15 year age difference in dating.

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It makes a lot of difference when you're younger, but not when you're both over 30. I had a very fun relationship with a man 16 years younger than me. Enjoy!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    My wife is 14 months older than I am. It has certainly caused complications because of things she's lived through that I haven't, and we don't always see eye to eye because of it. But the important thing is that we're zodiologically compatible and that transcends age. You can be any distance in years apart as long as you don't try to stick your Taurus in a Virgo.

With love,
    Burt
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    My bf of 10 years is 14 years older than me. It's worked so far. :)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    My wife is 14 months older than I am. It has certainly caused complications because of things she's lived through that I haven't, and we don't always see eye to eye because of it. But the important thing is that we're zodiologically compatible and that transcends age. You can be any distance in years apart as long as you don't try to stick your Taurus in a Virgo.

With love,
    Burt

I thought you didn't see eye to eye because your wife is taller than you? :laugh:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    enjoy it...you want the same things....so that's the most important thing.

you say the age doesn't bother you, yet you are asking if the age should bother you.

does it really not bother you?

when I was 25 I dated a 54 year old. We had a fantastic time and an epic 2 year relationship. It was phenomenal.

and we only parted ways because he wanted to retire and and sail the world. whereas I had just finished my academic career and wanted a professional career. it wasn't about commitment it was about life choices.

He's now sailing the world and I'm enjoying working up the ladder. but we had a great two years.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I usually date men older than me. It's more relaxed and less drama/tantrums.

Women I tend to date around my age range. But they are generally more mature than men (wild generalisation, I know!)
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My gf is 11 years older than me :) We're getting married next year.
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 15 years older then me I'm 27 he's 42 he love each other and are happy that's all that matters. Age is just a number. As for the looks maybe they're just jealous don't worry to much about it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

wait! was one of you 4 years old when you started dating? because that would be wrong. :noway:

ETA: doublechecking my math... 14 - 10 = 4... ummm.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My best friend is 26 and her husband is 39 and honestly they are perfect for each other, love each other and are great people. Age is just a number, just like color, gender, nationality...none of that is relevant to be in love!
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Go for it...sounds like you are both ok with the age difference. Enjoy!!!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Age doesn't matter my friend. If you like her and she likes you then that is all that matters.
    My boyfriend is 14 years younger then I am and I could really care less. We are perfect for each other and love one another more than anything. Go for it!!!!
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 8 years apart. No, that isn't so big when you first think about it...but let me add...

When we met, he was 19, and I was 27 and had a 5 year old son. Talk about age/life differences. But, here we are almost 6 years later, happily married, and have a son together, and my now-almost-11-year-old loves him.

I know of an incredibly happy couple that is 21 years apart. They met because the wife was originally dating the son. That didn't work, then about 10 years later, her and the 'dad' ran into each other, and they fell in love. They have been married for 22 years now.

Age is literally just a number (not counting minors, that is a different topic). You are two adults, secure in who you are, and what you want, and where you want to go in life. F&*#^ what the rest of people say. Do what makes YOU happy. You never know, maybe you found your soul mate. =)
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience and observations, age is really only important when one person in the relationship has much more dating/sexual experience than the other. I think by the time you're 30 and 46, those things don't necessarily have a big impact anymore because both people (presumably) have a lot of experience playing the field and know exactly what they want in a partner.

I say, go for it! If it works for everyone then I don't see a problem. At 30 years old you may change your mind about kids one day yet so I would have that conversation up front as to whether or not she'd be open in the future to adopting or some other circumstance that could conceivably have you being parents together.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have heard the rule for creepiness cut-off is half your age plus 7. ("Your" being the older party) Sooo.... 46 / 2 = 23; 23 + 7 = 30 You are borderline but good to go! :bigsmile:

PS - this is not *my* rule, and if it doesn't work for some of the relationships on here but you are a happy couple then please ignore and I am very happy for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to just roll with it and see where it ends up.

With the younger woman/older man relationships on here, did the future ever scare you?

When you're 25 and your partner is 40, it doesn't seem like it would matter too much. But, it seems that might become a bigger deal when your partner gets older and older.

This is just something you have to make sure you're ok with now incase it does get serious. Do you want kids/more kids of your own? Are you willing to "take" care of her if needed when you're older like 60 and 75? Just things to think about.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

wait! was one of you 4 years old when you started dating? because that would be wrong. :noway:

ETA: doublechecking my math... 14 - 10 = 4... ummm.
    Where did you come to the conclusion that one of them was 4 when they started dating...? o.O
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is just something you have to make sure you're ok with now incase it does get serious. Do you want kids/more kids of your own? Are you willing to "take" care of her if needed when you're older like 60 and 75? Just things to think about.

There are plenty of people, young and old, that have to make these decisions every day. Using one example, I have a military friend that came back and is now in a wheelchair. I know a girl from high school that was in a car accident that can no longer use most of her body. I watched an accident victim and her husband (a few years apart) find out that she not only would be in a wheelchair forever, but had to have a hysterectomy because the steering wheel of the car she was in crushed her insides (I'm a paramedic). All of their spouses had to make the decision to stand by their loved ones and take care of them. My husband is active duty now, and is almost 25 (as stated in previous post). I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if ANYTHING happened to him, I would take care of him. And he would do the same for me, and has. Look at Christopher Reeves. His wife stood by him, took care of him until death, after he was thrown from a horse. He wasn't 'old', nor was she. My mamaw took care of my papaw while he was dying (they were 3 years apart) she lived for 15 more years after that, and was buried still wearing her ring. Age doesn't matter. We only live one life, and it can change in a moments notice.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

There are plenty of people, young and old, that have to make these decisions every day. Using one example, I have a military friend that came back and is now in a wheelchair. I know a girl from high school that was in a car accident that can no longer use most of her body. I watched an accident victim and her husband (a few years apart) find out that she not only would be in a wheelchair forever, but had to have a hysterectomy because the steering wheel of the car she was in crushed her insides (I'm a paramedic). All of their spouses had to make the decision to stand by their loved ones and take care of them. My husband is active duty now, and is almost 25 (as stated in previous post). I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if ANYTHING happened to him, I would take care of him. And he would do the same for me, and has. Look at Christopher Reeves. His wife stood by him, took care of him until death, after he was thrown from a horse. He wasn't 'old', nor was she. My mamaw took care of my papaw while he was dying (they were 3 years apart) she lived for 15 more years after that, and was buried still wearing her ring. Age doesn't matter. We only live one life, and it can change in a moments notice.

Yep, agree. There are no guarantees in life. You just never know what may happen down the road.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have heard the rule for creepiness cut-off is half your age plus 7...

Not sure that would work. I am 35, so by the math it says a 24.5 year old would be ok. Haven't met that many mature 24 year old women!! I am sure they are out there, but few and far between. Not enough to call that "rule" ok in most cases!

To the OP: you said yourself that you had a great time together and the dating schedule is perfect for you both. What's the problem? It's not like you are committing to marriage or anything yet. Just take it easy and see how it goes.