Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.
    We're not rich but we're comfortable. We got that way by not spending more than necessary.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Although I do shop at thrift stores, I won't step foot inside Goodwill. The Goodwill stores in my area are disgusting and disorganized. I mainly go to thrift stores to find items for resale, but have nothing against buying used clothes if I needed them.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I love thrift stores. We both donate and shop. Plus one year I was going as Velma from Scooby Doo for Halloween and finally found a bulky orange turtleneck at Goodwill. No small feat that.

BUT...that's not what this thread is about to become. So I'm just getting this on my topics to watch the class warfare.

Honestly, I wasn't intending to post this as a "debate" topic, but I forgot that it's a hot-button issue in this community. Obviously there are some clothing items that should always be bought new, such as underthings, socks, swimsuits, and maybe workout clothes. But even if I had more money than I currently do, I would still choose to shop thrift stores. Especially now, during this transitional period in my wardrobe!

Also, that's awesome about the Velma costume, thrift stores come in handy around holidays!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My best snag is an adorable purse that perfectly matches a pair of shoes I'd already purchased. It was just...magic. It was like 2 bucks and looks like it had never been used.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    a bought a pair of scuba goggles for $2. They are perfect to wear when cutting onions, so I don't cry.
    we have 3 growing boys who always need bigger clothes- the Thrift Store is handy. it's close and keeps me from throwing out lots of money on jeans that will be too short for them in 2 months.

Swimming goggles for onions?? I will totally be stealing this idea! I never thought of that before, thanks for sharing :)
    <<---
    not the little swimming ones- scuba goggles. with that super suction going around your upper face...LOL.
    I cut the nose-covering off so I could breath.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    In NYC we call it "Vintage". Then you can charge more...

Very true.
    My wife refuses to go into thrift stores, but she will look at vintage clothing.

Its all in the marketing.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I like the store Savers. If you donate they give you a 10 or 20% off coupon.

www.savers.com

Shoes really shouldn't be bought if they've been worn by someone else as it's bad for your feet. The shoes will have been shaped by the other persons feet.

Casually glances down at my comfy thrift store shoes I have on. :ohwell:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm not poor either but I don't like spending my money on over priced clothing. I always find great jeans and jackets at the thrift stores. My best find ever? A Calvin Klein, wool coat for $12. I also found my beautiful, comfy couch at Habitat for Humanity for $5.

So let's see, spend $80 on a pair of Express jeans at Express or $10 on Express jeans at the thrift store. hmmmm.....
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

^^^This is a ridiculous, closed-minded statement. Don't be an ass.  I am not poor either, but I am also not stupid enough to pay the overpriced amounts retailers ask for clothing.  Why should I  when I can spend my money at an organization that also helps people with disabilities.  $4.25 for a pair of Ambercrombie and Fitch jeans that have never been worn?  Yes please.  I call it charitable shopping.

I think dude is trying to get a rise out of people. If he is that shallow and ignorant, then we should feel sorry for him. That being said, I am poor. At least when it comes to spending money on myself. I have an infant and those lil' buggers aren't cheap! I love thrift shopping when I have the time. If I can find a pair of silvers on the rack it is indeed a good day:) I'm also a big fan of the vintage racks.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I hate thrift shopping. I never find anything I like and also it smells funny. I rather buy new.

Certain things do smell funny. I think it depends on the store. There's one thrift shop I won't even go to because the clothes I got from there smelled so weirdly strong.
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ever since this kid I knew in HS got a rash from a jacket that he should have had dry cleaned, I've been a bit leary about shopping at thrift stores... But I will still go in sometimes. If I'm feeling brave. :)
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the thrift stores. I'm not poor but I am frugal as a mofo.

QFT. Not poor BECAUSE I am frugal.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Although I do shop at thrift stores, I won't step foot inside Goodwill. The Goodwill stores in my area are disgusting and disorganized. I mainly go to thrift stores to find items for resale, but have nothing against buying used clothes if I needed them.

