Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options
Ramberta
Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
Yesterday, I was horrified when my favorite (and only!) pair of jeans split open while I was on a ladder at my job. I was wearing my one and only pair of red undies, too. I stuck it out through the rest of my shift, but now my nickname is "Red".

However, my spirits were immediately brightened when, upon walking into Goodwill later that afternoon, I discovered a whole RACK of plus-size pants! I guess I haven't been to a Goodwill in about a year, and the last time I went the plus size section was tiny, and looked like all the women who had been young in the 80s were finally cleaning out their closets.

But then, as I tried on a few 22/24 pants, I discovered that they were all already stretched out to their maximum capacity-- so they were huge on me! I was trying on size 20 jeans, for the first time since high school. Pretty crazy.

And the best part was at the register. Here's what I bought for FORTY BUCKS!

--Two pairs of jeans
--One pair of denim board shorts
--One blouse (for work)
--Three dresses
--A pair of shoes.

Thrift stores are the bomb. (Except the Salvation Army, cuz apparently they really don't like gay people. But I'm not trying to open that can of worms!)

TL;DR What is YOUR best thrift store snag? Do you shop at thrift stores regularly? I signed up for the Goodwill purple savings card, and was told that they will soon be implementing a points system, earning points per dollar spent. I'm psyched, since I anticipate having to change sizes several more times this year!

Replies

• ericmessier
    ericmessier Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I hit the party and they stop in that mother****er
    They be like, "Oh, that Gucci - that's hella tight."
    I'm like, "Yo - that's fifty dollars for a T-shirt."
    Limited edition, let's do some simple addition
    Fifty dollars for a T-shirt - that's just some ignorant *****
    I call that getting swindled and pimped
    I call that getting tricked by a business
    That shirt's hella dough
    And having the same one as six other people in this club is a hella don't
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I hear yah *high 5* LOL! My jeans alone cost £45 which is like $70
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

You do not have to be poor to shop at a thrift store. Our local thrift store has quite a bit of brand new with tags items for great deals. We have a local place called the Hospital Auxiliary and the money is given to our local Hospital. So you are also giving back to the community. Anyway, just my 2 cents, not really worth much.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Well it must be nice to be you! It also must be nice to be unconcerned with reusing instead of creating waste and supporting sweatshop labor! :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I don't shop at them regularly as I usually don't find my size or what I"m looking for.

That said...as I'm dropping sizes, I'm irritated with how much clothing costs in plus sizes so I have been checking Goodwill more often in hopes I can find "in between" clothing items for less money. I'd rather save my money then put it towards a $60 pair of work pants that won't fit me in a month or two.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    That shirt's hella dough

Beat me to it.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    That shirt's hella dough

Hahahahaha. This song is ridiculous, but I like it. You think you'll get chicks with your brand, then you hella won't!
  • Ramberta
    Options
    I don't shop at them regularly as I usually don't find my size or what I"m looking for.

That said...as I'm dropping sizes, I'm irritated with how much clothing costs in plus sizes so I have been checking Goodwill more often in hopes I can find "in between" clothing items for less money. I'd rather save my money then put it towards a $60 pair of work pants that won't fit me in a month or two.

This is my thinking exactly :) once I get to my goal weight, I will splurge on nice clothes, but I'm not wasting money on clothes that I shouldn't even be wearing by the end of summer!
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    mariabraceyrobinson Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    YES, i SHOP AT THIFT STORES. i DON'T WANT TO SPEND A FORTUNE ON CLOTHES i DON'T PLAN ON STAYING IN. i'M CURRENTLY A 14. WHEN I WENT UP TO A 14 FROM A 12, I STOPPED BUYING NEW JEANS. UNTIL I'M DOWN TO MY RIGHTFUL SIZES OF A LOOSE 10, THIFT STORES HERE I COME!
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Do you even shop?
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "I'm gonna pop some tags, I got $20 in my pocket..."
  • alleshiam
    alleshiam Posts: 38
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

You do not have to be poor to shop at a thrift store. Our local thrift store has quite a bit of brand new with tags items for great deals. We have a local place called the Hospital Auxiliary and the money is given to our local Hospital. So you are also giving back to the community. Anyway, just my 2 cents, not really worth much.
    ^^ So true.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    mariabraceyrobinson Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE NEW CLOTHES HAVE BEEN EITHER. eVER HEARD OF PEOPLE WEARING THE CLOTHES AND BRINGING THEM BACK TO THE STORE? IT HAPPENS MORE OFTEN THEN NOT. THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULD WASH YOUR CLOTHES BEFORE YOU WEAR THEM.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I love shopping at the thrift store. I can find really nice name-brand clothing at super reasonable prices! I get that it's not everyone's bag, but I look just as good as anyone who paid $70 for their jeans, and nobody knows any different.

Basically, I like to spend my money on other things, so the thrift store is great.
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would shop at Goodwill more if they would seperate clothes by size. It is a mess in all the ones in my area. I honestly don't have the time to look at every piece of clothing to find something in my size. If it was easier to shop there, i'd be there ALL OF THE TIME!
  • noelie365
    noelie365 Posts: 13
    Options
    I love digging around at thrift stores. I'm trying to be a minimalist and downsize my life, but when I do need something I try to be eco friendly by reusing rather than buying new things.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

I hear yah *high 5* LOL! My jeans alone cost £45 which is like $70

Does buying expensive clothes make you feel special? My best friend bought 3 dress shirts, 2 Gucci and 1 Armani, from a thrift store in the north side of Chicago. You don't have to pay out the *kitten* for nice brands :)
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Haha you might be one day if you keep spending ridiculous amounts of money on clothes!