romantic advice?

Options

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the "friend-zoned" replies, and here's why. I whole-heartedly believe in soul-mates. One vital detail that most people don't seem to think about is that in order for two soul-mates to come together, BOTH of them have to be ready.

When I was young, I was best friends with a guy who I knew was in love with me for nearly 4 years. It took that long for me to be ready to be involved with him romantically. I'm not with him anymore, but I believe I was meant to be with him when I was.

I'm also absolutely certain that I was meant to be involved with someone I was with a short time before I met my husband. And I KNOW that I'm with the man I was meant to be with for the rest of my life, now.

We can't know what the path will be to our soul-mates, but every life we touch leads us there, and helps someone else on their path. We reach them when we reach them. I know this might all sound strange, but I know what I'm talking about here.

I have to disagree with the comments recommending you take action, as well. As you said, he knows how you feel. If he feels the same way, he'll let you know when he's ready. I recommend you live your life. If someone else comes along who you want to date, do it. If you're meant to be with this guy, it will happen when it happens.

so you say they are soul mates but they shouldnt do anything? so basically just, nothing?

Nope. Nobody can say they're soul-mates at this point. She says he knows how she feels. If she pushes, and he isn't ready, he'll have to reject her. If he knows how she feels, the ball is in his court.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    If I took 20 years to declare my love for someone, I would expect a punch to the face for wasting time.

Am I alone in not believing in soul mates?

I'm married and I don't believe in soul mates.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the "friend-zoned" replies, and here's why. I whole-heartedly believe in soul-mates. One vital detail that most people don't seem to think about is that in order for two soul-mates to come together, BOTH of them have to be ready.

When I was young, I was best friends with a guy who I knew was in love with me for nearly 4 years. It took that long for me to be ready to be involved with him romantically. I'm not with him anymore, but I believe I was meant to be with him when I was.

I'm also absolutely certain that I was meant to be involved with someone I was with a short time before I met my husband. And I KNOW that I'm with the man I was meant to be with for the rest of my life, now.

We can't know what the path will be to our soul-mates, but every life we touch leads us there, and helps someone else on their path. We reach them when we reach them. I know this might all sound strange, but I know what I'm talking about here.

I have to disagree with the comments recommending you take action, as well. As you said, he knows how you feel. If he feels the same way, he'll let you know when he's ready. I recommend you live your life. If someone else comes along who you want to date, do it. If you're meant to be with this guy, it will happen when it happens.

so you say they are soul mates but they shouldnt do anything? so basically just, nothing?

Nope. Nobody can say they're soul-mates at this point. She says he knows how she feels. If she pushes, and he isn't ready, he'll have to reject her. If he knows how she feels, the ball is in his court.

"The ball is in his court": i do agree with this. It's been in his court for ten years. She needs to pick a new tennis partner.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Meant to be together, but should do nothing. Legit.

Wow, smaller words are not less important. I said IF. None of us can know. It'll happen if it's meant to happen.

IF it was meant to happen, it would've by now.

But didn't you see that man who waited TWENTY YEARS to declare himself?? Maybe he's just shy.

OP, if he's shy, you need to be ready to just throw him down and have your way with him. Don't worry girl, you've earned it! Get yours!

No means no! :angry:
  • whierd
    Options

"The ball is in his court": i do agree with this. It's been in his court for ten years. She needs to pick a new tennis partner.

Has it not also been in her court?
  • susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options

I completely reject the idea that she's helpless in this. The ball is not in his court. She can ask him. If he rejects her, she knows and she can move on. If he doesn't reject her, they don't waste another 10 years. But I do not understand just sitting there like some helpless disney princess expecting him to read her mind.
  • Athena98501
    Options
    If I took 20 years to declare my love for someone, I would expect a punch to the face for wasting time.

I don't believe in soul mates. At all.

I didn't used to either. I was around the OP's age when I met mine. Nothing I did before I met him was a waste of time. It got me where I needed to be. Now I know that people who don't believe in them just haven't met theirs.
  • Factory_Reset
    Options

Meant to be together, but should do nothing. Legit.

Wow, smaller words are not less important. I said IF. None of us can know. It'll happen if it's meant to happen.

IF it was meant to happen, it would've by now.

But didn't you see that man who waited TWENTY YEARS to declare himself?? Maybe he's just shy.

OP, if he's shy, you need to be ready to just throw him down and have your way with him. Don't worry girl, you've earned it! Get yours!

No means no! :angry:

But usually yes :wink:
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

honestly, the ball sounds like it's in left field at this point
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

"soul mates for a reason, a season, or a lifetime." like that?

I've never heard that, but I guess it fits.

my friend was really into soul mates she used to say it. she heard it somewhere and even thought that rationale applied to friends. i tried to tell her that we make our own meaningful relationships, but i'll stop now before the rest falls on deaf ears. lol.
  • susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options

I don't believe in soul mates. At all.

I didn't used to either. I was around the OP's age when I met mine. Nothing I did before I met him was a waste of time. It got me where I needed to be. Now I know that people who don't believe in them just haven't met theirs.

Wow that's condescending. I have been deeply, madly in love where I thought I'd be with him forever. But I also know I can live without the man I used to love, if he let me down. I believe that as humans we're capable of deep, monogamous love more than once. I don't think your idea of 'love' is any more valid than the love I feel.
  • Factory_Reset
    Options

Definitely. New tennis partner. New balls.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    He knows she thinks he is awesome and handsome. That's not the same as knowing she is interested in more. Some guys really need to have it spelled out. Maybe he thinks she is joking or being sarcastic.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

From what she says, he knows how she feels and has chosen not to pursue it, thus indicating a lack of interest in another kind of relationship. I would just move on.
  • Athena98501
    Options

I agree. I thought I kind of said that, too. She should date whoever else she wants, but that doesn't mean something couldn't happen with this guy down the road. You never know.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I'm a big believer that if you don't like something, you change it. If you want more with this guy, the best way to find out if that is possible is to do something. Or be happy not to do something, and forget about it completely, and don't think about it anymore. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Sheesh, it's not rocket surgery.

lmfao. "rocket surgery". that should have already been in my mom brain smush dictionary.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

PH4k8Ho.jpg
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Just do it already! Put something sexy on and comb your hair, pretty up your lips and tell him your down for him!!!

BE BRAVE
  • whierd
    Options

Teehee
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I completely reject the idea that she's helpless in this. The ball is not in his court. She can ask him. If he rejects her, she knows and she can move on. If he doesn't reject her, they don't waste another 10 years. But I do not understand just sitting there like some helpless disney princess expecting him to read her mind.
    ^this. no helpless please. help me help you!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxW_gyi96QrxNOIXeeMX0AwE0pAyFRLsoffHquyC4JhLhrttba