Protein shake~quick survey?

Options
12346»

Replies

• writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    PWO - one scoop with water
    Any other time I tend to have with milk and a scoop of peanut butter. Yum!
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    waste of time an d calories an d wont help u lose weight or be full

:huh: Simply not true!!!
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    One scoop. Water. Rarely use milk. That's all.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    With normal whey I just drink it with milk (for taste preferences) .. Have it with water if I've already met carb needs.. I'll usually have a banana separate to replenish glycogen levels :) but I won some hydro builder from ON so I don't needa do that anymore (until I get more whey)
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options

I'd say you're making the wrong kind of shakes, then. For me, they're a quick, easy, tasty and filling way to meet my nutritional needs for the day.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    How about eat real food instead?

I'm going to quote someone that posted something previously.. This does not only respond to your statements, but other peoples' too. Please don't take it to heart but rather to mind:

"What makes people fat is not stopping supplements. It is the fact that with supplementation, training and eating correctly, your body craves more intake of proteins and carbs. When you stop supplementation, your eating habits doesn't change because it becomes second nature to eat as much as you did while training. So then you get fatter, you cant understand why but it's the eating and no training. Supplements is exactly what it is. Meant to supplement your daily intake of minerals, healthy proteins and healthy carbs. So to blame any supplement is quite retarding to say the least. All you need to do is cut down on your eating when stopping and its that simple. People lose muscle mass for various reasons and that cannot be blamed on supplementation, it is your DNA that is the ultimate factor, some people lose weight fast but pick up muscle mass slow, some are the other way around. I pick up weight fast, gain muscle mass fast, I lose fat quickly but my muscle takes looooong to lose strength and mass. Fine, you can eat all you want, I eat too. But remember that food after a serious weight training session takes long to break down and allow the kidneys to do the protein synthesis in the body. Whereas a protein shake has a very high biological value that your muscles accept it immediately. So while you eating food after you train, your body is going into dystrophy and only right at the end, your muscles maybe just accepts 20-35% protein of what you ate, maybe. Your muscles are actively begging for the protein it needs and this process has been scientifically proven to last between 30 minutes to an hour. This is not what supplement houses claim, its what science says. Yes there are many dud crap on the market, it's a process in itself besides that to find what your body utilizes best. While this line is fully halaal, science to back it up, not a few rugby coaches coming together to create their own crap. So next time you chat about supplements, maybe it would be good to do some research and not just use things. I gave more than what you asked for but this is a formal answer and anyone wanting to ask any other questions, I hope I answered it for you. Last thing, for every kilo if body weight you have, you need 2g of daily protein intake, so if you wanna eat two or three chickens a day, be my guest but I will and all other informed athletes will grow faster and better than those who don't."
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    Sorry I do have some here too but it just seems so fake when you can eat real food instead. Anyway yes each to their own but I still think going more natural is better if you can manage it.

Not quite sure why you are judging the OP's choice - last time I checked every person on MFP had a right to choose what they eat or drink - without judgement from others!!

It is clear you have no idea...... In my diary today (it is open) - you are welcome to try and judge the amount of "real food" I eat....

3 eggs = 240 calories and 21grams of protein
    130grams salmon = 452 calories and 26 grams of protein
    2 protein shakes = 194 calories and 36 grams of protein - YES - 36grams of protein

So - same as the OP I eat massive amounts of "real food" , but as it is a calorie "cheap" way to get extra protein into my diet - and frankly it is a very convenient way to get protein when one is out and about.....

And once again - judging other people's healthy choices in life is not cool

I'll drink (my ON Gold Standard Strawberry Whey, with blended ice) to this :drinker:
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Lol what. There's protein shakes that don't have protein powder.
  • xtinaaj
    xtinaaj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Two scoops of chocolate whey, 200 ml soy or skimmed milk,
    - if Im having one in the morning, 1/2 tsp expresso powder
    - sometimes I add 20 gr of spinach
  • shubjero
    shubjero Posts: 1
    Options
    For me it really depends.

Epic morning shake:
    - 1 scoop chocolate whey
    - 1 banana
    - 100g favorite yogurt
    - 1 tbsp peanut butter
    - 1 tbsp psyllium fibre
    - dash of pure vanilla extract
    - 1-1.5 cups of milk
    - ice

Blend it up, tons of calories, tons of nutrition. A good shake for when you are bulking or have a race/comp later in the day.

Daily when in weight loss mode:
    I will often have half scoop to full scoop of whey, sometimes with water, sometimes with milk, sometimes with milk/water mix.. all depending on what I think my caloric intake will be like for the rest of the day.

Also, since I consume whey protein regularly I tend to stay away from whey powders with artificial sweeteners. My top 2 favorites are BIO-X Whey complex natural (Sweetened with stevia), and ON Gold Natural (sweetened with cocoa)
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    2 scoops in water. I'll sometimes add oats. (plane jane crew checking in)
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options

:noway: Two times I have seen this post and both of them have their diaries closed. Would love to see what "real" food these two are consuming. You shouldn't be able to make such insolent comments when you don't readily make your own diary open for people to see what makes you such a know-it-all on this subject. :noway:
  • alsmomma
    alsmomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Uh, mine is real food.

When I have one I do:

Powder
    Almond milk
    Spinach
    Unsalted almond butter
    Flaxseed

This sounds really good! Do you have the nutritional breakdown on it?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm making. I put one scoop in my oatmeal int he mornings. When I make my blender smoothie for my husband and I it's two scoops.

If it's post workout and I don't feel like making a smoothie and just want protein I do one scoop in water.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    A pack of Labrada meal replacement for her (fav flavor is chocolate) and water. So thick and tasty and keeps me full for about 3 hours
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sorry I do have some here too but it just seems so fake when you can eat real food instead. Anyway yes each to their own but I still think going more natural is better if you can manage it.

Not quite sure why you are judging the OP's choice - last time I checked every person on MFP had a right to choose what they eat or drink - without judgement from others!!

It is clear you have no idea...... In my diary today (it is open) - you are welcome to try and judge the amount of "real food" I eat....

3 eggs = 240 calories and 21grams of protein
    130grams salmon = 452 calories and 26 grams of protein
    2 protein shakes = 194 calories and 36 grams of protein - YES - 36grams of protein

So - same as the OP I eat massive amounts of "real food" , but as it is a calorie "cheap" way to get extra protein into my diet - and frankly it is a very convenient way to get protein when one is out and about.....

And once again - judging other people's healthy choices in life is not cool

THIS^^^^^^
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh and hey girl, I use either coconut milk, whole milk, or vanilla almond milk. Whey protein in vanilla and whatever fruits, and veggis I have around. Also I like to add a tbsp of flax seeds. YUM!