How margarine is made.

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Is this one of those homeopathic things?

I mean, if even the tiniest amount of Trans-Fat exists in a substance, is it because, by the principles of homeopathy, the more you dilute something, the more powerful it becomes?
    Because if that's true, it seems that the solution would be to massively increase the amount of trans-fat until it was no longer diluted to the point of being dangerous.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The hydrogenation process starts with non hydrogenated oils. Then it goes through this process so it can stay solid at room temperature.

Yes, but most spreads these days don't have any hydrogenated oils. So it's really kind of irrelevant.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I always prefer animal products to man-made fakers.

REAL FUR and REAL LEATHER

REAL BUTTER

REAL STEAK
  • ellenkxxx
    ellenkxxx Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with things like margarine in moderation though. Pick the better options that are made.

While things that are less processed are obviously better, processed isn't always terrible.

Natural doesn't always equal healthy either.

not true. margarine is made with trans fats, which are dangerous even in small amounts. (hydrogenated vegetable oils)

steer clear in every which way you can.

This is why I don't keep 'vegetable' oils in my house. I stick to EVOO, EVCO and pure butter. Tastes better too!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'll use butter sparingly to cook with at times, but never use margarine. Always best to stick with NATURAL occurring foods.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    margarine = garbage
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The hydrogenation process starts with non hydrogenated oils. Then it goes through this process so it can stay solid at room temperature.

Yes, but most spreads these days don't have any hydrogenated oils. So it's really kind of irrelevant.
    They're (being the margarine business) finally know that trans fats are taboo and probably is going to cost them in customer loyalty going forward and new sales. The law stated that under .5g's they could claim 0 trans fats per serving, in the EU it's .2g's and in Canada also, but they can't say "no trans fats" which was and is confusing, but people (general public) are getting smarter. Now they are deluding {mixing with other liquid oils) the fully hydrogenated oils that contain no trans fats (weird but true) and other methods, like fractionating and interesterification and using palm oils. There's lots of margarines that have no trans fats now and the ones that do, will be dropped eventually, probably when their customer base drops dead.....j/k:happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    if it's under .5 g, they don't have to label it as partially hydrogenated. they can call it whatever they want. check out their website - nowhere does it say there is NO trans fat! They simply say 0g of trans fat - which is the EXACT loophole we were talking about earlier.

believe what you want dude.

I just bought a bag of frozen broccoli. It says 0g trans fat. That means it might have up to 0.5g of trans fat! It doesn't say NO TRANS FAT!

Sheesh. Believe whatever you want, but don't lie to people. Country Crock, and many other vegetable oil spreads, have zero trans fat. In fact they have less trans fat than butter, because 2-5% of bovine fat is trans fat.

There are reasons to avoid oil spreads such as Country Crock, but trans fat content is not one of them. If you believe it contains trans fat, you are mistaken.

See, this confused me. *If* trans fats are the reasons for avoiding marg like CC, and even if there was a tinsy amount in CC, which there is not, then:

0.4999999% < 2 - 3%, so why pick butter over marg for that reason as it would be illogical (which is what I know you are saying but it seems to be being missed with the 0.00000% v 0.4999999% debate).

Or am I missing something here?
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    one word: BUTTER

mmmm mmmmm goooood! :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    if it's under .5 g, they don't have to label it as partially hydrogenated. they can call it whatever they want. check out their website - nowhere does it say there is NO trans fat! They simply say 0g of trans fat - which is the EXACT loophole we were talking about earlier.

I just bought a bag of frozen broccoli. It says 0g trans fat. That means it might have up to 0.5g of trans fat! It doesn't say NO TRANS FAT!

Sheesh. Believe whatever you want, but don't lie to people. Country Crock, and many other vegetable oil spreads, have zero trans fat. In fact they have less trans fat than butter, because 2-5% of bovine fat is trans fat.

There are reasons to avoid oil spreads such as Country Crock, but trans fat content is not one of them. If you believe it contains trans fat, you are mistaken.

See, this confused me. *If* trans fats are the reasons for avoiding marg like CC, and even if there was a tinsy amount in CC, which there is not, then:

0.4999999% < 2 - 3%, so why pick butter over marg for that reason as it would be illogical (which is what I know you are saying but it seems to be being missed with the 0.00000% v 0.4999999% debate).

Well you seem to be confusing % and grams a little bit, but yeah. Butter has some quantity of trans fat, but not enough to label... and at worst margarine brand x might have some, but not enough to label. So deciding between them based on trans fat content is silly.

There are better reasons to prefer butter over margarine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Well you seem to be confusing % and grams a little bit, but yeah. Butter has some quantity of trans fat, but not enough to label... and at worst margarine brand x might have some, but not enough to label. So deciding between them based on trans fat content is silly.

oop - yep :blushing: ...but you got my point, or I got yours...either way. :smile:
  • neanderthin
    Options

Don't confuse partially hydrogenated polyunsaturated fat aka trans fats with natural trans fats also known as conjugated linoleic acid CLA. Nobody has mentioned that, so I thought I would.:smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Don't confuse partially hydrogenated polyunsaturated fat aka trans fats with natural trans fats also known as conjugated linoleic acid CLA. Nobody has mentioned that, so I thought I would.:smile:

I my confusion with g & %, I missed that butter = CLA. Presumably there is no partially hydrogenated polyunsaturated fat in butter...correct?
  • neanderthin
    Options

I my confusion with g & %, I missed that butter = CLA. Presumably there is no partially hydrogenated polyunsaturated fat in butter...correct?
    Just a general statement Sara. It seemed nobody was making the distinction between the man made and natural trans fats and it would be a shame that people thought that dairy and some meat having natural trans fats would be something derogatory. Probably should have just made the statement without a quote, but I thought it would get lost and pinned it on a post that was talking about the two. And nope, no partially hydrogenated poly oils butter. :happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Just a general statement Sara. It seemed nobody was making the distinction between the man made and natural trans fats and it would be a shame that people thought that dairy and some meat having natural trans fats would be something derogatory. Probably should have just made the statement without a quote, but I thought it would get lost and pinned it on a post that was talking about the two. And nope, no partially hydrogenated poly oils butter. :happy:

Thanks - I know you know your fats so wanted to check.
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse the issue by bringing actual science into it!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Don't confuse the issue by bringing actual science into it!
    That journalistic piece from a mayo nutritionist sounds like ancient sandcript from a parallel universe, or from 1980, don't know which.:wink:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    butter gets too hard in the fridge. i prefer that soft, spreadable deliciousness of country crock.
    *insert musical jingle here*

Actually, if you have a butter dish, it can be left out at room temp. We only refrigerate our butter prior to using it. Once it's out of the wrapper, it goes in the dish. Nice and smooth every time. (and no, it doesn't go bad - at least not in the few days it takes for us to use it).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    BUTTER IS JUST THE BEST !!!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i use bacon fat anyway... tastes even better than butter. :P