Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    THATS why I got fat!!
    Case closed...

lol jeez...
    Yes, some people react negatively to MSG. Same with gluten, dyes, lactose....
    You will ALWAYS find things that contribute (or "cause") weight gain if you google the right phrase!

I blame it on the formula my mom fed me as a baby.

That 9 months of my life made me fat 29 years later.........it couldn't have been the massive amounts of food I was eating or all the couch sitting I did. Nope, no way.

Obesity is a complex disease and we do not know how genetics interacts with food in the earliest stages of life to set off a metabolic cascade that is very resistant to change. I grew up "addicted" to sugar and wheat. In many ways, it is similar to addiction to alcohol. Sometimes radical approaches are both beneficial and necessary to curb it. Just as a recovering alcoholic knows that he should refrain from alcohol for the rest of his life, so I believe that it is a good idea for me to stay away from sugar and wheat. I wish I'd done it years ago. The benefits have been great---and I have been off sugar for about three years (and wheat for about a year). :smile:
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The difference between naturally occurring chemicals and those that are man made/altered or added is astounding.

My only excuse for being the weight I am is I liked big portions of unhealthy foods but not anymore. :~)

Better living through natural law, not chemicals.

Naturally occurring glutamate

GLU1.jpeg

Man-made glutamate

GLU1.jpeg

Astounding!

Super duper quadruple like!!! ^^
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Eating too much and sitting on my *kitten* did it for me.

Sugar consumption, and specifically its fructose component, carries an "anti-satiety" affect along with it, according to researchers. It also makes for sluggishness.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    in for the lulz

tumblr_laxz23aIh31qax6flo1_250.gif

QFT
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Processed foods tend to make us fat.

Nope, anything over your daily calorie intake over a period of time will make you fat.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!!!
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. There are always confounding factors, but sugar is almost always the COMMON one in all studies. I have done a ton of research on it (and am in the process of an MS in Nutritition). And as someone who used to eat low-fat, whole grain, etc, but now has much better blood work (and am very lean) eating a 60% fat diet and almost no sugar/low carb (carbs from fruits, nuts, veggies and beans almost entirely)...my OWN "research" supports everything I've learned.
    Read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. It's eye-opening and will make you question almost everything we've been taught. It's wild how messed up our food culture has gotten.
    (This was in reply to the post that mentioned sugar being the culprit).
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    in for the lulz

tumblr_laxz23aIh31qax6flo1_250.gif

luvit
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. There are always confounding factors, but sugar is almost always the COMMON one in all studies. I have done a ton of research on it (and am in the process of an MS in Nutritition). And as someone who used to eat low-fat, whole grain, etc, but now has much better blood work (and am very lean) eating a 60% fat diet and almost no sugar/low carb (carbs from fruits, nuts, veggies and beans almost entirely)...my OWN "research" supports everything I've learned.
    Read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. It's eye-opening and will make you question almost everything we've been taught. It's wild how messed up our food culture has gotten.
    (This was in reply to the post that mentioned sugar being the culprit).

We get fat because we eat too much. It's not sugar or MSG or HFC or...or...or......or......it's eating too much and sitting on your backside. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to deflect accountability for being fat. I am fat because I have not used self control and have eaten too much and moved too little. It really is that simple and I don't need a study to tell me that.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    If you didn't have any glutamate in your system, you would be dead now. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed study showing that msg is harmful to humans. A whole bunch of holistic websites, yes. But not one peer reviewed study.

The rat study people like to refer to uses crazy doses of msg that would be impossible for humans to meet that equivalent through eating. Hell, if you OD on salt or sugar like that I'm sure you'd get a reaction too.

Please, know and cite proper sources before going to educate others.

MSG = Monosodium glutamate = C5H8NO4Na
    Glutamate = C5H9NO4

They are not the same thing.

A simple example, Oxygen is a deadly gas, if you breath in oxygen you'd die. WHat we breath ins is O2 (2 oxygen molecules not 1) if you breathed in gas containing 1 oxygen molecule you'll die.

Another example, Barium is an element which is toxic. A few weeks ago I drank barium sulfate, yet i am still here. They're not the same thing.

Actually you're wrong about oxygen. Oxygen exists (in normal conditions) as O2. If it's a gas, it's O2 period. The reason we don't die from it is because atmospheric air is 21% oxygen, not 100%. (the majority is nitrogen, at 78%).

But to stay on topic: mmmm MSG

Where did i say the atmosphere is 100% oxygen? It's pretty obvious that oxygen is a diatonic molecule under normal conditions. That's not the point. The point was Just because there is a name in something, such as barium in barium sulfate, Gutamate, in Glutamate Monosodium, or Oxygen as in oxygen gas, doesn't mean it behaves the same way in a compound.

