8 Cups of water a day... HOW?!

Options

Replies

• MustLoveCoupons
    Options
    Personally, I just drink two-three cups of water with three of my meals. I've never had a problem.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I fill up 4 20oz bottles every morning and bring them to work with me. I always drink at least 3 while at work. Normally all 4 by the time I get home. That is about all I drink anymore. Water is the best thing for your body anyways. And it took me some time to get here too. As I really never liked just plain water. I just do not let myself buy anything else to drink, so I drink the water that is with me already......
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Pace it out. I drink about a gallon and a half a day. When you drink it consistently your body will start to absorb it more and you won't have to pee every 10 minutes. Start with 2 glasses in the morning and space it out. Also if it's room temperature it's usually easier to drink and actually hydrates you more. Good luck

This ^^^
  • MTBBilly
    MTBBilly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you like to be exact there is a water bottle that tracks your water intake. Its a bit expensive at ~$20 but it will let you know exactly where your water consumption is. Of course any fluids you take in outside of the bottle will not be tracked. The name of the bottle is Hydrocoach. I am an engininerd so I like the exact numbers of the digital display.

:huh:

The $2.60 rubbermaid one does that too. There are 8 oz increments marked on the bottle.

$20 for a bottle that reads the number to you? Wow.

It does a lot more than just show you your intake, but that is the largest number on the screen. It does hourly intake calculations based on your weight and activity level......Like is said as an enginerd it provides precise numbers, which adds a bit of enjoyment to my OCD.
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Once your body gets used to the increase in water intake you wont have to pee nearly as much.

Mine never did.

Me neither. I pee ALL the time. But, I figure it's helping get my steps in too!

I was miserable. I could not get through an hour meeting at work without jiggling and spinning in my chair, hoping I wouldn't pee my pants. It was really distracting, annoying, and sometimes painful.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Something else to note: that 8 cups a day doesn't have to be all water.

Got this exert from the National Hydration Council Website
    http://naturalhydrationcouncil.org.uk/hydration-facts/faqs-on-hydration/

"The European Food Safety Authority’s scientific experts recommend an intake of 2.5 litres of water for men and 2.0 litres of water for women per day, via food and drink consumption [1] This is supported by the Department of Health who recommends that we should drink 6-8 glasses of fluid per day [2] Of this, they suggest that 70-80% of the daily water intake should come from drinks, and the remaining 20-30% should come from food. Water is the only fluid you need to hydrate as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle. Drinking water instead of drinks that contain calories is also one way to reduce calorie intake."

Just remember that some people may need more water (or less) water than others, children need a bit less, men need a bit more, though you generally need more when you exercise or are dealing with hot environments. There is no "one size fits all" for this stuff, but its good to try and keep up with the 6 - 8 glasses bit. Unless you're drinking a gallon every 5 minutes, going over isn't going to kill you, no calories and what not.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    I never used to be able to, but then I got a pretty water bottle that I don't mind carrying with me. Also, lemon makes a huge difference if you don't like just tap water or if the water is terrible at work/home.

And yeah, you'll pee all the time at first! But then the body figures out what's happening and starts actually hydrating. (Although I still have to go every time I have a break in classes or work. It just feels less urgent.)
  • crem8or
    crem8or Posts: 2
    Options
    tea and coffee count as water but as long as its decaf
  • dulcemiel
    dulcemiel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from, when I'm on (exercise and diet etc) water isn't as much of a problem for me because between workouts and drinking during meals I usually have no problem. When I'm not I forget about drinking. I go by the color of your pee, and half of your body weight in ounces.
    Like others have said, you pee a lot in the beginning and your body does regulate as you continue to hydrate.

