How margarine is made.

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with things like margarine in moderation though. Pick the better options that are made.

While things that are less processed are obviously better, processed isn't always terrible.

Natural doesn't always equal healthy either.

not true. margarine is made with trans fats, which are dangerous even in small amounts. (hydrogenated vegetable oils)

steer clear in every which way you can.

Most margarine has no trans fat these days.

Not that I encourage anyone to use it. I see absolutely no point, since butter is certainly no worse for you and tastes way better.

from the Cleveland Clinic:
    Trans fats have been shown to increase the "bad" cholesterol (LDL) similarly to saturated fats, and they tend to lower the "healthy" (HDL) cholesterol when eaten in large amounts. What's more – trans fats may make our blood platelets stickier. While no standard intakes of trans fat have been set, one tablespoon of stick margarine packs a whopping 3 grams of trans fat and 2 grams saturated fat.

But a little margarine "know-how" will help you reduce the amount of trans fat you eat. The more solid a margarine is at room temperature, the more trans fat it contains. For example, stick margarine contains the most trans fat, 3 grams in one tablespoon. Switch to tub or liquid margarine and you've cut that by almost 2/3, from 1–2 grams trans fat. And the good news is margarine manufacturers are now cutting their trans fat levels even further, to less than 0.5 grams per serving! This low level is allowed to carry the claim "trans fat free or zero-trans fat".

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/askdietician/margarine.aspx

Point is, just because it says "ZERO trans fat" doesn't mean there's actually zero trans fat.

That doesn't mean that there is trans fat in it. Take, for example, Country Crock. It does not contain any hydrogenated oils and contains zero trans fat.

And you may be interested to find out that butter does have trans fat in it. Trans fat is naturally occurring in beef and dairy.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with things like margarine in moderation though. Pick the better options that are made.

While things that are less processed are obviously better, processed isn't always terrible.

not true. margarine is made with trans fats, which are dangerous even in small amounts. (hydrogenated vegetable oils)

Bwahaha I wish I could subscribe to your posts!!!! They always make a dull day more entertaining!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Not that I encourage anyone to use it. I see absolutely no point, since butter is certainly no worse for you and tastes way better.

Trans fats have been shown to increase the "bad" cholesterol (LDL) similarly to saturated fats, and they tend to lower the "healthy" (HDL) cholesterol when eaten in large amounts. What's more – trans fats may make our blood platelets stickier. While no standard intakes of trans fat have been set, one tablespoon of stick margarine packs a whopping 3 grams of trans fat and 2 grams saturated fat.

But a little margarine "know-how" will help you reduce the amount of trans fat you eat. The more solid a margarine is at room temperature, the more trans fat it contains. For example, stick margarine contains the most trans fat, 3 grams in one tablespoon. Switch to tub or liquid margarine and you've cut that by almost 2/3, from 1–2 grams trans fat. And the good news is margarine manufacturers are now cutting their trans fat levels even further, to less than 0.5 grams per serving! This low level is allowed to carry the claim "trans fat free or zero-trans fat".

Point is, just because it says "ZERO trans fat" doesn't mean there's actually zero trans fat.

That doesn't mean that there is trans fat in it. Take, for example, Country Crock. It does not contain any hydrogenated oils and contains zero trans fat.

And you may be interested to find out that butter does have trans fat in it. Trans fat is naturally occurring in beef and dairy.

i'm aware of that - much lower amounts however.

and if it's solid at room temp, there are trans fats in it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Bwahaha I wish I could subscribe to your posts!!!! They always make a dull day more entertaining!

i'm sorry your days are so dull.... :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Much lower amounts than the zero found in most "margarine" prdocuts?

It's actually tough to find real "margarine". Most of the things people talk about as "margarine" are actually various oil spreads. Country Crock, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, etc, don't have hydrogenated oils. Some spreads do, but typically rather small amounts.

The point is that most of these "spreads" on the market don't have more trans fat than actual butter, so that's not a valid reason to avoid them. There are other, better reasons to avoid them.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

It's actually tough to find real "margarine". Most of the things people talk about as "margarine" are actually various oil spreads. Country Crock, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, etc, don't have hydrogenated oils. Some spreads do, but typically rather small amounts.

The point is that most of these "spreads" on the market don't have more trans fat than actual butter, so that's not a valid reason to avoid them. There are other, better reasons to avoid them.

you completely ignored the quote that says it just has to be under .5 grams/ serving to be allowed to SAY "zero"

doesn't mean there is actually ZERO trans fat! come on dude. silly argument you're starting. but what's new....

