HOW do I get enough protein??? (vegetarian)

Options
1235»

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, nuts, or Beans
  • mhb37
    mhb37 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just saw that you don't like tofu... You'd probably like Quorn products. My friends who only eat meat products were shocked how good they were
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=Road+map&page=13#posts-13939819

I got the information from this guy, who breaks it down really easily. I've been asking him questions about it too.
  • audra3091
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am a vegetarian and use myfitness pal also have taken several nutrition classes the suggested protein in just WAY too high for me. After doing additional research, I believe our protein goals should be around 38-40 for a woman and 47 for a man. What are you thoughts on this? I do use protein shakes and have recently added buckwheat noodles.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just don't like shakes that much. Another idea for breakfast for you would be 1/2 cup oatmeal (not quick cook), 3/4 cup water, PINCH OF SALT (important for taste) and I only use 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, and I add 10 grams of raisins and some cinnamon. Stir, pop in a deep bowl in microwave for 2 min 45 seconds and done! And you get to chew, which I like!

257 cal, 36 carbs, 4 fat, 19 protein, 5 fiber
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I'm technically a pescatarian, but most days eat a vegetarian diet and get 65-80 grams of protein a day. Lost 45 pounds, feel great, and plenty of energy. My niece is a registered dietician and said that 15% protein a day is fine for me. I've completed 11 half marathons and had plenty of zip to cross the finish line.

Lots of great advice from others! I love Greek yogurt. At 18 to 22 grams a cup, it's a winner. I use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and use it liberally. Even a quarter cup (6 grams protein) here and there adds up. Also, you might try quinoa, pumpkin seeds, and edamame.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Why is your protein goal so high? You don't need anything like that much. 45g is plenty.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Presumably the OP's goal is to build muscle. If so, the protein levels are reasonable. As for those suggesting that high a level is harmful, here are a couple of links from a PHd researcher who's thesis was on this exact topic. He also happens to be a natural body builder. I am sure many will cite the china study when they mention that high protein is harmful, but that was not a very scientific study if you care to watch Dr. Nortons vlog 4 below. Either way, each to their own.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/low-protein-diet-helpful-for-kidneys-i-dont-think-so/
    http://www.biolayne.com/uncategorized/biolayne-video-log-4-myths-about-protein/