was told that they will soon be implementing a points system, earning points per dollar spent. I'm psyched, since I anticipate having to change sizes several more times this year!

I worked at Salvation Army for a year. They have nothing against gays. They are a great organization :)

My favorite finds are jeans for my boys. My boys blow the knees out of jeans like it is going out of style. I can't keep up with two boys and growth spurts, so I love getting good deals on jeans!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the smell of Goodwill. It makes me sick and I have NEVER found anything decent in any goodwill store locally.

On the other hand, there is a vintage shop in Indy that I love. I recently bought a 70's lace nightgown there for $12. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • unicornlady77
    Options
    "I'm gonna pop some tags, I got $20 in my pocket..."
    love that song,lol, "is that your grandmas coat?" lol
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Thrift stores are great. I have lots of hardly used things from local thrift stores. Probably the best thing I have ever thrifted is a moss green suede Eddie Bauer jacket with no signs of wear, soft as butter, for $19.99.

I have better luck at Value Village than Goodwill, but hey, thrift stores are terrific.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Thrifting is one of my hobbies! I love checking out the smaller, individual thrift stores but my favorite chain is Arc's Value Village here in Minnesota. Bought a pair of $300 boots for a mere $8! Brand new! I was giddy when I found out how much they were worth. =)

Honestly, it's also great when you're losing weight too. Not paying full price for clothing that you'll eventually grow out of? Bonus.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I bought my favorite pair of jeans at a consignment store. $20 for Paige jeans, which I didn't even know were a thing until I looked them up and discovered they are normally close to $200. Score!

Also, just want to mention to those of you afraid of where this used clothing has been... your brand new stuff is usually shipped from overseas and treated with pesticides to keep the buggies out. Whatever, I buy new, I buy used, I buy what fits and looks good... but I always wash before wearing.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

I worked at Salvation Army for a year. They have nothing against gays.

When accused of discrimination in hiring, they said that they don't discriminate in the majority of their jobs.

They refuse to offer same sex partner benefits. They threatened to leave NYC when an ordinance was passed requiring benefits. Bloomberg just chose not to prosecute them.

They actively oppose marriage equality.
  • lschrom
    lschrom Posts: 4
    Options
    I love Goodwill!! I am very selective on what I buy. My last round I picked up 5 bags of clothes for me and my boys, the purchase included Ann Taylor Loft blouses and brand new Levi brand jeans for the boys!!! My best find was a couple of years back. I picked up a wool dress coat which retails for $300, I only paid $10. No one knows the difference and I get complements on it all the time.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I promise my household income is higher than yours, but its just stupid to pay full price for everything. I have money and I would like to keep it so I find ways to do that. Why would I buy brand new items for my toddler when he will out grow them in 6months. He might wear that shirt twice. Why pay $30 for something I can get at a consignment shop or Goodwill for $5.

My hubs is an exec so to an extent he has to dress like one, so I am not saying there is never a time to buy retail. I am not client facing so why would I pay $150 for a pair of jeans? My favorite jeans cost me $7.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I adore thrift stores and nearly every single item I have (except underwear,ew) is second hand!We have two huge Amvet thrift stores here in San Diego and I find new stuff all the time. My Mom always gets stuff for my kids that are almost brand new from the thrift store...it makes no sense to spend retail to me. Unless, it's for like a special occasion!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :heart: thrift stores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhhhh and I am NOT poor either!! I rather YOU pay the higher price and I pay a whole lot cheaper price!! Ha!!! :tongue:
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I promise my household income is higher than yours, but its just stupid to pay full price for everything. I have money and I would like to keep it so I find ways to do that. Why would I buy brand new items for my toddler when he will out grow them in 6months. He might wear that shirt twice. Why pay $30 for something I can get at a consignment shop or Goodwill for $5.

My hubs is an exec so to an extent he has to dress like one, so I am not saying there is never a time to buy retail. I am not client facing so why would I pay $150 for a pair of jeans? My favorite jeans cost me $7.

I think I might love you! That is my exact philosophy although we are blue collared folk up in here. But still... :-)