What do you all do with canned salmon?

Options
12346»

Replies

• funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Give to the cat.

Dubious about fresh salmon? Really? Have you actually tried it?
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options

5. Sriracha

I put sriracha on EVERYTHING... yes... even my toothbrush. ;)
  • doctorwhome
    Options
    Bump for later. I need new salmon ideas.
  • 1mrdee
    1mrdee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What did you use for calorie count on this. I just made some, my favorite, with the Double Q brand, town house light cracker, onion, egg, then baked it. Creole seasoning...very good.

Thanks,
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    funny.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I make a great crustless salmon quiche

2 cans salmon
    sauteed veggies (mushrooms - zucchini - yellow squash - onion)
    1 T flour
    1/4c reduced fat cheddar
    3 egg whites
    1 egg
    Tabasco
    1t pepper

Cook up your veggies

mix flour with salmon and cheese

whisk egg whites and egg together - add Tabasco (few drops) and pepper

combine salmon mixture and veggies in a pie plate
    pour egg mixture over

bake at 400 for about 45 minutes

It's delicious - very low calorie - and high in protein.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like fresh salmon, I like frozen salmon, I like smoked salmon and I really like lox.

However, canned salmon is a no go...That stuff is putrid imo; my cats won't even eat it lol (believe me, I tried to get them to eat it because I didn't want to waste the can of salmon just because I discovered I didn't like it.)
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I like fresh salmon, I like frozen salmon, I like smoked salmon and I really like lox.

However, canned salmon is a no go...That stuff is putrid imo; my cats won't even eat it lol (believe me, I tried to get them to eat it because I didn't want to waste the can of salmon just because I discovered I didn't like it.)

I agree. The salmon with bones and skin is really fishy. The smell really gets me because it is so strong. It really grosses me out. I like canned tuna or salmon without skin and bones.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use the smaller canned 'wild' salmon ( crown prince or wild planet) and add:

-some variety of light mayo
    -finely chopped onion
    -chopped dill pickles
    -a tsp or two of stone ground mustard
    -some lemon pepper

and smash it all together with a fork. Then I either use it as a dip for crackers or as a sandwich spread. People tend to gobble it up either way. Sometimes I add avocado or celery, and sometimes instead of pickles I use capers. If I'm putting it on a sandwich I usually add a layer of romaine lettuce over top of the spread.

Plus, I could be wrong, but I don't think the wild salmon tastes as fishy as the non-wild kinds.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fresh salmon is incredible.

Oh I know. I wish I could have it all the time. My fave is to get a whole de-boned fish, stuff it with lemon slices and fresh herbs, and throw it on the grill.

Canned is really different, though, huh?

Thanks for all the recipes so far. Please keep them coming!

I have no problem with canned salmon and I usually have a couple of cans in the pantry.

I like to do a "salmon salad" just like I do tuna salad. Mayo, mustard and greek yogurt combination celery, crushed pecans, some dry cranberries,or chopped grapes if I have any, curry and pepper seasoning. Spread on bread with lettuce and tomato or I stuff 1/2 a papaya. Both my husband I like it that way.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Salmon patties would be my stand-by answer (egg, crushed crackers, salt, pepper, minced onion, etc), fry in a pan w/ cooking spray and enjoy w/ tarter sauce, ketchup or alone.

But my healthier suggestion would be to make a fried rice w/ it. If too fishy you open the can, press the liquid out, add a little water (to rinse) and press the water out again - then use it. Add veggies of choice, cooked cooled brown rice, scrambled eggs, a little soy sauce, chopped garlic and rice wine vinegar.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    With canned salmon? Personally, I eye it suspiciously from across the aisle at the grocery store. I try to pass quietly, lest it become aware of my presence.

This... I'm lucky enough to live on the east coast (Rhode Island). We have some pretty great seafood places that I can get fresh fish at. Canned stuff just stays on the shelf around here.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    1. Nasty
    2. Feed it to the dogs. Seriously, I tried to make a salmon salad and it was inedible. The dogs appreciated it, however.

ha-ha, my cats wouldn't even touch it
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump for later:smile:
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Canned Salmon? What's that? Oh you mean the "fish" they scrape from the bottom of the barrels? Tuna with a pinch of dolphin and a ton of food coloring? yeah, I throw that out.
  • KatieChapin
    Options
    Try the new kind in the package. Less bones and not as fishy! I like eating it by itself.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    ah yes as someone mentioned - used to have when we were kids. I love canned salmon - best quality - on a bed of lettuce with vinegar and a sprinkle of salt. Also lovely mashed with a bit of venegar - put on toast and pop under the broiler - yum! Kipper snacks are fabulous this way too:smile: and those little bones - so full of calcium - we all used to fight over them

Of course you can not beat fresh wild caught copper river salmon, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • rhonnik
    rhonnik Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Salmon patties. Love them!