I believe that Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters belong to a cult.

Options

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    My name is Natalee and I am an unclean eater. I bet I can beat you all in a 5k too! And I ate twinkies yesterday... hahaha! For all you people bashing cupcakes!

you're awesome. :drinker:

Completely with you. I eat carbs...in fact I had macaroni lasagna last night and I'm making a broccoli mac and cheese tonight. AND I'm sitting here munching on a granola bar as a snack between meals. OH THE SHAME!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Where did you get twinkies? jealous. None left in my town.:(
    [/quote
    I got my twinkies in Canada! Awesome stuff!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    So by your definitions, every religious organization is a cult, football fans are a cult, people that watch celebrity gossip are a colt.

aka, you're dumb.

insults are against the community guidelines. you can get a strike for that.

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Topics

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

You honestly think posting this to the main forum was a good idea and wont start controversy? LOL

Also, for you do be correct you also need to prove that Paleo is "based on dogma" AND prove that its just a FAD. Neither of which I believe are true. Although dogmatic "could" be used to refer to any belief, it is generally disparagingly to apply it to other things other than a religious context. Nice try though.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You're all acting like a bunch of cavemen - behave !!!!:laugh:
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    eating healthy, home prepared meals from foods found in god is just the stupidest idea ever. Curing disease by changing one's god is even more stupid. Instead we should be following all the advice of MFP "a calorie is a calorie" experts, take lots of meds for all of our ailments, and keep eating "normal" processed foods (most of which didn't exist 100 years ago).

(Why are many people SO threatened by people that choose to eliminate god that make them sick and fat??? It gets tiring. Not only can we never share our stories, even when asked, without ignorance and ridicule, but threads are created just to insult one lifestyle choice. I don't get it.)

Yes, many the new god followers are very passionate; it's because we have learned that being sick/fat is not normal and is preventable and curable with god. We want to help other people have the same experience. But people like you can just go ahead keep doing what you are doing and "wait for the cure" for diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease, depression, etc. Best luck to you.

OP and others: do some research into "diseases of Civilization". I find it ludicrous that people think god (including food) plays no role in health. It's illogical.
    See what i did there... MAYBE NOT
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Paleo is more of a way of life than a cult.
    I'd say people defining their cult as a 'way of life' is so often one of the signs that it IS a cult :P.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't think that clean eaters are a cult- it's not something I want to do, but I don't care if someone does. Having them over for a dinner party is challenging though! But I do think that sometimes when someone is espousing the benefits of a paleo or clean diet- it can come off as self righteous and judgmental. And that is what makes people get defensive. Math is math and a calorie is a calorie and strictly for weight loss purposes a deficit is a deficit- just like if we both have $500 in a checking account one of us spends $600 on gambling and junk food and one of us spends $600 on paying bills and paying down debt- either way we both are overdrawn on our checking accounts. You could argue that it's worth the overdraw fees to pay off some bills- but we both are still down $100- So if you have a net deficit with pop tarts and ice cream or with lean meats, veggies and ancient grains you would still lose weight- but the quality of the food and how it makes you feel and the energy you glean from it would differ. If eating 100% clean makes you feel good then go for it, but most of us want an oreo once in a while and should be able to do so without judgment- just like if you choose to eat clean that's your deal and more power to you. Just don't eat clean b/c it makes you feel superior to people that don't- do it if it makes you feel healthy and happy.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I think I found some left over from the 80's.

Dang it! I should have saved mine!
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    guess we are all part of ones then
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    So by your definitions, every religious organization is a cult, football fans are a cult, people that watch celebrity gossip are a colt.

aka, you're dumb.

You honestly think posting this to the main forum was a good idea and wont start controversy? LOL

Also, for you do be correct you also need to prove that Paleo is "based on dogma" AND prove that its just a FAD. Neither of which I believe are true. Nice try though.

