Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    Savers = :love:

I have an 11 year old boy that seems to grow out, then up...then out, then up...then out, then up...I can't hardly even keep up with some of his growth spurts...not to mention the fact that he's a BOY and DESTROYS every piece of clothing that I seem to buy for him. And don't even get me started on the summer time camp season. He goes to summer camp at the Y and does things to clothes that I have never seen before.

I'm not poor, I just choose to be cautious with how I spend my hard earned money.
  • DefluffinMyStuffin
    DefluffinMyStuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm always perplexed when people wrinkle their nose at wearing clothing that someone else's rear-end has inhabited yet will go in a restaraunt and drink and eat from utensils and dishes that have been slurped, spit on and *inside* of umpteen thousand people's mouth. :drinker: Yes, there are dishwashers and there are dish washers. Trust 'em implicitly with the super magic portal that is your mouth?
    Clothes are worn on top of the body unless you're some freak in the upcoming line up of TLC's "My strange addiction".

Wash, wash, wash..hot water, bleach, baking soda, vinegar...kill the cooties. Save the wallet and slide Mama Earth a little slack.

*hypocritcal p.s.
    Underwear and panties
    No, just no if you can avoid it. I bet even Mama Earth would agree. :flowerforyou:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    We buy most of our clothing items either at thrift stores or consignment shops. I cant justify spending the kind of money they want for new clothing. Especially for the kids. They just out grow it all in a few months anyways. Has really saved a lot as we have lost weight also. My wife is the second hand and coupon shopping master. : ) When we do buy new, for the obvious things you dont want second hand, we try to buy U.S. made and will spend more for those when we can find them.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Gotta say never did thrift shop much thought the same thing, no, just not that pooor, but I was traveling and found the nicest little shop went inside and all the rack were color coordinated by single primary color and size it was spotless! Bought a Ralph lauren sweater for Ten dollars! wEAR IT TO this day one of my favs and to red ones and a copper tea kettle for decor, best store! My Hubby found this old small Mahogany desk which nearly matches the dinning room set it is in the same room as, in the corner for $7 and I went to swank furniture stores and was looking for a very small desk(which I could not find) other desks ran near $800.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE OF GOODWILL, COUPONS, AND SECOND HAND STORES I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BUILD UP A NEST EGG AND LIVE WITHIN MY MEANS. IT'S AMAZING TO NOT LIVE PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK AND HAVE FINANCIAL SECURITY. WHY PAY RETAIL WHEN THE SAME THING IS AVAILABLE CHEAPER ONLINE, WITH A COUPON OR SECONDHAND. I'M NOT POOR, I DRESS WELL AND I INVEST/PAY RETAIL ONLY ON HIGH PRIORITY ITEMS LIKE CARS, ELECTRONICS AND HOUSEHOLD NEEDS. I FELT STRANGE SPENDING 10 DOLLARS FOR A BOTTLE OF TIDE BUT I KNOW THE VALUE SO I GET IT. DO I NEED TO HAVE A BRAND NEW LV PURSE? NOPE, I CAN GET A GENTLY LOVED MARC JACOBS AND STILL TURN HEADS. IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING THE BEST FINANCIAL CHOICE FOR ME :)

WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS.... DON'T INSULT PEOPLE WHO SHOP SECONDHAND. THEY ARE BUYING INTO THEIR COMMUNITIES, DONATING FOR GREATER SOCIAL WEALTH AND RECYCLING AT THE SAME TIME.

FUN FACT: IT TAKES 700 GALLONS OF WATER TO MAKE ONE SINGLE SHIRT. THINK ABOUT THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU DROP A FEW BUCKS AT H&M, DEPARTMENT STORES OR BOUTIQUES. BY SHOPPING SECONDHAND AND THRIFT WE CAN CUT DOWN ON CLOTHING PRODUCTION DEMAND AND REDUCE WASTE.

