How margarine is made.

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I had both butter and margarine out on the counter. Stripes (our cat) would lick the butter and leave little tongue marks on it, but NEVER the margarine. We quit eating margarine.. If the cat won't eat it, is it good for us? Besides, same number of calories either way, why not eat what tastes better.

I was having trouble deciding which life insurance policy to go with, so I set both packets on the counter. My cat refused to lick either of them so I spent the money on lotto tickets instead.

*I don't have a cat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Trans fats are just the new in thing they are pushing to try and sell more product, I don't know about you guys but up until a few years ago I never noticed "0 Trans fat" on potato chip bags, now it's on all of them. It's like "good fats" just trying to sell you stuff, if you eat too much fat in your diet, it's not good for you....having a tbs of margarine on your bread will not harm you!

Trans fats really are bad, even in relatively small amounts. Traditional margarine has quite a bit of trans fat.

But most oil spreads these days don't really have any trans fat.

2-5% of the fat in cows is trans fat.

So, trans fat is a very good reason to avoid products that contain trans fat. But it's easy to pick up a trans fat-free oil spread if you're into that for some reason. I personally use butter or one of the olive oil+butter combinations.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Researchers were able to access previously unpublished mortality data from a nearly five-decades-old study of 458 heart disease patients. The data revealed that while the group that switched from saturated fatty acids (ie, butter) to polyunsaturated fatty acids (in this case, safflower oil and safflower margarine) did indeed see a 13% drop in cholesterol, they were more likely to die from cardiovascular or coronary heart disease.

As the Daily Mail reports, this is the only "randomized controlled study" to look at the increased consumption of omega 6. Also known as linoleic acid, it's found in margarine made from corn, sunflower, safflower, and soybean oil and happens to be the most common PUFA found in most Western diets. The body converts it to arachidonic acid, which can ultimately spur inflammation ... which just so happens to be a leading cause of heart disease

http://www.newser.com/story/162349/actually-margarine-may-be-worse-than-butter.html
    Women who eat four or more teaspoons of margarine a day have a 50 percent greater risk of developing heart disease than women who eat margarine only once a month, according to a study published today in the British medical journal Lancet.

And women who eat large amounts of other forms of solid and semisolid vegetable fat, the equivalent of six or more teaspoons of margarine a day, increase their risk of heart disease by 70 percent. These types of vegetable fats are found in cookies, cakes and fried fast foods.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/05/us/study-links-heart-disease-to-margarine.html

Do with this information what you will

Lastly:

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Milk-and-milk-products/Country-Crock-Spreadable-Margarine--oz/5929

skim over those ingredients for me. Country Crock does indeed have partially-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

so... you done yet?

Lmao
    that's outdated research my friend. almost 20 years old.

So discredit research that contradicts my viewpoint based on when the study was performed but use a lay article based on a study that was done around the same time to support my beliefs lolololololol
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    Options
    If the cat won't eat it, is it good for us?

huh??
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    *EATS ALL TEH MARGARINE*

*dies*

Come to my funeral, guize.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    This day has not disappointed!!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I had both butter and margarine out on the counter. Stripes (our cat) would lick the butter and leave little tongue marks on it, but NEVER the margarine. We quit eating margarine.. If the cat won't eat it, is it good for us? Besides, same number of calories either way, why not eat what tastes better.
    My cat won't eat fruits, veggies, beef, legumes, soy, or any other "human" foods aside from fish and chicken.

Guess all that stuff's bad for me, huh?

Also, butter has dairy in it, which can cause serious illness in cats. Way to kill your cat, bro.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Lastly:

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Milk-and-milk-products/Country-Crock-Spreadable-Margarine--oz/5929

skim over those ingredients for me. Country Crock does indeed have partially-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

so... you done yet?

That's an old product. Country Crock hasn't made that in quite some time. Here's their current "original" spread:

347-91768.png

Note the "no hydrogenated oil" label.

Here is the full ingredient list:

Vegetable Oil Blend (Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil), Water, Whey (Milk), Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, (Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).