Dogma is the official system of belief or doctrine held by a religion, or a particular group or organization.[1] It serves as part of the primary basis of an ideology or belief system, and it cannot be changed or discarded without affecting the very system's paradigm, or the ideology itself.

yep. paleo's based on dogma
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    [/quote
    I got my twinkies in Canada! Awesome stuff!

There are twinkies left in Canada??? Road trip this weekend, good thing I live in MT where Canada isn't too far away!
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Apparently they did a study and concluded that one of the main side effects of paleo/primal/clean eating lifestyle is that your head grows bigger and you lose the ability to talk about anything else with your friends.

They're currently doing the same study with Crossfit as well.
    QFT
    And Vegans.
    I know some vegans who aren't like that, though. (And I know some that are...).

PeTA is definitely a cult. Hypocritical cult, at that, given that their kill stats of "rescued" animals is 85-97% for the past 10+ years.
    People Eating Tasty Animals is a rather large cult...
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My name is Natalee and I am an unclean eater. I bet I can beat you all in a 5k too! And I ate twinkies yesterday... hahaha! For all you people bashing cupcakes!

Completely with you. I eat carbs...in fact I had macaroni lasagna last night and I'm making a broccoli mac and cheese tonight. AND I'm sitting here munching on a granola bar as a snack between meals. OH THE SHAME!

I think we should encourage the people who hate carbs to continue hating carbs. More for us, right? And it keeps the cost down! I so want some of that mac and cheese right now! Sounds yummy!
  • newdaydawning79
    Options
    I don't think that clean eaters are a cult- it's not something I want to do, but I don't care if someone does. Having them over for a dinner party is challenging though! But I do think that sometimes when someone is espousing the benefits of a paleo or clean diet- it can come off as self righteous and judgmental. And that is what makes people get defensive. Math is math and a calorie is a calorie and strictly for weight loss purposes a deficit is a deficit- just like if we both have $500 in a checking account one of us spends $600 on gambling and junk food and one of us spends $600 on paying bills and paying down debt- either way we both are overdrawn on our checking accounts. You could argue that it's worth the overdraw fees to pay off some bills- but we both are still down $100- So if you have a net deficit with pop tarts and ice cream or with lean meats, veggies and ancient grains you would still lose weight- but the quality of the food and how it makes you feel and the energy you glean from it would differ. If eating 100% clean makes you feel good then go for it, but most of us want an oreo once in a while and should be able to do so without judgment- just like if you choose to eat clean that's your deal and more power to you. Just don't eat clean b/c it makes you feel superior to people that don't- do it if it makes you feel healthy and happy.

So much win in this comment. :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

1 : formal religious veneration : worship
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b : the object of such devotion
    c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

i believe Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters fit each of definitions 4, 5a, and 5c to a greater or lesser extent.

you might be a cult, too..

(might have made a typo..ahem!)
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo and just want to say that I would never judge you for you habits.

Your rant on my life style does not phase me.

We are on this site to keep our health in mind and focus on our goals. Negativity does not help anyone.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

aka, you're dumb.

Also, for you do be correct you also need to prove that Paleo is "based on dogma" AND prove that its just a FAD. Neither of which I believe are true. Nice try though.

Dogma is the official system of belief or doctrine held by a religion, or a particular group or organization.[1] It serves as part of the primary basis of an ideology or belief system, and it cannot be changed or discarded without affecting the very system's paradigm, or the ideology itself.

So is the standard american diet....just sayin'
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

aka, you're dumb.

So is the standard american diet....just sayin'

agreed. most things are.
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

I think we should encourage the people who hate carbs to continue hating carbs. More for us, right? And it keeps the cost down! I so want some of that mac and cheese right now! Sounds yummy!

It's delicious! It's a Hungry Girl recipe but I'm taking out the laughing cow cheese and adding some FF cheddar for more flavor. Probably not the most healthful thing in the world but I get my pasta (whole grain - which I love) and vegetables! And more for us is right! :D
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    KEBROSIS
This discussion has been closed.