Are your workouts age-appropriate?

Options

Replies

• funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This British man has been in our News a lot, and recently completed his final 10K race, aged 101 years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21564489

He has ran Marathons in past couple of years. I would be happy to manage a 10K in my lifetime let alone a Marathon.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have slowed down only because one knee is bad and the other knee is shot. Under the bottom of BOTH feet - heel spurs and ball of foot pain.
    Oh, I get constant plantar fasciitis in my heel and metatarsalgia in the ball of my feet, so I can't walk safely on any bit! They go away when I run, though. The doctor's first question was , "Do you wear heels a lot?" Err, no..
  • BerryH
    Options
    Anyway, this thread was inspired by feeling sorry for myself (and very, very old!) as I'm recovering from bronchitis. Inspired by all your comments, I dug out Leslie Sansone (suitable for middle-aged ladies like myself :wink: ) last night and will ramp it up back to my speedier DVDs, running and lifting over the next week or so.

Thanks all :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    Options
    I present to you: Jon Bon Jovi, 51 years old. Ad for Versace.

Pretty sure he doesn't think about his age when he works out.

2411hjo.jpg
    Helloooooo nurse! Well, that helped me reach my max HR without doing any HIIT :laugh: Jonbon's certainly age-appropriate for me :love:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and train much harder than I did in my 20's...and will continue to do so.

Most of the ladies doing Crossfit at my gym are about 45...and they do some serious stuff.

I won't stop until I can't do it anymore! I figure, the better shape I stay in, the better my bones will be later on in life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Breaking a hip? Are you in poor health??

I've upped my workouts over the years.

I am 48.
    Currently I lift a few times a week (lately I've been doing stronglifts, for something new to do), and I run 5-10k a few times a week. I commute to work either on my bike or walking.
    We ski in the winter (and just started focusing on bumps) and cycle in the summers.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Nah, it was just satirical shorthand for "I feel that old".
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't start really exercising until I was 38, so in my irrational thinking, I've molly-coddled my bones and muscles for most of my life, so they can take a beating now. :laugh: My brother is in his mid 50s, runs regularly and has been running for 30+ years. If I keep running for 30+ years, that'll take me into my 70s.

Then maybe I'll take up roller derby. :drinker:
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There was a lady on the news the other day, who didn't start lifting weights until her 90's and she looked and acted 30 years younger!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I already felt old. I started exercising so I would feel less old. Seems to be working.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I present to you: Jon Bon Jovi, 51 years old. Ad for Versace.

Pretty sure he doesn't think about his age when he works out.

2411hjo.jpg
    Helloooooo nurse! Well, that helped me reach my max HR without doing any HIIT :laugh: Jonbon's certainly age-appropriate for me :love:

Mmmmm... A fascinating thread, I'm sure, but all I can think about now is mmmmm....

As you know, Berry, you've really inspired me to run because you really do Just Do It, without making it sound ridiculously easy or impossible. Keep up the inspiration :flowerforyou:
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I don't think about my age when I workout. I try just as hard to do just as much today as I did at 18 when I first joined a gym. I KNOW I don't dance and move the way I used to, but I pretend I can. Age won't slow me down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nah, it was just satirical shorthand for "I feel that old".
    ahhh.. I have my moments....
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just want to say my husband has been working out with weights for as long as we've married (44yrs) and at 65 yrs he's still going strong.
  • lynn413
    lynn413 Posts: 40
    Options
    My husband is going to be 60 this year and he is still going strong with weight lifting. And he looks great. I do walking and treadmill and resistance training and I feel great!!
  • jssteph
    jssteph Posts: 2
    Options
    You are ONLY JUST BEGINNING. I highly recommend you go to the library and check out the book "Younger Next Year". It is an easy read and will totally turn upside down everything you think you know about aging and physical activity/quality of life. I am 60 and have NEVER been in better total physical condition. You have MANY years yet to go.............embrace them and crank it up!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching 56 now and I can tell you I can run nowhere nearly as fast as I could in my 20's (approaching 9 minutes per mile now on 5+ mile distances compared to 7 minutes per mile then) although I was sedentary for many years in between. But now I enjoy it more despite struggling more. I'm trying to have fun exercising whereas when I was young it felt more like something I had to do. That may sound backwards but it's true. Yes, I need it more now for my health but I care less about beating a time or winning or how I look. The other morning I ran six miles and was caught up the entire time listening to my breathing against a background of all the birds singing. And when I finished, I was exhausted but smiling. Thirty years ago, I would have been checking my watch, looking to see where other runners were, and imagining how hot I might look. Thank goodness I'm older now.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I :heart: this thread.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I turn 61 in May....did not even start exercising till I was 56.....I do it all P 90X ,Insanity....Zumba turbo fire...Kickboxing....I run 6 miles at least 3 times a week.And have run 1/2 marathons this year....so here's for being inappropriate.
    P.S friend me any one that in my age category like minded.
  • reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and am training to be more fit than I have ever been in my life. I started this journey at 45 with the Wii fit exercise routines. Did Insanity, doing 30 day shred now and may train to do a 5k sometime in the future. (it never dawned on me that Jon BonJovi was 51....I guess I can make myself look younger by doing all of this training. I know I feel a lot younger)