Are your workouts age-appropriate?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Once you are in your 40's, everything changes for men and women. At that stage, your working out becomes more work and your eating habits become more of a focus!

Good luck and hope you concur your goals.
  • IndigoAmour
    Options
    I definately think there has to be much consideration for age as well as physical limitations due to injuries or medical conditions. We all would love to try to ignore what our body is telling us with aches and pain however it isn't realistic. You may injure yourself or make your medical condition worse. I wore myself out when I was younger with heavy physical activity and I am paying for it now. My joints are wore out, bursitis and arthritis and I have fibromyalgia. I would love to see a web site with recommendations for age appropriate exercises and fitness tips for those of us over 50.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Psh. Ask Fauja Singh, 101 year old marathoner.

I want to be that 51 year old butt running in those Nike Ads. Not just to have a fantastic butt, but so I can keep kicking butt in my Golden Years.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've been working out since my teens, am older than you are, and I've recently gotten stronger through my core and upper body than I've been in my adult life. I'm more careful about impact than I used to be, and avoid too much repetitive motion. Anyone who is offended by your age, appearance, or exercise appropriate clothing, has a problem.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Once you are in your 40's, everything changes for men and women. At that stage, your working out becomes more work and your eating habits become more of a focus!

More work? My work out is more fun than it used to be, and I'm a lot better at eating less than I used to be.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I feel better now at 41 than I did at 30. However, I was very fit when I was in my 20s, then fell off the wagon. So when I started being active again recently, I certainly have noticed that I can't do things or expect the same results. Small aches and pains, much longer to get results, and of course, jumping is not good news (TMI but my bladder does not enjoy jumping!).

But I still push myself, sometimes too much, because my brain hasn't figured out I'm no longer 20 and I expect to be able to do the same things I did 20 years ago!
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I 'm 60 years old and have been working out most of my life. I 've been a NASM certified personal trainer since 2001 and ACE certified since 1997 and taught 6 - 8 Spinning classes weekly for 14 years. So no....I think everything is age appropriate! However, at any age some things will be less appropriate than others due to fitness level, injuries, muscle imbalances etc.

I'm still working as an in-home personal trainer. Age is just a number.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I finally shook off my bronchitis and took the last of my antibiotics last night, so I stopped feeling sorry for myself and went for a, albeit very slow, age-appropriate 35 minute run. I feel much better and, well, younger. Thanks for all your inspiring advice and stories :flowerforyou:
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options

More work? My work out is more fun than it used to be, and I'm a lot better at eating less than I used to be.

Working out is like playtime time the only disadvantage to being older (60) is your body doesn't need many calorie just to exist...hense more exercise.......but think I had more trouble in my 20 's I sure the heck have the best body of my life!!!!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    "Are your workouts age-appropriate?"

No they are not!! :grumble:

Anyway - what is appropriate for my age? :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Working out is like playtime time the only disadvantage to being older (60) is your body doesn't need many calorie just to exist...hense more exercise.......but think I had more trouble in my 20 's I sure the heck have the best body of my life!!!!!
    When you've been exercising a few years, you do learn that it's more important to love what you do rather than what you should be doing for the best. And it's true that you need fewer calories just to love, so you can either eat less or train more. So long as it's fun I know which I'd prefer!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Don't give up yet! I'm 60 and have been working out all my adult life. Right now I spend about an hour a day doing cardio every day. I also do an occasional sprint triathlon. What works for me is mixing it up (not using the same machines for the same time day after day, so some muscle sets get a rest) and also eating right. I'm not on any prescriptions and I lose a day of work due to illness about once every 3 years. My doc (in his 40s) said he wishes he had my range of motion. That part is heriditary, though, my maternal grandma smoked like a chimney and could still lean down and put her palms flat on the floor.

I plan to work till 65, then want to do more long bike rides (in decent weather) and more sprint triathlons. I'll also have time for yoga and maybe a class to improve my swim stroke.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    hahaha... I think you are just looking for an excuse to stop working out. I do that rarely, but I mainly don't since I like to say I'm older than you and I can out excercise you!
    I used to occassionally run with a group in Baltimore. I met a lady there and we decided to run together. I was doing th 9 mile run while she was doing the 16 mile run (the group gives you various distances). So, we started talking and she told me she was 65years. I had to stop, jaw open and all because she looked no older than 40! With her telling me that, I decided to do the 16 with her since she more than trippled my age at the time..