Get yourself a cool water bottle I just bought one from www.myspawater.com and I have to tell you I love it. Its a great shape keeps water cold or hot (for tea) it has two strainers in it so you can add fruit. Current favorite is one strawberry and lemon wedges. YUM!!! Plain water can get old after a bit. It also comes with lots of recipes. Good luck.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I drink my first when I wake--even before brushing my teeth, then I make myself have another before I have coffee, and finally I have a third when I am taking my vitamins. So that is an additional 3 before lunch and you are well on your way to having 8, 9, or 10.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    8 oz for every 25 lbs body weight.
    Also recently read an study (from cornell I think) saying it's okay to count coffee as water... Caffiene DOES NOT DEHYDRATE you it just hydrates you marginally less effectively.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never understood how people can't drink 8 glasses a day. I know 8 glasses is an arbitrary number and everyone had different needs etc etc, but I've always had to drink SO MUCH to stay hydrated. That's like... 80% of the reason I was fat as a child- all I drank was soda and I could go through 2-3 glasses at dinner time alone.

I think it also helps that I take a water bottle everywhere with me. Some water is always within arm's reach. I have a 32oz Nalgene that I usually drink at least one of a day, and I have an 12 or 18 oz tumbler cup that I always have with me around the house.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    2 cups at breakfast. Then at work I have a 24 oz water bottle that I fill (& drink) once in the morning & once in the afternoon.

8 cups of water, done.

That's on a normal day. If I've had too much sodium recently that water bottle gets filled & emptied 3 or 4 times over the course of my workday.
  • JazzyLeeTheBee
    JazzyLeeTheBee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A big thanks to the bottled water sponsored nanny state. Gosh, I wonder if I should wear a coat and hat when it is cold? I better scan my radio for a public service announcement.

For most people this is an unnecessary rule. First it should say 8 cups of liquids (water being an obvious low calorie source). If someone drinks 2 cups of orange juice, 6 cups of coffee, a bowl of soup and 3 sodas.... then whoops I haven't had my 8 cups of water yet... you may be overworking things. And it's a bit of over thinking as well. We get thirsty when dehydrated. Drinking enough before and after activities to avoid getting parched is about all the thinking necessary.

For those with unusual thirst or drinking habits, maybe the 8 cups intake standard is a good general gauge as to whether they should see a doctor.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • JazzyLeeTheBee
    JazzyLeeTheBee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually going overboard with water CAN kill you. Most such deaths are related to water drinking contests or intensive exercise that requires re-hydrating to the point of dilutional hyponatremia that upsets the balance of electrolytes with potentially fatal failure of brain functions.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's only like 2 liters. I find continually drinking water most of the day boosts my brain power a lot. It's nearly replaced coffee in my day to day
  • lejla2002
    lejla2002 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    three hours and i had my 16.9fl oz x2 already and counting
  • jenniferb_00
    Options
    I can manage about 10-14 cups on days i work out. And when i dont I can still find time for about 8.
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I drink between 12-14 glasses a day...not really glasses though. I have a great big water bottle that I take everywhere with me. It holds 40 ounces and I refill it during the day. I drink one big glass with lemon juice first thing in the morning to get my metabolism going and start my day. I drink it all day long. Once you start drinking, you will start wanting more. I was told by a dietician the reason that they recommend drinking water is your cells are made up mostly of water. They like being round and plump. If you are dehydrated...thirsty...they become flat. In order to stay round and plump, they will suck in fat. They will hold onto the fat because again, they like being round and plump. So when you are trying to lose fat, it is important to give your body enough water to fill those cells up so they will let go of their fat. Made sense to me. I have lost 17 inches over the last six months. I don't lose weight easily, but I do lose fat and I thank my water for that.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I attempt to get 100oz of water in a day.... i have a 20 oz bottle/cup with me at work at all times and just sipping throughout the day usually gets me about 60 oz... then when i go home i drink another and then 2-3 more full ones after working out throughout the course of the night...

i don't drink pop/soda or tea unless i'm sick.... i have one glass of milk in the morning and one large coffee when i get to work...

i find that if i get less thatn 60oz of water in a day i feel very dehydrated and tend to get a migraine....