EDIT: and again, if they're solid at room temp, they've got some trans fats in them.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    butter gets too hard in the fridge. i prefer that soft, spreadable deliciousness of country crock.
    *insert musical jingle here*
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'll keep eating it because butter without salt is pretty pointless to me. At least I can get some salt in my Becel.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options

you completely ignored the quote that says it just has to be under .5 grams/ serving to be allowed to SAY "zero"

doesn't mean there is actually ZERO trans fat! come on dude. silly argument you're starting. but what's new....

EDIT: and again, if they're solid at room temp, they've got some trans fats in them.

If you have a good overall diet and you exercise, a little trans fat won't harm you in anyway!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Most of these spreads have literally zero trans fat, because they contain zero hydrogenated oils.

Let me repeat: Country Crock, as an example, has no hydrogenated oil and zero trans fat. Not "0g but may be 0.45g." I mean zero grams. That's even less than the naturally-occurring trans fat that's in butter.

So "trans fat" is not a valid reason to avoid spreads that don't contain any trans fat.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Most of these spreads have literally zero trans fat, because they contain zero hydrogenated oils.

Let me repeat: Country Crock, as an example, has no hydrogenated oil and zero trans fat. Not "0g but may be 0.45g." I mean zero grams. That's even less than the naturally-occurring trans fat that's in butter.

So "trans fat" is not a valid reason to avoid spreads that don't contain any trans fat.

wow. prove it. just because it says "zero" on the label doesn't mean it's true. again... read the friggin cleveland clinic article. lol
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oh, like coconut oil?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie foods actually have more than zero calories!

There is legally allowable limits of how much cockroach remains are allowed in coffee!

Nothing is safe!!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I tried butter... I hate butter... I will stick to my little bit of margarine on my toast when I have it - I am sure 2 tsps every now and then is not going to kill me..
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options

wow. prove it. just because it says "zero" on the label doesn't mean it's true. again... read the friggin cleveland clinic article. lol

You prove your side!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Look at the label. "No hydrogenated oil." It's a blend of regular vegetable oils, salt, and some stabilizers and emulsifiers.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Researchers were able to access previously unpublished mortality data from a nearly five-decades-old study of 458 heart disease patients. The data revealed that while the group that switched from saturated fatty acids (ie, butter) to polyunsaturated fatty acids (in this case, safflower oil and safflower margarine) did indeed see a 13% drop in cholesterol, they were more likely to die from cardiovascular or coronary heart disease.

As the Daily Mail reports, this is the only "randomized controlled study" to look at the increased consumption of omega 6. Also known as linoleic acid, it's found in margarine made from corn, sunflower, safflower, and soybean oil and happens to be the most common PUFA found in most Western diets. The body converts it to arachidonic acid, which can ultimately spur inflammation ... which just so happens to be a leading cause of heart disease

http://www.newser.com/story/162349/actually-margarine-may-be-worse-than-butter.html
    Women who eat four or more teaspoons of margarine a day have a 50 percent greater risk of developing heart disease than women who eat margarine only once a month, according to a study published today in the British medical journal Lancet.

And women who eat large amounts of other forms of solid and semisolid vegetable fat, the equivalent of six or more teaspoons of margarine a day, increase their risk of heart disease by 70 percent. These types of vegetable fats are found in cookies, cakes and fried fast foods.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/05/us/study-links-heart-disease-to-margarine.html

Do with this information what you will

Lastly:

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Milk-and-milk-products/Country-Crock-Spreadable-Margarine--oz/5929

skim over those ingredients for me. Country Crock does indeed have partially-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

so... you done yet?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I tried butter... I hate butter... I will stick to my little bit of margarine on my toast when I have it - I am sure 2 tsps every now and then is not going to kill me..

You get out of here!

You take your logic and get out of here!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Lastly:

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Milk-and-milk-products/Country-Crock-Spreadable-Margarine--oz/5929

skim over those ingredients for me. Country Crock does indeed have partially-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

so... you done yet?

That's an old product. Country Crock hasn't made that in quite some time. Here's their current "original" spread:

347-91768.png

Note the "no hydrogenated oil" label.

Here is the full ingredient list:

Vegetable Oil Blend (Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil), Water, Whey (Milk), Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, (Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).

No hydrogenated oil. No ingredients that contain any trans fat. That means zero trans fat.

Yes, it is solid at room temperature. So is coconut oil. Being solid at room temperature does not mean it has trans fat. I've never heard that myth before, but it's an interesting one.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options
    Trans fats are just the new in thing they are pushing to try and sell more product, I don't know about you guys but up until a few years ago I never noticed "0 Trans fat" on potato chip bags, now it's on all of them. It's like "good fats" just trying to sell you stuff, if you eat too much fat in your diet, it's not good for you....having a tbs of margarine on your bread will not harm you!