Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I love thrift stores. We both donate and shop. Plus one year I was going as Velma from Scooby Doo for Halloween and finally found a bulky orange turtleneck at Goodwill. No small feat that.

BUT...that's not what this thread is about to become. So I'm just getting this on my topics to watch the class warfare.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.
    I'm not poor and I'm a thift shopper. I just would rather spend my money on six bottles of wine than one pair of overpriced jeans. :drinker:

Yup
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I love thrift store shopping! Why would I ever pay $40 for a pair of pants when I can pay $4? Something like 80% of clothing ends up in a landfill. Resource conservation and environmental impact are important to me.

It is a bit hit or miss, sometimes I find great stuff and sometimes not so much. The tremendous savings allows me greater leeway in my food budget...where it's worth it to me to spend the money.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the thrift stores. I'm not poor but I am frugal as a mofo.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE that song. Now its stuck in my head. :angry:

tumblr_miomjwgyT21rmlovto1_500.gif
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.
    I'm not poor and I'm a thift shopper. I just would rather spend my money on six bottles of wine than one pair of overpriced jeans. :drinker:

Amen!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    a bought a pair of scuba goggles for $2. They are perfect to wear when cutting onions, so I don't cry.
    we have 3 growing boys who always need bigger clothes- the Thrift Store is handy. it's close and keeps me from throwing out lots of money on jeans that will be too short for them in 2 months.

Swimming goggles for onions?? I will totally be stealing this idea! I never thought of that before, thanks for sharing :)
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

GOODWILL: IT'S BIGGER THAN YOU THINK :)

So is your TEXT
  • rainbowlove03
    Options
    All these Tags lyrics are awesome XD You guys rock!

Anyways, I'm only 18 and most people my age only focus on brand name and looking good and they're usually snobby about clothes. I used to be the same way only because I'm a really big germaphobe and the thought of wearing clothes that I don't know where they've been freaked me out.

I've gotten a little better about it and through growing up and actually realizing my family's financial level is, I'm not afraid to thrift shop!

I don't really buy clothes that often since I've been the same size for the past four years so everything I have still fits, but when I do, I often hit up Goodwill and sometimes even Walmart. You can still look cute on a budget.

We're not poor, but we don't have money to buy a $50 pair of jeans or $30 shirts every other month, either. Not with me and my two siblings :p Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

^^^This is a ridiculous, closed-minded statement. Don't be an ass.  I am not poor either, but I am also not stupid enough to pay the overpriced amounts retailers ask for clothing.  Why should I  when I can spend my money at an organization that also helps people with disabilities.  $4.25 for a pair of Ambercrombie and Fitch jeans that have never been worn?  Yes please.  I call it charitable shopping.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I love thrift stores! But I have terrible luck at them. I think it might be because my town is full of student hipsters and the thrift stores are all really well picked over. :( I did find a brand new pair of DM boots at a consignment shop for £40. They're a bit too big (I think they're men's), but I just wear 3 pairs of socks and it's not a problem! I also found a really worn, long leather coat in the same shop for like, £15. The pocket was full of old, communist era Zlotys. Haha! :)
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Way to be an off-topic *kitten*. Right on, rich bro!

Whoever you are, awesome first post. Welcome to MFP. :drinker:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I hate thrift shopping. I never find anything I like and also it smells funny. I rather buy new.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I just bought a pair of nice bootcut levi's for $1.75 so yeah I'm pleased!!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I hear yah *high 5* LOL! My jeans alone cost £45 which is like $70

I'm with you if you make money it must be for burning. I drive a car with the worst mileage possible too. I am not at my house but I have the sinks running full blast and all the lights are on just so I can run up my utilities. *high 5* There is simply no way I am going to by some cloths that I like for a lower price.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm like, "that's fifty dollars for a teeshirt..."
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.

Yeah your right.....Who would want to wear the clothes of some pretentious snob.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.
    I have worked retail for years, back even when there actually was customer service and I gotta say ever consider everyone that tried on the outfit before you bought, boy do I have true tales for you!
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's called washing them first...plus 9 outta 10 chances whatever you just bought brand new was tried on by someone, who could have easily not showered that day. Oh and my cousin frequently buys stuff brand new wears it with the tags hidden an returns it....

Some good wills in my area are better about organizing size than others.

Just yesterday I decided to browse through a GW and I grabbed an brand new NorthFace jacket for $6 and a Michael Korrs shirt for $3. I'd much rather save some money on clothes and say put the money toward my kids eduacation.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Love thrift stores. They are in my regular rotation of shopping options. I love "second time around" where you can even score some designer or higher end stuff on the cheap. You never know what you're going to find. And they are excellent from a sustainability/waste less perspective. Sounds like you had some great finds! Well done! And way to reuse instead of waste!