No hydrogenated oil. No ingredients that contain any trans fat. That means zero trans fat.

Yes, it is solid at room temperature. So is coconut oil. Being solid at room temperature does not mean it has trans fat. I've never heard that myth before, but it's an interesting one.

The soy lecithin is an emulsifier, which is why it can remain solid at room temperature.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My cat won't eat fruits, veggies, beef, legumes, soy, or any other "human" foods aside from fish and chicken.

Also, butter has dairy in it, which can cause serious illness in cats. Way to kill your cat, bro.

AFAIK, lactose is the only thing in dairy that is bad for cats. Butter has little to no lactose, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    *EATS ALL TEH MARGARINE*

*dies*

Only if my invisible cat is invited.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Lastly:

so... you done yet?

That's an old product. Country Crock hasn't made that in quite some time. Here's their current "original" spread:

347-91768.png

Vegetable Oil Blend (Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil), Water, Whey (Milk), Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, (Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).

No hydrogenated oil. No ingredients that contain any trans fat. That means zero trans fat.

Yes, it is solid at room temperature. So is coconut oil. Being solid at room temperature does not mean it has trans fat. I've never heard that myth before, but it's an interesting one.

The soy lecithin is an emulsifier, which is why it can remain solid at room temperature.

Yeah, because the fats are pretty much all unsaturated fats. Butter is solid at room temperature because it contains saturated fat, not because it contains trans fat. Same thing with coconut oil.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Lastly:

so... you done yet?

347-91768.png

if it's under .5 g, they don't have to label it as partially hydrogenated. they can call it whatever they want. check out their website - nowhere does it say there is NO trans fat! They simply say 0g of trans fat - which is the EXACT loophole we were talking about earlier.

believe what you want dude.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Here we go. Between the Margarine and Aspertame posts, never a dull moment.
    It's an FDA conspriacy to control the population.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    *EATS ALL TEH MARGARINE*

*dies*

zomg, margarine AIDS took you from me too soon!!!

*pours out some melted margarine for his dead homie, then dumps the rest on his popcorn that he's enjoying during this thread*
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    OH SWEET!!! A margarine debate complete with facts about how horrible it is and how it is made!! I was just thinking to myself, ' Man, I totally wish it were 1998 again' Then POOF!! Here we are!!
    While we're here, has anyone seen the super gross way they make McDonalds chicken nuggets? Watch out for those things!

Love it!!! Thanks for the bit of comedy!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Yes. Don't eat that stuff. Only eat what your cat eats.

My diet consists of butter, cat kibble, trash, cat vomit, and cat turds, because that's what my cat eats. Works for me, I've lost 99lbs!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that the CDC, and the Mayo clinic both recommend Margarine over butter

I looked it up.........my citing is the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/butter-vs-margarine/AN00835

quote from the Mayo Clinic

"Margarine usually tops butter when it comes to heart health.

Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats — polyunsaturated and monounsaturated — than butter is. These types of fats help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol when substituted for saturated fat.

Butter, on the other hand, is made from animal fat, so it contains cholesterol and high levels of saturated fat.
    Edited by lloydrt on Thu 03/14/13 09:15 AM
  • jonnythan
    Options
    if it's under .5 g, they don't have to label it as partially hydrogenated. they can call it whatever they want. check out their website - nowhere does it say there is NO trans fat! They simply say 0g of trans fat - which is the EXACT loophole we were talking about earlier.

believe what you want dude.

I just bought a bag of frozen broccoli. It says 0g trans fat. That means it might have up to 0.5g of trans fat! It doesn't say NO TRANS FAT!

Sheesh. Believe whatever you want, but don't lie to people. Country Crock, and many other vegetable oil spreads, have zero trans fat. In fact they have less trans fat than butter, because 2-5% of bovine fat is trans fat.

There are reasons to avoid oil spreads such as Country Crock, but trans fat content is not one of them. If you believe it contains trans fat, you are mistaken.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Out to find some margarine flavored soda...heavy on the aspartame.

kane.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdgwffKeaf1ry1utqo1_500.gif

Right-click, Save As...