That is unfortunate. Goodwill stores in Illinois are large, clean, and staffed by friendly people who may or may not have disabilities. Even if I've been discouraged at not finding what I wanted, I've never had a bad experience there in terms of the condition of the store.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    Goodwill AKA "GW Fashions"
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I hear yah *high 5* LOL! My jeans alone cost £45 which is like $70

I'm with you if you make money it must be for burning. I drive a car with the worst mileage possible too. I am not at my house but I have the sinks running full blast and all the lights are on just so I can run up my utilities. *high 5* There is simply no way I am going to by some cloths that I like for a lower price.

LMFAO! Nice :laugh:
  • Ramberta
    Options
    a bought a pair of scuba goggles for $2. They are perfect to wear when cutting onions, so I don't cry.
    we have 3 growing boys who always need bigger clothes- the Thrift Store is handy. it's close and keeps me from throwing out lots of money on jeans that will be too short for them in 2 months.

Swimming goggles for onions?? I will totally be stealing this idea! I never thought of that before, thanks for sharing :)
    <<---
    not the little swimming ones- scuba goggles. with that super suction going around your upper face...LOL.
    I cut the nose-covering off so I could breath.

Haha, awesome!! I will remember this, thanks! :)
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Almost everything I have on right now is from a thrift shop. I'm not poor. I'm a corporate acountant.

I like unique clothing and I hate shopping malls only to end up wearing the exact same sweatshop clothing as every other girl.
    Almost all of my pants are designer brands so I get to tell my workmates I have on Express or Banana or whatever and they think, "oooooo!!!! you look great!"

Hahahaha Suckas!

I'm 30. The current fashion is just way too out there for me. The materials are cheap and ugly. Even Target is selling complete **** right now.

To the OP: I have had some awesome finds but the first that comes to mind is my current winter coat, which is a wool peacoat from JCrew I paid $10 for.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    We have a high end thrift store here called Buffalo Exchange. I always find amazing things there. Sadly, they have all been for my daughter so I cannot wait to get down in size so I can find my own "vintage" treasures. I did find some sweet lightly used Converse Chuck Taylors with a pattern I had never seen on them for $9.00. So I was able to go for a manicure after because I'm not poor either (since a douche must advertise their financial state when it has nothing to do with it)
  • Igotdisbish
    Options
    BECAUSE OF GOODWILL, COUPONS, AND SECOND HAND STORES I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BUILD UP A NEST EGG AND LIVE WITHIN MY MEANS. IT'S AMAZING TO NOT LIVE PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK AND HAVE FINANCIAL SECURITY. WHY PAY RETAIL WHEN THE SAME THING IS AVAILABLE CHEAPER ONLINE, WITH A COUPON OR SECONDHAND. I'M NOT POOR, I DRESS WELL AND I INVEST/PAY RETAIL ONLY ON HIGH PRIORITY ITEMS LIKE CARS, ELECTRONICS AND HOUSEHOLD NEEDS. I FELT STRANGE SPENDING 10 DOLLARS FOR A BOTTLE OF TIDE BUT I KNOW THE VALUE SO I GET IT. DO I NEED TO HAVE A BRAND NEW LV PURSE? NOPE, I CAN GET A GENTLY LOVED MARC JACOBS AND STILL TURN HEADS. IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING THE BEST FINANCIAL CHOICE FOR ME :)

WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS.... DON'T INSULT PEOPLE WHO SHOP SECONDHAND. THEY ARE BUYING INTO THEIR COMMUNITIES, DONATING FOR GREATER SOCIAL WEALTH AND RECYCLING AT THE SAME TIME.

FUN FACT: IT TAKES 700 GALLONS OF WATER TO MAKE ONE SINGLE SHIRT. THINK ABOUT THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU DROP A FEW BUCKS AT H&M, DEPARTMENT STORES OR BOUTIQUES. BY SHOPPING SECONDHAND AND THRIFT WE CAN CUT DOWN ON CLOTHING PRODUCTION DEMAND AND REDUCE WASTE.

GOODWILL: IT'S BIGGER THAN YOU THINK :)

STOP YELLING AT ME!!!
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5euiH6OImV1yJcWXBZ2mhapjKWBjv2_NIZzWvSLx9bACwSNXi2w