Except you completely ignore the substance in question. MSG is a sodium salt, which will break down into its component ions.

NaCL -> A sodium and a chlorine

MSG -> A sodium and a glutamate molecule.

And what is your obsession with barium?
  • NaBroski
    Options

Read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. It's eye-opening and will make you question almost everything we've been taught.

Then read authors that don't cherry-pick their sources and ignore everything we've learned in the last 40 years, and you'll realize that Taubes is an idiot.
  • rebitanormaleata
    Options

Nope, anything over your daily calorie intake over a period of time will make you fat.

I'm guessing this is one of the groups where things get dogmatic. I'm telling you there are other factors beyond calories. I'm not saying that calories don't matter but the quality of your food also matters. I'm a woman with PCOS, a hormonal imbalance, and foods and activities that spike your insulin or cortisol will impact how you burn said calories. These things that impact the hormonal balance negatively are often found in processed food. I hate it when people, men in particular who don't have issues like say hypothyroidism, talk like the body is machine and it's all about the mechanical cals in and out-- only. I'm not saying they don't matter I'm saying that eating a bunch of processed crap to lose weight is not going to promote your cause even if the calories are low. Also why would anyone argue IN FAVOR of frankenfood???If you like it, great. If it doesn't impact you, great. But why carry the torch for cap'n crunch as a health food???
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like MSG, and other flavor enhancers (like salt and pepper for instance).

I am not a lab rat. I do not have to over-eat just because the food is more delicious.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Of course MSG causes obesity. That's why everyone is Asia is so fat.

Wait, WUT?

Between that and the carbs from all the rice, I'm surprised that Asians make up roughly 60 percent of the world's population.

Well, only 20% by volume (ba-dumcheeeea)
  • NaBroski
    Options
    If you didn't have any glutamate in your system, you would be dead now. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed study showing that msg is harmful to humans. A whole bunch of holistic websites, yes. But not one peer reviewed study.

The rat study people like to refer to uses crazy doses of msg that would be impossible for humans to meet that equivalent through eating. Hell, if you OD on salt or sugar like that I'm sure you'd get a reaction too.

Please, know and cite proper sources before going to educate others.

MSG = Monosodium glutamate = C5H8NO4Na
    Glutamate = C5H9NO4

They are not the same thing.

A simple example, Oxygen is a deadly gas, if you breath in oxygen you'd die. WHat we breath ins is O2 (2 oxygen molecules not 1) if you breathed in gas containing 1 oxygen molecule you'll die.

Another example, Barium is an element which is toxic. A few weeks ago I drank barium sulfate, yet i am still here. They're not the same thing.

Actually you're wrong about oxygen. Oxygen exists (in normal conditions) as O2. If it's a gas, it's O2 period. The reason we don't die from it is because atmospheric air is 21% oxygen, not 100%. (the majority is nitrogen, at 78%).

But to stay on topic: mmmm MSG

Where did i say the atmosphere is 100% oxygen? It's pretty obvious that oxygen is a diatonic molecule under normal conditions. That's not the point. The point was Just because there is a name in something, such as barium in barium sulfate, Gutamate, in Glutamate Monosodium, or Oxygen as in oxygen gas, doesn't mean it behaves the same way in a compound.

Except you completely ignore the substance in question. MSG is a sodium salt, which will break down into its component ions.

NaCL -> A sodium and a chlorine

MSG -> A sodium and a glutamate molecule.

And what is your obsession with barium?

I don't know, just had to drink some to run some tests on my GI(barium sulfate).

Yes about the NaCl but it's not the same as Na and Cl

Na(Sodium) reacts with water, it explodes. Na+(found in salt) does not. Na+ is Na missing an electron.
    Na+ and Cl- make NaCl(sodium choloride)

I think maybe you know this, but not sure...

Yes, I was referring to the respective ions.

Bottom line is that the body cannot distinguish the free glutamate from food from the glutamate from MSG.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I'm guessing this is one of the groups where things get dogmatic. I'm telling you there are other factors beyond calories. I'm not saying that calories don't matter but the quality of your food also matters. I'm a woman with PCOS, a hormonal imbalance, and foods and activities that spike your insulin or cortisol will impact how you burn said calories. These things that impact the hormonal balance negatively are often found in processed food. I hate it when people, men in particular who don't have issues like say hypothyroidism, talk like the body is machine and it's all about the mechanical cals in and out-- only. I'm not saying they don't matter I'm saying that eating a bunch of processed crap to lose weight is not going to promote your cause even if the calories are low. Also why would anyone argue IN FAVOR of frankenfood???If you like it, great. If it doesn't impact you, great. But why carry the torch for cap'n crunch as a health food???