GOODWILL: IT'S BIGGER THAN YOU THINK :)

STOP YELLING AT ME!!!

when i read stuff like this i YELL IN MY HEAD!!!!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am loving these finds everyone is sharing :) if I had more free time I'd browse thrift stores all day!
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It's not [always] about being poor. It can also be about not being wasteful by only buying new, and it can be about helping the community, giving to organizations that help other people.

But even if it is about being "poor", why is that a bad thing? Why be rude and condescending to others who may be in a rough spot? There's no need for that kind of attitude. Way to be a jerk.

That said, I love shopping at thrift stores, whether I'm in a time of plenty or whether money is tight. I've been shopping at thrift stores since high school. Luckily, around here, we have a lot of consignment shops, where the standard for what they put on the racks is a bit higher (must have no stains, smell freshly laundered, etc), and it's way better organized. Besides, if you have a good laundry detergent, you can always just *gasp* wash it yourself before wearing it.

And for parents, since kids grow out of clothes so stinkin quick, it's nice to know "I only spent $2 on this pair of shoes she only wore twice before her growth spurt." Again, it's about not being wasteful, and additionally, supporting your local community programs and small businesses.
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.

totally the same...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE OF GOODWILL, COUPONS, AND SECOND HAND STORES I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BUILD UP A NEST EGG AND LIVE WITHIN MY MEANS. IT'S AMAZING TO NOT LIVE PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK AND HAVE FINANCIAL SECURITY. WHY PAY RETAIL WHEN THE SAME THING IS AVAILABLE CHEAPER ONLINE, WITH A COUPON OR SECONDHAND. I'M NOT POOR, I DRESS WELL AND I INVEST/PAY RETAIL ONLY ON HIGH PRIORITY ITEMS LIKE CARS, ELECTRONICS AND HOUSEHOLD NEEDS. I FELT STRANGE SPENDING 10 DOLLARS FOR A BOTTLE OF TIDE BUT I KNOW THE VALUE SO I GET IT. DO I NEED TO HAVE A BRAND NEW LV PURSE? NOPE, I CAN GET A GENTLY LOVED MARC JACOBS AND STILL TURN HEADS. IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING THE BEST FINANCIAL CHOICE FOR ME :)

WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS.... DON'T INSULT PEOPLE WHO SHOP SECONDHAND. THEY ARE BUYING INTO THEIR COMMUNITIES, DONATING FOR GREATER SOCIAL WEALTH AND RECYCLING AT THE SAME TIME.

FUN FACT: IT TAKES 700 GALLONS OF WATER TO MAKE ONE SINGLE SHIRT. THINK ABOUT THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU DROP A FEW BUCKS AT H&M, DEPARTMENT STORES OR BOUTIQUES. BY SHOPPING SECONDHAND AND THRIFT WE CAN CUT DOWN ON CLOTHING PRODUCTION DEMAND AND REDUCE WASTE.

GOODWILL: IT'S BIGGER THAN YOU THINK :)

STOP YELLING AT ME!!!

when i read stuff like this i YELL IN MY HEAD!!!!

abd.gif
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I love thrift stores. We both donate and shop. Plus one year I was going as Velma from Scooby Doo for Halloween and finally found a bulky orange turtleneck at Goodwill. No small feat that.

BUT...that's not what this thread is about to become. So I'm just getting this on my topics to watch the class warfare.

Honestly, I wasn't intending to post this as a "debate" topic, but I forgot that it's a hot-button issue in this community. Obviously there are some clothing items that should always be bought new, such as underthings, socks, swimsuits, and maybe workout clothes. But even if I had more money than I currently do, I would still choose to shop thrift stores. Especially now, during this transitional period in my wardrobe!

Also, that's awesome about the Velma costume, thrift stores come in handy around holidays!

