I believe that Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters belong to a cult.

Options

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    So by these definitions... if you like and participate in ANYTHING.... you're part of a cult.

"these definitions" are the ACTUAL definitions.

And no. When did you last hear a football fan say football would cure their diseases. In fact, when was football fandom ever a really small group of people.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My name is Natalee and I am an unclean eater. I bet I can beat you all in a 5k too! And I ate twinkies yesterday... hahaha! For all you people bashing cupcakes!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

1 : formal religious veneration : worship
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b : the object of such devotion
    c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

i believe Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters fit each of definitions 4, 5a, and 5c to a greater or lesser extent.
    insults are against the community guidelines. you can get a strike for that.

I'm pretty sure that posting a topic where you call a group of people a cult will probably run afoul of the community guidelines too.

"Cult" is not an insult. How is providing a dictionary definition an insult?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I like when people get butthurt.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people choose to put in their mouths.

Apparently this guy does

can you point to exactly what i've written on this thread that implies i care one way or the other about what you eat?

i personally find the Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters advice on this site to be often silly, and mostly derived from food phobias. it occurred to me that advice was not rational, so i looked up the definition of "cult" and sure enough, that definition has helped me to understand these people and why they give the advice they give.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

i believe Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters fit each of definitions 4, 5a, and 5c to a greater or lesser extent.

I'm pretty sure that posting a topic where you call a group of people a cult will probably run afoul of the community guidelines too.

How is this not an insult? The connotation of the word 'cult' is far from a good one and it seems that this entire post is designed to get a rise from people. In which case, maybe the OP is just trolling.
  • twiggypal
    twiggypal Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ooohh cult....wrong thread
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    My name is Natalee and I am an unclean eater. I bet I can beat you all in a 5k too! And I ate twinkies yesterday... hahaha! For all you people bashing cupcakes!

you're awesome. :drinker:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Actually he didn't call a group of people a cult... the topic states "I believe that paleo/primal/clean eatersbelong to a cult" And then he posted the deftinition of a cult... its his belief... You interpreted to the fact that he was calling it a cult... your interpretation is wrong.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I like when people get butthurt.

Me too.

Makes me want to get a popcorn gif.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Useless thread is useless...

..but it did remind me of a song sung by these guys:

600full-living-colour.jpg

Very nice. ;) I am a big fan of Living Colour/Corey Glover
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

How is this not an insult? The connotation of the word 'cult' is far from a good one and it seems that this entire post is designed to get a rise from people. In which case, maybe the OP is just trolling.

Your interpretation of this is your own interpretation. However, the OP never insulted anyone, just stated his belief that those who follow these diets fit the definition.

From what I have seen here (ie, no logical or calm responses), perhaps he is right.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mhv833NJly1qhew4eo5_250_zpsa4faa863.gif
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to point out, that I'm...

h2562A3CE
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA!
    This is hilarious >>>>>>> I believe that Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters belong to a cult.

I would consider these eating approaches to be a form of lifestyle, not a cult! :L
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    So by these definitions... if you like and participate in ANYTHING.... you're part of a cult.

"these definitions" are the ACTUAL definitions.

And no. When did you last hear a football fan say football would cure their diseases. In fact, when was football fandom ever a really small group of people.

So now we are getting into the relative definition of group size?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, eating healthy, home prepared meals from foods found in nature is just the stupidest idea ever. Curing disease by changing one's diet is even more stupid. Instead we should be following all the advice of MFP "a calorie is a calorie" experts, take lots of meds for all of our ailments, and keep eating "normal" processed foods (most of which didn't exist 100 years ago).

(Why are many people SO threatened by people that choose to eliminate foods that make them sick and fat??? It gets tiring. Not only can we never share our stories, even when asked, without ignorance and ridicule, but threads are created just to insult one lifestyle choice. I don't get it.)

Yes, many Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters are very passionate; it's because we have learned that being sick/fat is not normal and is preventable and curable with diet. We want to help other people have the same experience. But people like you can just go ahead keep doing what you are doing and "wait for the cure" for diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease, depression, etc. Best luck to you.

OP and others: do some research into "diseases of Civilization". I find it ludicrous that people think lifestyle (including food) plays no role in health. It's illogical.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Oh. Another food fight. Carry on.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    There seem to be quite a few diet-related cult memes and they are evolving and speciating at an ever-increasing rate.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    doctorIDK_zpsbdb71367.gif
This discussion has been closed.