RUNNERS: Asics vs. Brooks - GO!

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm currently experimenting with Brooks but I started with Asics and on my feet right now are Asics GT-2000. I just think that I might be a 4E instead of a 2E and I'M GOING INSANE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE RIGHT SHOW FOR ME IS. I AM LOSING MY MIND WITH OBSESSION.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I used to wear Asics, then they narrowed the toe box and I couldn't wear them anymore. Since then I've run in various shoes from Saucony, Nike, and Mizuno.
    When was this, out of interest?

I have the Kayano Gel 16; wondering if the 19 is going to be narrower as I have fairly wide feet at the toes.
    It was a few years ago, so if you have recent shoes you should be fine.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, all, and esp thanks for the runningwarehouse tip! :)
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm more of a minimalist. I don't like the Cascadia - too heavy. I do like the Brooks Pure Grit and the Asics Gel Fuji Racer for trail shoes. I would think if you like the Cascadia then the Pure series may take some getting used to.

This was interesting - you think because the Pure series will be a lot lighter? Or the drop difference? Or something else?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Once you go Brooks, you never go back. :)

At least I didn't. The shoes seriously saved me a ton of foot owies!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I run in both. I switch between Brooks Pure Flow and Asic Nimbus. What I wear depends on my training for the day. I run my races in the Brooks.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    ASICS for me.

Get fitted professionally and see what is best for your foot and the activity that you are doing. Runners for running - Cross Trainers for the rest.

They have some fabulous colours in sports shoes these days!! Go crazy!
  • rg8817
    rg8817 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic! I'm torn right now as well. I love my Brooks Glycerin but they are quite expensive
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    I was always an asics girl, I like brooks, but bought Nike.

It's what you prefer. If you have an hour, go try different ones on. Ever consider Vibram FiveFingers?
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Brooks Glycerines. I'm on my 3rd generation of them, soon to upgrade again to the 11s! They fit my foot , provide support and still feel relatively light. I've found with aisics they feel large on my feet and kind of heavy while I run. Just my personal feelings though!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Saucony

^^This.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics. I wear a fun, colorful pair when I work out, a black pair for work, and I have an old pair (almost two years old now) that I wear out and about. My favorite shoes. I have no complaints.
  • LeighAnnH75
    LeighAnnH75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ghost 6!! Love them
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Neither. New Balance Trail Minimus Zero.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like Saucony. But then again, everyone is different. I also had a pair of Brooks that I liked. It's all about fit though, try on every pair in the store until you find one made for you.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    both are great. Go get professionally fitted.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Asics for years...now NB Minimus. LOVE them. I feel so springy and quick in them....and no knee pain like I'd been getting (after years) with the Asics.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I always loved New Balance, then they quit working for me. Was just fitted in Brooks Pure - version 1. LOVE THEM! However, they are already unavailable, so have to go to version 2. Hope I like them as much.

I think the minimalist drop is awesome...and I'm a heavy runner.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Neither. I'm a Saucony convert. Although, the shoe usually fits the person and not the other way around. I had my foot anaylzed by Saucony at a sports convention and have been running carefree since. Saucony's claim to fame is that they ONLY do running. I think they have perfected the weight/support and materials brilliantly! I run with the kinvara (I like minimalist) and I have noticed a real change in my leg muscles (definition and strength).

I ran for 6 years in Asics and was injuring myself because my foot was not properly analyzed (with my gait, stance, weight etc.)

*edited for typos
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    funny - you sound very similar to me. Today's my first day back on MFP but I liked seeing the Asics to Brooks post. I loved my Asics (and had used "whatever" kind of clearance sneakers prying to purchasing my Asics...
    When I went to get fitted for a new pair of shoes last year, we ended up going with Brooks.Adrenaline. I just felt like I got more support (but not constriction) with my Brooks. It may just vary too as one gets better at running or changes form (improves it) and you strike a little differently etc.