8 Cups of water a day... HOW?!

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

, than someone that eats a diet high in processed foods.

Some processed foods are pretty high in water, as some 'unprocessed' foods are pretty low.

I've looked in to this a fair bit in the past - if anyone's got any research handy that contradicts it, I'd loved to see it as I couldn't find it when I looked before!

I'm talking mostly about processed snacks like chips, crackers, that kind of crap. Clearly someone who eats an apple or cucumber for a snack is going to get in more water from that food than someone that eats chips instead.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 cups of water between breakfast and lunch, then between lunch and dinner, then another 3 at dinner.
    Then 2 at the gym, and that doesn't include my 'watered down' hot chocolate mix I make (about 6 cups of water)

I can pack the fluid in!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    A cup = 8 ounces, it is not a gallon 8x. It is totally doable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I drink between 12-16+ a day depending on my calorie burn. Usually at least 4 during a 60 minute workout alone. It's 0 calories, fills you up so you eat less crap. Yep, I do hit the bathroom a lot but I'd rather not gain weight. =) Also, if your urine is a very light yellow, no worries. It should NOT be dark, at all. If it is, you are not drinking enough. As an adult you should get at least 8 a day.

sooooo if you don't drink water you gain weight? Curious about this....
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    One 23 ounce bottle of smart water, 2 16 ounces of deer park bottled water and i glad of water as son as i wake up. That's what i do. Its not exactly 8 cups, but its close
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I drink 16ounces when I wake up. I drink 16 after breakfast, at lunch, midday, at dinner, and then if I work out I usually consume 32+ ounces. It really helps in weight loss. There are times when I know I am not hungry but in need of hydration. Before my lifestyle changes I mistook my needing water for being hungry. Keep at it and you will reach at least 8 glasses a day.

^this is me too. I manage my hunger much better because i am drinking a 12 to 15 cups a day. like someone else said...i drink cups before leaving the house, one when i first wake up and one before i get out the door. then i drink 2 cups between breakfast and lunch....2 more while i workout at lunch and 2 to 4 more with lunch and after mid afternoon break. by the time i get home before i eat i down another glass and refill it to drink while i eat....and then i get another 1 or 2 depending if i feel hunger coming on or if right about to go to bed and my bladder is empty.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to do this was to drink from a water bottle worked out how many I need to consume before the end of the day to get my recommended amount of water each day.

So with mine I drink 1 bottle before 12pm and then refill and sip for the rest of the day. I think it is easier working in an office job now i constantly sit at my desk all day sipping water while I'm doing things.

I know some other people have a jug and they aim to drink the entire jug by the end of the day.

I suppose it also helps if you like water if you don't slice of lime in it won't hurt you.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I drink between 12-16+ a day depending on my calorie burn. Usually at least 4 during a 60 minute workout alone. It's 0 calories, fills you up so you eat less crap. Yep, I do hit the bathroom a lot but I'd rather not gain weight. =) Also, if your urine is a very light yellow, no worries. It should NOT be dark, at all. If it is, you are not drinking enough. As an adult you should get at least 8 a day.

sooooo if you don't drink water you gain weight? Curious about this....

well, if you don't drink water whatever else you drink even if zero calories leads people to eat more...i stopped all my other drinks since joining mfp and the result was 40 lbs lost in 75 days...so the care for water helping with weight loss while everything else doesn't help is pretty strong from where i stand.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Keep water.. everywhere. I have a bottle by my bed, a bottle at my desk, a bottle in the car, a bottle in my purse, etc. Wherever I am, it's nearby. It reminds me to drink more. If you find you just don't want to re-fill bottles, get a huge one that's 64 ounces or close to it. Finish the bottle, and you're done!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I usually hit about 9 cups a day, more in summer. I have a 24oz water bottle (actually I have several, so they have a chance to get washed :tongue: ) from Contigo - leakproof and it goes everywhere I go. In the car, bedside, around the house, etc. I've gotten into the habit of drinking at least 16oz before I get my first cup of coffee, otherwise I just sit and sip coffee all morning and suddenly it's noon and all I've had is coffee. I still drink my two cups of coffee every morning, but water goes down first, and I just keep drinking all day long.

I don't drink soda (well, rarely), sometimes iced tea (unsweetened) or an iced coffee in the afternoon, but mostly it's water all day long.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Buy a reusable waterbottle. Those hold around 2.5-4 cups. My camelback holds 2.5 cups. I fill it up three times a week.
  • SaloMousa
    SaloMousa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Get a bottle, and just do it is that simple
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I drink between 1 and 3 gallons of water a day.

That's 16 to 48 cups per day.

I carry a gallon jug around with me at almost all times. I refill it when empty.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This used to trip me up until I realized. 8 cups didn't mean 8 random glasses from your cabinet. It means 8 measuring CUPS. That's not too bad. That being said, I need to do better. I hate water, but lemon helps.
  • dawnkryger1
    dawnkryger1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I drink 16ounces when I wake up. I drink 16 after breakfast, at lunch, midday, at dinner, and then if I work out I usually consume 32+ ounces. It really helps in weight loss. There are times when I know I am not hungry but in need of hydration. Before my lifestyle changes I mistook my needing water for being hungry. Keep at it and you will reach at least 8 glasses a day.

You look great !!
  • bradley8161984
    Options
    Pace it out. I drink about a gallon and a half a day. When you drink it consistently your body will start to absorb it more and you won't have to pee every 10 minutes. Start with 2 glasses in the morning and space it out. Also if it's room temperature it's usually easier to drink and actually hydrates you more. Good luck
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I drink between 1 and 3 gallons of water a day.

That's 16 to 48 cups per day.

I carry a gallon jug around with me at almost all times. I refill it when empty.

That is 128 to 384 oz of water a day.

I lost a ton of weight round my midsection. I attribute a big part of not having loose skin there to my constant high water intake.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, it takes time to form habit. At first, it's an effort, but after a while you get used to it. I went from almost never drinking water to drinking 10-12 cups a day. I can tell the difference the next day if I don't get that much. But I had to force myself to create the habit.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You just get used to the gotta go feeling and it just becomes a part of life.. I have a water container that I fill up several times a day.. if you fill that up twice, you have your minimum 8-9 cups of water easy.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If you drink constantly all day it isn't hard at all - I constantly fill up my water bottle all day, so I end up drinking much more than 8 cups.