How margarine is made.

Options
http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/0/6/7/0/314651-307602/475114396506840395866586960268o.jpg?a=82

Eat whole unprocessed foods. This other stuff is not healthy or better for you.

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with things like margarine in moderation though. Pick the better options that are made.

While things that are less processed are obviously better, processed isn't always terrible.

Natural doesn't always equal healthy either.
  • louloubird1
    Options
    I had both butter and margarine out on the counter. Stripes (our cat) would lick the butter and leave little tongue marks on it, but NEVER the margarine. We quit eating margarine.. If the cat won't eat it, is it good for us? Besides, same number of calories either way, why not eat what tastes better.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with things like margarine in moderation though. Pick the better options that are made.

While things that are less processed are obviously better, processed isn't always terrible.

not true. margarine is made with trans fats, which are dangerous even in small amounts. (hydrogenated vegetable oils)

steer clear in every which way you can.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Uh oh....that sliver of marg on my toast is gonna end up killing me!!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    same calories, butter tastes better and is natural... seems like a no brainer to me... we recently just gave up margarine as well after years of thinking butter was the devil. Really? neither one is good in large amounts, so for the small things I'm goin natural. Time to cut out all the over processed crap.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

out of curiosity... why not just use butter? since it's better for you than margarine...?
  • NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    did you know margarine was first made to feed turkeys to fatten them up!!! But when it started killing them they had to do something else with it. So they gave it to us humans to consume and guess what SOME of US do..But NOT ME!!!
  • MeLisa1044
    MeLisa1044 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes I have switched to Butter as well. Even the cottage cheese is scary!!! The lowfat or nonfat ones. They have all kind of weird ingredients in them.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options

out of curiosity... why not just use butter? since it's better for you than margarine...?

I genuinely prefer the taste or marg
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    did you know margarine was first made to feed turkeys to fatten them up!!! But when it started killing them they had to do something else with it. So they gave it to us humans to consume and guess what SOME of US do..But NOT ME!!!

This version of events is not true. See Snopes.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I genuinely prefer the taste or marg

fair enough. it's obviously your choice! :)
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Margarine....

yummyyyy
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMM fat
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

not true. margarine is made with trans fats, which are dangerous even in small amounts. (hydrogenated vegetable oils)

Most margarine has no trans fat these days.

Not that I encourage anyone to use it. I see absolutely no point, since butter is certainly no worse for you and tastes way better.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/0/6/7/0/314651-307602/475114396506840395866586960268o.jpg?a=82

Eat whole unprocessed foods. This other stuff is not healthy or better for you.

Butter is processed, so that is out too :/
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I prefer Brummel & Brown. Spread made with yogurt.
    I'm not a "clean eater" but I won't be going back to margarine.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Most margarine has no trans fat these days.

Not that I encourage anyone to use it. I see absolutely no point, since butter is certainly no worse for you and tastes way better.

from the Cleveland Clinic:
    Trans fats have been shown to increase the "bad" cholesterol (LDL) similarly to saturated fats, and they tend to lower the "healthy" (HDL) cholesterol when eaten in large amounts. What's more – trans fats may make our blood platelets stickier. While no standard intakes of trans fat have been set, one tablespoon of stick margarine packs a whopping 3 grams of trans fat and 2 grams saturated fat.

But a little margarine "know-how" will help you reduce the amount of trans fat you eat. The more solid a margarine is at room temperature, the more trans fat it contains. For example, stick margarine contains the most trans fat, 3 grams in one tablespoon. Switch to tub or liquid margarine and you've cut that by almost 2/3, from 1–2 grams trans fat. And the good news is margarine manufacturers are now cutting their trans fat levels even further, to less than 0.5 grams per serving! This low level is allowed to carry the claim "trans fat free or zero-trans fat".

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/askdietician/margarine.aspx

Point is, just because it says "ZERO trans fat" doesn't mean there's actually zero trans fat.
  • NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    well i still wont eat it...nasty...
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    OH SWEET!!! A margarine debate complete with facts about how horrible it is and how it is made!! I was just thinking to myself, ' Man, I totally wish it were 1998 again' Then POOF!! Here we are!!
    While we're here, has anyone seen the super gross way they make McDonalds chicken nuggets? Watch out for those things!