Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• ericmessier
    ericmessier Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Way to be an off-topic *kitten*. Right on, rich bro!
    You seem mad. :laugh:
  • millions0fpeaches
    millions0fpeaches Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.
    I'm not poor and I'm a thift shopper. I just would rather spend my money on six bottles of wine than one pair of overpriced jeans. :drinker:
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE OF GOODWILL, COUPONS, AND SECOND HAND STORES I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BUILD UP A NEST EGG AND LIVE WITHIN MY MEANS. IT'S AMAZING TO NOT LIVE PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK AND HAVE FINANCIAL SECURITY. WHY PAY RETAIL WHEN THE SAME THING IS AVAILABLE CHEAPER ONLINE, WITH A COUPON OR SECONDHAND. I'M NOT POOR, I DRESS WELL AND I INVEST/PAY RETAIL ONLY ON HIGH PRIORITY ITEMS LIKE CARS, ELECTRONICS AND HOUSEHOLD NEEDS. I FELT STRANGE SPENDING 10 DOLLARS FOR A BOTTLE OF TIDE BUT I KNOW THE VALUE SO I GET IT. DO I NEED TO HAVE A BRAND NEW LV PURSE? NOPE, I CAN GET A GENTLY LOVED MARC JACOBS AND STILL TURN HEADS. IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING THE BEST FINANCIAL CHOICE FOR ME :)

WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS.... DON'T INSULT PEOPLE WHO SHOP SECONDHAND. THEY ARE BUYING INTO THEIR COMMUNITIES, DONATING FOR GREATER SOCIAL WEALTH AND RECYCLING AT THE SAME TIME.

FUN FACT: IT TAKES 700 GALLONS OF WATER TO MAKE ONE SINGLE SHIRT. THINK ABOUT THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU DROP A FEW BUCKS AT H&M, DEPARTMENT STORES OR BOUTIQUES. BY SHOPPING SECONDHAND AND THRIFT WE CAN CUT DOWN ON CLOTHING PRODUCTION DEMAND AND REDUCE WASTE.

GOODWILL: IT'S BIGGER THAN YOU THINK :)
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    "Probably shoulda washed this, smells like R. Kelly's sheets (Piiisssssss) But ****, it was ninety-nine cents!"

LOL!!

I actually found a whole new love for thrift shops.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE NEW CLOTHES HAVE BEEN EITHER. eVER HEARD OF PEOPLE WEARING THE CLOTHES AND BRINGING THEM BACK TO THE STORE? IT HAPPENS MORE OFTEN THEN NOT. THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULD WASH YOUR CLOTHES BEFORE YOU WEAR THEM.

180206d1211953680-why-you-yelling-15may27-caps-lock.jpg
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Love my thrift shops... it is so much 'greener' to shop that way. Jeans are a tough find....lots of trying on....but it works! The best find at a thrift shop for me was a Coach Black Leather Car Coat -- smooth and soft like buttah! $100 bucks....and had a $20bill in the pocket! Score! I tend to shop in hospice/thrift shops in upper scale neighborhoods....but I love the Goodwill I get a 'senior discount' everyday! wheeeee!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I frequently donate to thrift shops, but have a hard time shopping them. For whatever reason, the idea of my clothing having been worn and sweated in, etc by someone else just disturbs me. My first thought when I do happen to be in a thrift store looking for something is, "I wonder if anyone died wearing this?" Weird, I know...but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Also, I really don't own that many clothes...about 5 pair of work trousers, a couple pair of jeans, a few pair of shorts, about 10 tee shirts, 6 button down work shirts, and a handful of odds and ends. 3 pairs of shoes..trainers, dress shoes for work, and my flip flops. I'm a pretty simple guy...if I shopped more and had more clothes, I might have to get over my thrift store phobia.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.
    I'm not poor and I'm a thift shopper. I just would rather spend my money on six bottles of wine than one pair of overpriced jeans. :drinker:

Hahaha! I like your thinking!
  • FunnyGirl613
    FunnyGirl613 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In NYC we call it "Vintage". Then you can charge more...
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BRAND NEW CLOTHES, I Love brands aswell. I would never ever wear second hand clothes though. I mean if you aint got much money then go for it, but i just cant do that to myself . However im lucky to have a mother to supply my GREEDY, IGNORANT NATURE. However I donate money each month to charity :drinker:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    We always donate clothes and other stuff to charity shops.

