Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Let's see....
    12-month emergency fund completely funded: Check.
    Credit cards paid off: Check.
    Cars paid off: Check.
    Monthly mortgage less than cost of renting: Check.
    Has more than enough disposable income to shop at Nordys: Check.

Shops at thrift stores 80-90% of the time: CHECK!

Our friends ask us all the time when we whip out a coupon at a restaurant, shop at thrift stores, buy 2nd hand or used goods, "why do you guys do that? You can afford to buy it new / pay full price!" The REASON we CAN AFFORD to do it is just that! We are very thrifty and we enjoy watching our retirement accounts grow, taking nice vacations, and knowing we have the money to do what we want to do when we want to do it.

Thrift Stores ROCK!! :bigsmile:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I promise my household income is higher than yours, but its just stupid to pay full price for everything. I have money and I would like to keep it so I find ways to do that. Why would I buy brand new items for my toddler when he will out grow them in 6months. He might wear that shirt twice. Why pay $30 for something I can get at a consignment shop or Goodwill for $5.

My hubs is an exec so to an extent he has to dress like one, so I am not saying there is never a time to buy retail. I am not client facing so why would I pay $150 for a pair of jeans? My favorite jeans cost me $7.

This is how I feel. When I was hired at my current employer that has a business dress policy, meaning I had to wear either suits or pants with jackets, the first place I went to was thrift stores. Now that I can afford to pay retail, but why should I, especially now with me shrinking out my clothes. When I reach goal and go on a massive shopping spree, I'll still be looking for sales and still hitting the thrift stores.
  • ericmessier
    ericmessier Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This thread is a goldmine. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    yes! I havent been a while but I'd always buy mens jeans that have a long zipper on them and cut them & fray them up to make cute mini skirts...cant beat 2 or 3 bucks!

Pics or it didn't happen
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    <--- Wonders how much thrift store sales have increased since the EPIC Thriftshop song.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    This thread is a goldmine. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Surely it's filled with too many poor people for a gold mine. Perhaps you should say salt mine instead?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I love shopping thrift stores, garage sales, and the like. Why pay so much when you can get gently used for much less.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Our friends ask us all the time when we whip out a coupon at a restaurant, shop at thrift stores, buy 2nd hand or used goods, "why do you guys do that? You can afford to buy it new / pay full price!" The REASON we CAN AFFORD to do it is just that! We are very thrifty and we enjoy watching our retirement accounts grow, taking nice vacations, and knowing we have the money to do what we want to do when we want to do it.

THIS.

House will be paid off before age 45. CHECK :smile:
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Doresoontobehealthy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    amen!
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love thrift stores and consignment shops. We have a plethora in the area. Haven't bought anything new in over a year unless you count a bathing suit and undies,socks, shoes. One in store in particular here is awesome with major designers, Dior, St. John's, etc. Most of the high end stuff is even tagged, never worn.
  • LouisianaHott
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.

I am the same way.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I pop tags all the time. Just yesterday I scored 3 skirts for myself and a dress for my daughter all for $9. I donate to them as well. I kinda wish they'd have a trade/swap program. I like sifting through the cds and other trinkets too.
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    One of our thrift stores get's all of Targets "unsold" merchandise. Not sure why but.... you can usually buy tons of brand new clothing.
  • RogueNanna
    RogueNanna Posts: 23 Member
    Options

WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS.... DON'T INSULT PEOPLE WHO SHOP SECONDHAND. THEY ARE BUYING INTO THEIR COMMUNITIES, DONATING FOR GREATER SOCIAL WEALTH AND RECYCLING AT THE SAME TIME.

FUN FACT: IT TAKES 700 GALLONS OF WATER TO MAKE ONE SINGLE SHIRT. THINK ABOUT THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU DROP A FEW BUCKS AT H&M, DEPARTMENT STORES OR BOUTIQUES. BY SHOPPING SECONDHAND AND THRIFT WE CAN CUT DOWN ON CLOTHING PRODUCTION DEMAND AND REDUCE WASTE.

GOODWILL: IT'S BIGGER THAN YOU THINK :)

Great post!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

THIS.

House will be paid off before age 45. CHECK :smile:

I worked at the Arizona Biltmore for years, which is a very high end fitness club and resort. The funny thing was, you could always tell new money from old money. New money drove in with a fancy car and all kinds of top of the line clothes. Old money drove their Toyota Camery and wore average stuff. I had a fellow tell me once, the reason their family has been "rich" for so long is they don't waste money.

I'll stick to buying discount when I can.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thrift shopped during my weight loss. I discovered another store that sells brand new upscale clothes for pretty cheap, so I've been doing that since I"m pretty much the same size now... but man it was cheap doing it that way. Definitely frugal.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I agree that you don't have to be poor to sho at a thrift store. My family has bought nerous items with store tags still on them. We have also boght kids' toys, furniture, and other items. Then you still have money left over for other things.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I am poor now that I have filed chapter 13 bankruptcy and my husband lost his job, yadda yadda so on and so forth - anyway, I didn't snag a good deal at at thrift store but on Craigslist I found a lady who must be working at Lane Bryant OR was filthy rich because she had over 100 pieces of Lane Bryant clothes for sale $3 per item, including jeans - most of them with the tags still on them. I spent $60 for 20 items.

I am now trying to score some new tennis shoes on craigslist, because my workout shoes are old now.

I have managed to skimp so much that we don't have to forego a vacation this year. Bargain shopping is a great challenge. Not for the faint of heart.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Found a $60 Ann Taylor shirt for $2 at Goodwill. It still had the tags on it. LOVE thrift stores! There's one near my parents house that all the wealthy people in the neighborhood donate too. My husband got a jacket that was worth about $200 for $8.

If you feel weird wearing other people's clothes, just wash them. The only thing I don't buy from thrift shops are underwear, shoes, and swimsuits.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    What is YOUR best thrift store snag? Do you shop at thrift stores regularly?

A pair of $70 jeans, new, with tag for $1... and that's just clothing. I regularly get CDs, books, DVDs and I love looking at so much more. 17-cent books are cheaper than library fines (well, mine!)

I never used to shop at thrift stores and not because I see anything wrong with them I just didn't. I bought clearance and discounted clothes because I don't like to spend money where I don't have to. Now, I know where three Goodwill stores are, three SVdP, 12 Salvation Army stores, and three more random thrift stores. I happily shop for clothes as I fit into smaller sizes. I don't do hats, undergarments/swimsuits, socks, shoes or anything that cannot be thoroughly cleaned.

Also, if your thrift store sucks, TELL THEM. I have personally seen my complaints addressed across all (local) stores at Salvation Army, not just the particular one I wrote about and was having a problem with.