Drama & Naysayers

Options

Replies

• edinphx
    edinphx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ipod plus headphones - turn the music way up! solves those kinds of problems
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    This is kind of an odd topic - but one that I've been dealing with lately. It seems like whenever I go to a park in my town, there is always someone either making fun of me working out, or another jogger/walker acting nasty (usually a woman). Does anyone else deal with this? Today another woman literally bumped me off the walking path, then about thirty minutes later, a man asked me very condescendingly while I was doing lunges if it was to "help with walking up and down the stairs?", followed by "Gosh there are so many weirdos at the park nowadays". I remember bullies in 5th grade, but I can't believe adults act this way!

It seems like people are either making fun because you're overweight, or picking on you because they're jealous. I suppose fitness is a touchy topic, and brings out peoples insecurities. Should I be prepared for even more BS when I show off my bikini body (that I'm working SO hard for, and thanks to fitnesspal for helping!), this summer? Women, do you notice drama follows you more now that you're in shape and feeling great? If so, how do you deal with it?

OMG! this is shocking. I can't see that happening at all where I live. I'm in the midwest I have gone to some northern states and people just walk up and cut ahead of me in line and don't care. Here people would allow "me to go ahead in line" just to be courteous.

I think it is a jealousy thing. Women make fun of me a lot, but I have never had a man do it to my face (beyond high school). Except for on MFP, men dog me here, but that doesn't count.. I have had a woman flirt with my man and then look at me and say, "your *kitten* is fat" right in front of him, etc. That sort of thing. What is happening with you is a jealousy thing. And not sure what is up with that guy. I get very crazy with people who do not mind their business. I used to be known as the, "sweet" one, but now I just tell them to shut up and get the hell away from me NOW!. When you act "a little crazy" it works, lol. I have learned you won't be bothered any more they are too afraid too. I also get a mean face going when I can see someone approaching whom I dont' want to talk to. Or pretend like you are deaf and can't hear them, lol. That one is my favorite. I have done that so many times lol.
  • slugphat
    slugphat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Next time you encounter something like this you should do the whole superstar thing then offer them a whiff. I think that would be hilarious.

or you could just ignore them and do your thing.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    The best thing you can do is smile and enjoy your jog...

Dont waste your time on negative people. Jeolousy that is all it is. DOnt let them win.

It's annoying when women say "jealousy" is the reason others behave the way they do. Maybe it makes people feel better to think so, but it's rarely true.

If you know it isn't jealousy , then you have to know that because you know what else it is. Fill us in.
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    My town is actually a great place, but like one other poster mentioned about her experience, it is territorial at the particular park. Everyone seems to know each other, and if you're not in the little "clique", watch out!

I definitely don't encourage drama, and only speak when spoken to when I'm working out. I'm definitely in "the zone" and am in my own happy place. Not an excuse to NOT get healthy, because I already AM healthy and have a rockin' body.

I have no idea how someone could insinuate that just because it doesn't happen to them, it must be a lie. Blah. Kinda rude. We all have different experiences. This is the support forum after all, the last thing I need is criticism!

I've found that A LOT of women are jealous. It doesn't make me feel good at all, I would rather receive no attention than negative attention or comments. Once again, maybe that is not your experience or your oblivious to it, but I'm sure it happens to most women that are attractive and in shape.

Shrug.
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Dont waste your time on negative people. Jeolousy that is all it is. DOnt let them win.

Totaly agree with this. There are mean and rotten people everywhere. I have seen them on this site - they are bullies and don't even realize. It is easier said than done to say ignore it but you need to try. Good luck!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

It's annoying when women say "jealousy" is the reason others behave the way they do. Maybe it makes people feel better to think so, but it's rarely true.

If you know it isn't jealousy , then you have to know that because you know what else it is. Fill us in.

No, thanks. I try not to get involved in discussions with you. :flowerforyou:
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    Okay Concretegirl, if you won't tell lorryann - I would like to know. What are the other rational explanations?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

No, thanks. I try not to get involved in discussions with you. :flowerforyou:

It's because you are jealous! :angry:
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

I've found that A LOT of women are jealous. It doesn't make me feel good at all, I would rather receive no attention than negative attention or comments. Once again, maybe that is not your experience or your oblivious to it, but I'm sure it happens to most women that are attractive and in shape.

Shrug.

the hotter your body starts to look, the meaner the women will be. It's a shame how much looks play a role in how you are treated, but it does. Women are usually very nasty to each other. Oprah once said, she didn't want to lose all her weight, bc it would hurt her ratings bc studies show women don't like "in shape" women as much as ones who are either more like them or out of shape. Not sure of the exact quote, but that is basically what she said.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Okay Concretegirl, if you won't tell lorryann - I would like to know. What are the other rational explanations?

I think that a lot of women tend to tell other women that it's jealousy to make them feel better. Like if a woman makes a rude remark, OH SHE'S JUST JEALOUS. .....Or maybe she really just thinks it?

They could either be A) right or B) Just a not very nice person. Doesn't automatically mean jealousy.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    If it's not jealousy, then I'm guessing it's a superiority complex.

I don't think you're imagining it or creating it. It does happen. B!+ches feel threatened and competitive for no reason. Lol. Keep doing what you do.

I like the suggested comebacks. Be ready!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

just guessing here but sometimes people are just having a bad day and it makes them feel better to be an *kitten* to someone else. Or they think its funny. Or they are demented and get a thrill out of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    never heard of such a thing
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Hm. Interesting point. How exactly do you determine that it is jealousy? I never assume anyone is jealous of me. Maybe intimidated or self-conscious about themselves. Never jealous.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    One more for wearing earphones. They protect your hearing from *kitten*.
  • carrieous
    Options

Shrug.

the hotter your body starts to look, the meaner the women will be. It's a shame how much looks play a role in how you are treated, but it does. Women are usually very nasty to each other. Oprah once said, she didn't want to lose all her weight, bc it would hurt her ratings bc studies show women don't like "in shape" women as much as ones who are either more like them or out of shape. Not sure of the exact quote, but that is basically what she said.

i also dont agree with this. I have a lot of hot friends. They are very nice people
  • carrieous
    Options

Hm. Interesting point. How exactly do you determine that it is jealousy? I never assume anyone is jealous of me. Maybe intimidated or self-conscious about themselves. Never jealous.

THIS
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Shrug.

I had a pretty damned hot body most of my life. I have an hourglass figure, DDs on my chest, hair complete strangers stop me in Walmart or the line at an airport or pretty much every time I leave the house to compliment and I was never above a size 6 until I was nearly 30 years old, currently a size 8.

I have NEVER had an experience like you describe. Ever. Once or twice some random chick flirted with my BF in front of me, but never said anything nasty to me personally. I just laughed it off and thought she should count her blessings I'm not the jealous type.

I think if you're getting this kind of treatment, it's more to do with the attitude you project and maybe your own behavior than what you look like.

EDIT: I have a large circle of close female friends, most of whom are very beautiful inside and out. I guess I'm just lucky, but I haven't experienced the female nastiness I see so many women talk about. Maybe because I'm not that type of person myself, so I don't attract women like that into my life.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I was a little girl, and kids at school were mean to me, my mom used to always say, "They're just jealous."

Even at that young age, I thought, "Of what?" I was cute, so were they. I was smart, so were they. I was poor... they weren't. There was nothing to be jealous of. It was just something moms say to make their daughters feel better.

They were mean because... they were mean. And I was an easy target. End of story.