^^^THIS^^^ Thank you.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    THATS why I got fat!!
    Case closed...

lol jeez...
    You will ALWAYS find things that contribute (or "cause") weight gain if you google the right phrase!

That 9 months of my life made me fat 29 years later.........it couldn't have been the massive amounts of food I was eating or all the couch sitting I did. Nope, no way.

Obesity is a complex disease and we do not know how genetics interacts with food in the earliest stages of life to set off a metabolic cascade that is very resistant to change. I grew up "addicted" to sugar and wheat. In many ways, it is similar to addiction to alcohol. Sometimes radical approaches are both beneficial and necessary to curb it. Just as a recovering alcoholic knows that he should refrain from alcohol for the rest of his life, so I believe that it is a good idea for me to stay away from sugar and wheat. I wish I'd done it years ago. The benefits have been great---and I have been off sugar for about three years (and wheat for about a year). :smile:

Having many family members who are actually alcoholics and drug addicts, I struggle with people who want to define overeating as an "addiction". That said, you're entitled to whatever dogma you need to "recover" from obesity, I suppose. I'll just stick to moderation and will power.

I do not believe that being fed formula as a baby set off a "metabolic cascade". I was a normal weight child, ate a mostly healthy diet and was physically active. I was hardly ever sick. My daughter, who is 4, was also fed formula and is now a healthy weight, active child. She is rarely sick. Given a choice, she will pick an apple over a piece of candy. We literally throw away holiday candy because she doesn't even ask for it.

I got fat because I got lazy and I ate too much food. It's that simple. But, my story is the same as yours - anecdotal. You can say you were addicted to sugar, but it's just a story about yourself that you are telling. Just like me. We're not that special.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Of course MSG causes obesity. That's why everyone is Asia is so fat.

Wait, WUT?

Between that and the carbs from all the rice, I'm surprised that Asians make up roughly 60 percent of the world's population.
    [/quote]

Well, only 20% by volume (ba-dumcheeeea)
    [/quote]

best one liner I've seen on this site so far
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    THATS why I got fat!!
    Case closed...

lol jeez...

Having many family members who are actually alcoholics and drug addicts, I struggle with people who want to define overeating as an "addiction". That said, you're entitled to whatever dogma you need to "recover" from obesity, I suppose. I'll just stick to moderation and will power.

I do not believe that being fed formula as a baby set off a "metabolic cascade". I was a normal weight child, ate a mostly healthy diet and was physically active. I was hardly ever sick. My daughter, who is 4, was also fed formula and is now a healthy weight, active child. She is rarely sick. Given a choice, she will pick an apple over a piece of candy. We literally throw away holiday candy because she doesn't even ask for it.

I got fat because I got lazy and I ate too much food. It's that simple. But, my story is the same as yours - anecdotal. You can say you were addicted to sugar, but it's just a story about yourself that you are telling. Just like me. We're not that special.

I didn't say that I WAS special, there are many stories like mine. I didn't exactly get lazy. I would never characterize myself that way--I'm not into self-loathing. I contracted gouty osteoarthritis as a teenager (a metabolic problem) along with hypothyroidism (I probably had it from early childhood) and I became less active (which compounded the disease). In addition, I was eating food that was not right for my bio-chemistry (sugar and starch). The combination of hormonal difficulties, wrong diet and lack of vigorous activity piled on the fat over the years and set my disease markers rising. I have been slowly reversing that over the last few years.

This attitude of judgment that I see often displayed here isn't really helpful for anyone. Obesity is a disease and judging the obese to be somehow morally unfit ignores the very real consequences of a lack of medical knowledge about it. Fortunately, the medical establishment is starting to research the causes instead of slapping a moralistic label on it as "a lack of willpower". I have no more willpower now than I ever had, but I am working on solving the problem of being overfat with knowledge of my body and how I can accommodate its limitations while improving my health status.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...I was a normal weight child, ate a mostly healthy diet and was physically active..."

I was not and I was sickly as well. I ate a "normal" diet, but I believe that it was likely the wrong diet for me. You need to be grateful that you were handed the genetics you were given. I wasn't as fortunate.
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    THATS why I got fat!!
    Case closed...

lol jeez...

Who ever said bring fed formula set off a metabolic cascade? Some formula fed infants are obese because they are being force-fed. As a former WIC worker in various neighborhoods, I would see mothers preoccupied with getting their infants as heavy as
    possible. Some parents always want the child to finish the bottle so nothing goes to waste. This doesn't happen in breast feeding because infants are remarkable in their ability to know exactly how much nutrition they need. Its when adults interfere with their biases that obesity and other eating disorders may occur.

There are plenty of healthy weight formula fed infants.

Now back to MSG...