Drama & Naysayers

Options
This is kind of an odd topic - but one that I've been dealing with lately. It seems like whenever I go to a park in my town, there is always someone either making fun of me working out, or another jogger/walker acting nasty (usually a woman). Does anyone else deal with this? Today another woman literally bumped me off the walking path, then about thirty minutes later, a man asked me very condescendingly while I was doing lunges if it was to "help with walking up and down the stairs?", followed by "Gosh there are so many weirdos at the park nowadays". I remember bullies in 5th grade, but I can't believe adults act this way!

It seems like people are either making fun because you're overweight, or picking on you because they're jealous. I suppose fitness is a touchy topic, and brings out peoples insecurities. Should I be prepared for even more BS when I show off my bikini body (that I'm working SO hard for, and thanks to fitnesspal for helping!), this summer? Women, do you notice drama follows you more now that you're in shape and feeling great? If so, how do you deal with it?

Replies

• LivMinusTen
    LivMinusTen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, they really are that bad? Seems like bullying to me too and I don't understand people like that.
    I love working out outside and when one of my kids has a practice outside I usually walk around the field. I do run when I am behind a building though, because they do look at me, and I want to be invisible. :-) After I am done with my outside workout I feel super, though.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    nope this has never happened to me and i hear it here all the time which makes me wonder if people arent creating these situations in their own head as an easy "out".

"I cant get healthy because people are MEAN!"
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I too can't believe they are that mean to you...they need to get out of high school ! You're gorgeous, so maybe they are just jealous !
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Uhm . . . . you're either overly sensitive or you live in a town that hates healthy people getting fit.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    This is kind of an odd topic - but one that I've been dealing with lately. It seems like whenever I go to a park in my town, there is always someone either making fun of me working out, or another jogger/walker acting nasty (usually a woman). Does anyone else deal with this? Today another woman literally bumped me off the walking path, then about thirty minutes later, a man asked me very condescendingly while I was doing lunges if it was to "help with walking up and down the stairs?", followed by "Gosh there are so many weirdos at the park nowadays". I remember bullies in 5th grade, but I can't believe adults act this way!

It seems like people are either making fun because you're overweight, or picking on you because they're jealous. I suppose fitness is a touchy topic, and brings out peoples insecurities. Should I be prepared for even more BS when I show off my bikini body (that I'm working SO hard for, and thanks to fitnesspal for helping!), this summer? Women, do you notice drama follows you more now that you're in shape and feeling great? If so, how do you deal with it?

WHOA.

Where do you live????

I have always goin out in public and done my stuff where ever I am and I don't get comments like that :( I'm sorry. My city is really fitness focused so it's not unusual to see tons of people out running and working out.

I say just let it roll off you like water and do what you do and ignore them as much as possible.

You may also want to carry pepper spray.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Drama doesn't follow me because I don't encourage it.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is smile and enjoy your jog...

Dont waste your time on negative people. Jeolousy that is all it is. DOnt let them win.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Nope. When I see other runners, we smile and say hi or nod to each other. Sometimes I get little old men saying things like, "Are you running to catch the bus?" or "Yeah, I just finished a marathon myself..." The worst I ever hear is "Run, Forrest, Run!" And that's not so bad.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'd start working on an arsenal of comebacks...

"help with walking up and down the stairs?",
    answer: No, actually I do it to trigger random conversations with condescending *kitten*. Look, it works!

"Gosh there are so many weirdos at the park nowadays"
    answer: yeah, and they apparently talk to themselves too
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Drama doesn't follow me because I don't encourage it.
    Pretty much.

I've never, ever had this happen to me. Not when I was 280 lbs, and not now.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It MAY have been this person.,,

tumblr_inline_mgweseu3JM1r8ncb6.gif
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'd start working on an arsenal of comebacks...

"help with walking up and down the stairs?",
    answer: No, actually I do it to trigger random conversations with condescending *kitten*. Look, it works!

"Gosh there are so many weirdos at the park nowadays"
    answer: yeah, and they apparently talk to themselves too

This is a perfect response for this thread :claps:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced this, and I am sorry that you have.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nothing like that happens here. Yikes!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is smile and enjoy your jog...

Dont waste your time on negative people. Jeolousy that is all it is. DOnt let them win.

It's annoying when women say "jealousy" is the reason others behave the way they do. Maybe it makes people feel better to think so, but it's rarely true.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There's a bike path where I used to roller blade regularly (I need new ones, so haven't been in a while) and some of the bikers were kind of rude and weirdly territorial. Other than that, nothing of that nature has ever happened to me.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Your town sounds like a horrible, horrible place.

I do all sorts of strange things in parks and nobody ever says anything mean.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced this, and I am sorry that you have.

me too!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    well this has never happened to me so i think i'll be catty and say that it's either a lie to get you out of working out or you're walking around with a t-shirt that reads ''asking for it!''. you're welcome xx
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    turn up your music and ignore- jealousy is a beast. Nothing you can do about it. (and if you are like me, ask them if they wanna race, and then flip them off as you leave them in your dust)