Oh I know you didn't intend it. It's actually a really good idea, especially as you lose weight. I just have a feeling that one guy's crass remark is going to...well...accomplish exactly what he intended. But back on topic, I love going to the Goodwill stores in the more affluent 'burbs outside my city. They donate all kinds of stuff that hasn't even been used. My latest find was a beautiful wooden drying rack for my laundry area, HUGE. Paid a few bucks. Boom. :)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm always perplexed when people wrinkle their nose at wearing clothing that someone else's rear-end has inhabited yet will go in a restaraunt and drink and eat from utensils and dishes that have been slurped, spit on and *inside* of umpteen thousand people's mouth. :drinker: Yes, there are dishwashers and there are dish washers. Trust 'em implicitly with the super magic portal that is your mouth?

Haha, I never thought about it that way before! I guess I trust clothes-washers and dishwashers equally then! But I agree, it's zany that people get all germophobic about wearing someone else's clothes, but then they don't wash their hands after using a public bathroom!!!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I hear yah *high 5* LOL! My jeans alone cost £45 which is like $70

How gracious of you to mingle with us plebeians.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I donate stuff to the Goodwill, then walk around the front and buy a few things. I prefer Goodwill because I know where the money is going. We have a Savers in town that always has some whacko stuff that is great for costumes, but the money goes to unnamed local non profits, so I never donate there.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :noway: :laugh: :wink: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up we WERE poor. I didnt even get thrift store goods, I got my sisters hand me downs or the neighbors hand me downs LOL I HATED it. I also never got name brand shoes...and my mother kept me in velcro shoes till 3rd grade (I begged her for laces!) hahaha

Anyway, growing up poor I HATED all the hand me downs and I swore i would never do that to my kids. Well, here I am a mother of two boys (currently 10 and 14) and guess what? We LOVE Value Village! I told the boys this past fall that we needed to go to the mall for school shopping...they HATE the mall...and they ASKED to go to Bargain World instead because they were having a 50% off sale. The 3 of us kind of enjoy the "hunt". My hubs...very much does NOT enjoy it. He's a name brand KING.

Can I afford to shop the mall and buy all name brand? YES. But I just really enjoy the "thrill" of spending $60 on 4 or 5 HUGE bags of clothes! I pretty much take all major holidays off of work for the simple fact that Value Village always has a 50% off sale those days LOL I also probably enjoy it more because its a choice to shop frugal. I'd probably be less thrilled if I HAD to rely on it.
    FYI, we are an upper middle class income family. I'm proud of my frugal boys though :happy:
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Although I do shop at thrift stores, I won't step foot inside Goodwill. The Goodwill stores in my area are disgusting and disorganized. I mainly go to thrift stores to find items for resale, but have nothing against buying used clothes if I needed them.

That is unfortunate. Goodwill stores in Illinois are large, clean, and staffed by friendly people who may or may not have disabilities. Even if I've been discouraged at not finding what I wanted, I've never had a bad experience there in terms of the condition of the store.

It is unfortunate because I have been to Goodwill stores in other states that were not like that.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I'm like, "that's fifty dollars for a teeshirt..."

LOVE...

I do visit consignment shops for stuff like jackets and jeans for my kids. I have no problem with buying used. I just don't like the goodwill experience. But I will tell you this. The more affluent areas near where I live turned their Goodwill stores into ""Bluetiques". They focus on being super organized and clean. I've found name brand bags there. P.S Smells nice in there.
  • rainbowlove03
    Options
    The always go to Goodwill for my school uniforms (even though I only have three months left)

The last time I went for school clothes, I got two polos and a pair of black pants for $8

I'm addicted to shopping AND saving so buying what I need for less than $10 was a big rush.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I love the thrift store! We have ARC and my sister is the best at finding great things. We pile up a cart and go to the dressing room. The last time I went I got a nice purse and a bunch of books for reading on the beach, but I have found great sweaters and a sweater dress.
    And, I actually did get this big a55 coat, from the thriftstore down the road! it's long and furry and I love it.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I will say though that I do NOT buy any underwear, socks, shoes or pajamas/sleepwear there. Ewe.