However, I cannot bring myself to wear clothes that have been worn by someone else.

Shoes really shouldn't be bought if they've been worn by someone else as it's bad for your feet. The shoes will have been shaped by the other persons feet.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've had to buy an entirely new wardrobe 4 times in the last 2 years. With my job I have to wear appropriate business attire every day and it can get really expensive! I shop at thrift stores often - the best finds were suits! Pants, skirt, and jacket for less than $40. Take them for tailoring and I've still spent less than what I would have on a brand new suit. Once they're too big to fit and they can't be taken in anymore I donate them.

I'm also in grad school and that tuition ain't gonna pay itself! I'd rather thrift shop then drown in student loan debt later.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Should invest some of your money in learning how to not be an A.S.S......
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5euiH6OImV1yJcWXBZ2mhapjKWBjv2_NIZzWvSLx9bACwSNXi2w
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you don't have to be poor to shop there. I love thrift stores! you can find some GREAT deals and things that still have the tags on them! It's like a giant garage sale, you never know what you are going to find (love garage sales)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    a bought a pair of scuba goggles for $2. They are perfect to wear when cutting onions, so I don't cry.
    we have 3 growing boys who always need bigger clothes- the Thrift Store is handy. it's close and keeps me from throwing out lots of money on jeans that will be too short for them in 2 months.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I refuse to buy new clothes every time I go down another size. Here in Canada we have had one of our big box stores going out of business with all their stock going for crazy prices. My friend spent about 250$ and bought something like 4 suits from Jones New York. I picked up a few designer items and a new dress which was originally $198 for about 40$. Being frugal does not mean you are poor. It just means you have better things to do with your money than pay full price for anything. You don't stay rich by spending money that you don't need to spend - Personally I would rather continue to spend my money on fun things..Like going to Europe.

Though when I reach my goal I am planning a lovely shopping spree in Montreal's fashion district. My boyfriend has already volunteered to foot that bill LOL
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are the bomb. (Except the Salvation Army, cuz apparently they really don't like gay people. But I'm not trying to open that can of worms!)

TL;DR What is YOUR best thrift store snag? Do you shop at thrift stores regularly? I signed up for the Goodwill purple savings card, and was told that they will soon be implementing a points system, earning points per dollar spent. I'm psyched, since I anticipate having to change sizes several more times this year!

I shop at thrift stores and don't need to by any stretch of the imagination. It takes me hours to find a single pair of pants that fit, because I'm so tall. And there's not a lot of my size that are longs. My thing is, there's entirely too much stuff out there in the world already...

I have closets full of thrift store finds, my favorite is probably the Italian rhinestone studded jeans I did find at Savers. I have all kinds of designer stuff that I found either there, or Goodwill, including a pair of cashmere Brooks Brothers slacks. But the greatest find? A vintage Scottish wool coat from 1942. :D And I'm nearly impossible to fit coats on with my uberlong arms.

It takes time, dedication, and careful attention to find what you need/want at thrift stores. One thing I can't buy there is workout gear... I just can't. So that comes new. I even do the vast majority of gift shopping at thrift stores, and the results are amazing and beloved.

Meh, it makes me feel better to be a consumer of gently used things rather than lining the big corps pockets.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BRAND NEW CLOTHES, I Love brands aswell. I would never ever where second hand clothes though. I mean if you aint got much money then go for it, but i just cant do that to myself . However im lucky to have a mother to supply my GREEDY IGNORANT NATURE. However I donate money each month to charity :drinker:

Bahahaha. Okay I can't object to that logic. Donating reduces waste too! :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    <--- totally shops at thrift stores. I could care less if someone has worn it before, I'll wash it.

"that's a cold *kitten* honky"