America

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else been and just had what they want when they want and if so, how much weight did you put on?

Where I reside in the USA, to be a European size 6 is FAT. Having said that, the only enemy you will encounter in the USA that can and will succeed in making you FAT, is your very own mouth. If you DO NOT have will power and self control, then you are doomed to get FATTER no matter where you go. Good luck on your FAT loss journey. ;D

ETA: Thought to add here, that Americans are a tad high breed aka PHAT. They/we can eat A LOT and still LOSE weight. Imagine that! Check out my ticker. Just sayin' rofl
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I will take the high road and assume this is serious.

1. Welcome. Enjoy your trip.
    2. Try and eat at non-chain restaurants.
    3. If you must eat at a chain, do not eat at Olive Garden. It is an abomination.
    4. If you must eat at a chain, some Applebees are good, others stink.
    5. Use sites like TripAdvisor to see about local restaurants. Always trust the negative reviews.

If you are visiting NYC or West Palm Beach Florida, message me for recommendations.

Yeah I'm going to attempt to be somewhat helpful too, but you have to say where in America you're going.

I agree - don't eat at chain restaurants if you can avoid them. Use UrbanSpoon and/or Yelp to find good local restaurants. (But Olive Garden is definitely better than Applebees by far. Although if I had to pick a chain, I'd say Ruby Tuesday for the salad bar. I guess. If I had to pick a chain.)

If you're heading to DC, Baltimore, or anywhere in Virginia, let me know and I can recommend more places.

I've got Pennsylvania covered if thats where you are going--and after next week LA too :D (im going this week!)

Oh and I can also cover Atlanta or Savannah, Georgia. And the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever heard a conversation where people refer to any of the other nations in the Americas as America.

Person one: I'm going to America.
    Person two: Which part?
    person one: Nicaragua!

Do these conversations actually occur?
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I nominate this thread for thread of the day!
    especially because it made baby Jesus cry. Not sure if it was the 'Merkin Jesus, the North American Baby Jesus, or the little 8 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus.
    In all seriousness, check out the fries. Canada puts gravy on them and they are delicious. The United States puts ketchup, tartar sauce and mustard on them and they are just o.k. For a real treat and peek into what we eat for dinner, watch Talledega Nights. It's fan-freekin-tastic!

We put gravy and cheese curds and call it Poutine. Otherwise just Mayo, vinegar or Ketchup.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This won't end well.

I guess it will turn into an "North Americans are fat" thread. Just dumb.

North Americans ARE FAT. Were'n't we ranked the fattest country in the world? We're getting a handle on it.

It is a very odd thread though. I don't get the point of it.

Nope, most Canadians are actually ok... Mexicans too....
    Yup.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that Canada is no longer part of North America.

You are confusing the continent (North America) with the country (America).

Are you kidding me?
    Show me WHERE in an atlas is there a country called America.

Here's a great site for learning geography -
    http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I put on 322 pounds in that place- watch out. :wink:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be able to read all of this.......and this has probably already been posted....but if not:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ20YtNCZzJT1iJ_ucsH3xMGUEqaaywh0w6pmfHXuk2QLCkSAz0gw
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This won't end well.

I guess it will turn into an "North Americans are fat" thread. Just dumb.

North Americans ARE FAT. Were'n't we ranked the fattest country in the world? We're getting a handle on it.

It is a very odd thread though. I don't get the point of it.

Nope, most Canadians are actually ok... Mexicans too....

Yup. The UK has a high obesity rate then Canada. So..OP, you should probably just come to Canada. We'll welcome you with open arms! haha. I put on all my weight living in the UK. Delicious delicious beer, delicious delcious clotted cream and pasties and chips with curry/garlic sauce. Dammit! Haha
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    I HAVE READ EVERY DISGUSTING POST ON THIS THREAD...........twice.

Thank you people for making my day :laugh:
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to take the high road. If you are heading to the West Coast, let me know and I'll give you some ideas and btw- Depending on where in the country you are going to be, there are a wide variety of chains you could see - some better than others. I tend to like Applebee's over Olive Garden because they actually have salads and low calorie menu - and even decent portions. Urban Spoon and Yelp are good options (as suggested earlier) to figure out restaurants.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever heard a conversation where people refer to any of the other nations in the Americas as America.

Um... yes, especially amongst travelers.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Of course they don't. But some people love to argue about political correctness, and other people love to stubbornly defend insensitive / vague language. Hence, this thread happens.
  • doorki
    Options

interesting. I've never heard them and I spent the majority of my childhood overseas.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Really? There is not even the distinction of "The Americas" or "Central America"? I find that a little hard to believe, as I have been to South America myself and never heard the continent referred to as "America" exclusively. No one there called themselves "American", unless they were from the United States. They talked about the USA as "America", when mentioning trips they'd taken up to Florida and such. I'm not saying that's the way it SHOULD be, but that's the way it is.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that Canada is no longer part of North America.

You are confusing the continent (North America) with the country (America).

Really really need to get a geography lesson:grumble: the country which I beleive you are referring to is NOT America. It is the United States of America , U.S. for short.... there are a lot of America's......... Pan, Central, United States of .... South, and North.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

interesting. I've never heard them and I spent the majority of my childhood overseas.

I spent a year backpacking in the late 1990s and I never heard that conversation once...

I guess things have changed.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    In American English (this board's language) "America" means "United States of America."
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Anyone else wondering where the OP went? :huh:
  • doorki
    Options
    Anyone else wondering where the OP went? :huh:

To the travel agent to cancel her trip.