romantic advice?

Options
anybeary
anybeary Posts: 188 Member
Here's the situation: There's this guy. I've known him for a long time (10 + years) but in the last three years or so, we've gotten pretty close. We have amazing conversations and I feel like I can talk to him about anything. I've had a HUGE crush on him for the last few years. He knows I think he's totally awesome because I tell him so regularly. I've told him I think he's probably the handsomest dude in town as far as I'm concerned. Whenever I'm having some problem, or some cruddy personal situation, he's the first person calling me up to talk about it and ask how I'm doing. He's like Mr. Fixit. When I'm so involved with something that I can't see the forest for the trees, he can rationally sort things out and get my head right again. And let me repeat: he often calls me FIRST in these situations (maybe I mentioned something was up on facebook, and he's calling--BAM). For example, I was dating someone awhile back who tried to commit suicide a couple of days after we split up. It was kind of all over our social circle because that person drug all of our friends into it (this was not something on facebook!). You can imagine what a frought moment that was for me. And my good friend, who I love to peices, is calling me to say, "Hey, this isn't your fault," etc. What a good dude. I really needed that.

Anyway, question is, I can't figure out WHY the two of us haven't gotten together. I keep thinking it's because he isn't attracted to me. That's the only answer I have for you. Or, maybe he sees some reality that I don't about what it would be like if we were actually together. FOLKS: tell me what's up. My friends can't figure it out, and neither can I. What's broken here?

Replies

• YourGirl_Tina
    YourGirl_Tina Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Have you ever said "hey, you and I, i think we have something... lets give it a go".... Or maybe he is also thinking about you the same way and wondering why you don't want more??? idk...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    you're asking the wrong people, you should be asking him.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're in the friend zone.

If you want to talk to someone about it, talk to him.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    You are in the friend zone. No way.

jinx!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Friend zoned.

He may be willing to try something, but be aware of the reprocussions it can have on your friendship. You have been friends so long that the transition may be difficult.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

It is Steak and BJ Day. I don't know, that could help you in a new direciton. Worth a shot anyways.
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    Friend zoned.

He may be willing to try something, but be aware of the reprocussions it can have on your friendship. You have been friends so long that the transition may be difficult.
    This and this times 3. I"m a "dude friend" kinda gal.. and the very few times i've tried to mix the two.. it never worked out NO matter how compatible. I learned the hard way. Don't do that. Speak up.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

It is Steak and BJ Day. I don't know, that could help you in a new direciton. Worth a shot anyways.

Actually not too bad of advice.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    @Whierd totally friend-zoned me in the "Would you date the person above you, yes or no" thread. LOL. So I can imagine winning him over would be difficult. But my technique would be to pull out all the stops and maybe try to lure him in with my feminine wiles. A dress. Some flirting. Many cocktails (for me).

You're in the friend zone but that doesn't mean that he hasn't thought about you in the other way. I have found that men with female friends have thought about them in a sexual way at least once or twice.

My advice would be to turn on the charm but if no response, pretend you were drunk.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Lean into him, bear your soul and go in for a kiss! Whats the worst that can happen? Your already stressin him, you know that you cant move on until you get closure. If it were me I lay it all out on the table and be a grown up about and tell him your intentions too see where this leads. You will never know unless you make the first move. Sometimes it just takes us a while too find out who we are as individuals before we can truly give our hearts away. Your ready for the next step. We only have a short time on this earth and it shouldn't be wasted on "what if's" Go for it girl, get yours, you have invested time and energy in a friendship and if he values it he will act accordingly.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    Lean into him, bear your soul and go in for a kiss! Whats the worst that can happen? Your already stressin him, you know that you cant move on until you get closure. If it were me I lay it all out on the table and be a grown up about and tell him your intentions too see where this leads. You will never know unless you make the first move. Sometimes it just takes us a while too find out who we are as individuals before we can truly give our hearts away. Your ready for the next step. We only have a short time on this earth and it shouldn't be wasted on "what if's" Go for it girl, get yours, you have invested time and energy in a friendship and if he values it he will act accordingly.

What if he doesn't know that friendship is supposed to be sexual like this?
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    @Whierd totally friend-zoned me in the "Would you date the person above you, yes or no" thread. LOL. So I can imagine winning him over would be difficult. But my technique would be to pull out all the stops and maybe try to lure him in with my feminine wiles. A dress. Some flirting. Many cocktails (for me).

You're in the friend zone but that doesn't mean that he hasn't thought about you in the other way. I have found that men with female friends have thought about them in a sexual way at least once or twice.

My advice would be to turn on the charm but if no response, pretend you were drunk.

whierd is a total player, dont worry about him

anyways, OP, know what the best way to get out of the friend zone is? Never get there in the first place
  • Factory_Reset
    Options

From what I've heard, men usually want to bang their female friends.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think you should ask him about it. If he is as good a friend as you say he is then he will be honest with you, whether he wants to be with you romantically or not.
  • matt2442
    Options

WHAT? Who told you that? my secret is gone!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Granted, but it sounds like the OP wants more than that.
  • matt2442
    Options

Granted, but it sounds like the OP wants more than that.

SHE WANTS THE D
  • Factory_Reset
    Options

WHAT? Who told you that? my secret is gone!

Funny! My friend Matt told me....then left me a sad, sad panda :cry: